Notify
Tools

7Mag is 3 for 3 so far.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted
All does but they taste just as good.
Was using Rem 175gr core lokts factory as I traded to rifle 4 days before season.
1st doe 13 y.o. nephew shot at 250 yds through heart, did 100 yard dash
2nd dad shot about 30 yds head shot
3rd I shot about 40 yds spine.

My 1st time ever using Core Lokts. Obviously held together a lot better than a ballistic tip, seem to hold together good after hitting bone. Although obviously on the deer all 3 bullets exited. As this was my first time using core lokts I think I would definately choose these over ballistic tips for anything bigger than caribou, but I guess these little ole deer will be about all I hunt for the next few years.

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Remmy bullets are pretty good if your rifle likes them. I have had excellent performance on game in rifles that would accurately shoot them.

Congrats!!

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Sounds like your new rifle is doing quite well.

However, I must point out something: Given bullets of similar caliber and weight (or sectional density) and at similar impact velocities, the Ballistic Tip performs very similarly to the Remington C-L. In some cases (.30 caliber, 150 grain, for example) the Ballistic Tip actually out-penetrates the C-L.

Test them for yourself before making a rash judgement...

Of course, they need to be used as the manufacturer recommends. Do so, and you'll enjoy one of the finest medium-game bullets ever to leave a barrel.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobby Tomek:
Sounds like your new rifle is doing quite well.

However, I must point out something: Given bullets of similar caliber and weight (or sectional density) and at similar impact velocities, the Ballistic Tip performs very similarly to the Remington C-L. In some cases (.30 caliber, 150 grain, for example) the Ballistic Tip actually out-penetrates the C-L.

Test them for yourself before making a rash judgement...

Of course, they need to be used as the manufacturer recommends. Do so, and you'll enjoy one of the finest medium-game bullets ever to leave a barrel.

I agree I think the ballistic tip is a great bullet as I have used them or saw them used in 243- 70gr, 80gr and 95 gr, 257wby mag, 270, 7mm stw, 300 ultra mag and other calibers and they work great but if pushed too fast they are like a bomb going off.
I just bought some 140gr ballistic tips that I am going to load and see how they shoot. Whatever shoots the best is what I am going to hunt with.

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Jarrod-

Just remember: Take Nosler's advice and keep the muzzle velocity at no more than 3000 or 3100 fps. You will still have a very flat-shooting load.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jarrod:

I like Core-Lokt bullets as well. Have shot a ton of stuff with BTs as well, biggest critter being a zebra and 4 gemsbok, as well as about 8 or 9 caribou.

Once you get an accurate load for your rifle, you can often substitute a premium bullet by just seating it so that the OAL when measured with a comparator is the same. It works great when I switch from Hornady .338 225s to Barnes Triple Shocks in 225 grain.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote