New
Find
Notify
Tools

Boddington on Mt. Lion hunting
 Login/Join

<cubdriver>
posted
In the January issue of American Hunter, Boddington stated that the American lion "Will not come to bait" and "Rarely can be coaxed with a varmint call".

Is this the case...? I was under the impression that they could successfully be baited and called where legal.

I was hoping to employ some calling techniques in central Washington state this winter given the opportunity.

Any information on successful techniques would be appreciated.
CD

<X-Ring>
posted
One of my custimers (I'm a auto tech) is a moutain lion guide here in MT. He loves telling the story about the guy who he set out in the Judith Basin area. It seems the hunt that day was for coyotee's (not a custimer hunt just friends) his buddy sits down whith his back to a shrub, and starts calling after awhile out of no where a paw comes aroung from behind a smacks him right in the face. He screams and turns to see he's attacker. Only to see the back end of a young lion bounce off through the brush. They think it was just a young lion confussed by what he was seeing because he's claws where retracted leaveing no marks or damage behind. Well exept underwear stains
Now I can't confirm that story, and it doesn't mean a mature lion will be called in, but it is a case for calling working.
Hope it helps. Even if it just serves to make you laugh. Which we can all use a little more of these days.
X-Ring AKA Scooter

------------------
Praise the Lord, and pass the ammunition!

If your living like there is no HELL, you better be right!

<X-Ring>
posted
cubdriver
Welcome aboard! You won't find a better group of guys on the net. I have learned more about hunting, and had hours of fun talking to these guys. There are some real top shelf people here. Hope you enjoy getting to know them.
X-Ring AKA Scooter

<Zeke>
posted
Somewhere I read that the Oregon Dept of Fish and Wildlife cautioned coyote hunters to be very alert when attempting to call in coyotes. The article I read did not give a specific incident, but it did say that if a person is calling coyotes, be on the lookout for cougars.
I haven't read Boddington's article so I don't know where he was hunting, but if he wants to hunt cougar he should come here. You can't go very far out of town before tripping over several cougars. Sometimes you don't have to leave town! The cougar population in Oregon has exploded in the last few years. I never go anywhere in the woods without some sort of firearm and a valid cougar tag.

ZM

one of us
posted Hide Post

I was hoping to employ some calling techniques in central Washington state this winter given the opportunity.CD[/B][/QUOTE]

North Eastern WA. From the Cloumbia river east and the Spokane river north is great cat country!!

Have fun!!

Posts: 2352 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If a mountain lion,a bear,a coyote,a fox,a hawk,an eagle,or a bluejay hears a call,they will come in.All of them have scavenger instincs and will NEVER pass up a free meal.

A turkey hunter hear a few years back was attacked my a mountain lion when he was working his turkey call.He got pretty chewed up and lived to tell about it but there wasn't much left of the cat after two or three rounds of 12 guage 3.5 inch magnums at point blank range.

------------------
I'm out to wrong rights,depress the opressed,and generaly make an ass of myself!

Posts: 529 | Location: Humboldt County,CA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Never hunted Mountain Lion, but I do have an interest in all the big cats...

I have only ever heard of one person talking about taking a mountain lion over bait, and that was an outfitter/PH who postson a another forum who was after a problem animal which had killed some of his goats. If I remember the story correctly, he tracked the animal until he found where the carcass had been hidden by the cougar then waited over it. Not sure whether mountain lions are a scavangers or not, so not sure if placing a dead bait would work. Also, don't the trappers use a scent lure and something like a hanging feather as an attractant for cougars???

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been told they will only eat their own kills.

Posts: 359 | Location: 40N,104W | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
<J Brown>
posted
I was told by a hunter who chased lions for years here in CA and worked with F&G tagging lions after hunting them was banned in 77 that lions only eat their own kill. He also stated lions usually only eat the internal organs and leave the rest of the dear to the scavengers.

A sporting goods store owner in Idaho told me he bow hunted lions by calling them in. This same blowhard also told me lions will jump out of trees onto a passing hunter, so all hunters should carry handguns. I took everything he said with a grain of salt.

Jason

one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
I have had two Mountain Lions come in while calling. The first was in SE Oklahoma while calling coyotes. He came in to a fawn distress call. My calling partner saw him jump off a ledge and start working through the mesquite behind me. It is illegal to shoot lions in Oklahoma, so he just hollered for me to stand up and the lion took off.

The second lion was called in on purpose in Arizona while hunting with a friend of mine that calls lions for a living. He uses an electronic caller with a fawn decoy and a combination of distress and lion sounds. Last season he called in 20 lions. His clients take about 40% of those called in. On the rest, they either don't get a shot, freeze, or blow the shot. Here is a link to Steve's site if you want some more information: http://www.azpredatorhunts.com/

Good Hunting,

Bob C.

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
While I have no doubt a cougar will respond to a call, I would imagine their lower population density and their natural sectretiveness/wariness makes them more difficult to hunt by the average hunter by calling than say coyote or fox....

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The only guy I know here who hunts lions uses dogs. I'm not sure about the baiting situation, I'll have to check into it. As for lions jumping on hunters, we had one jump an an older gentleman in Hinton (little town west of here) who was going out to start his truck last spring. Luckily he had his parka on and just ended up bruised and battered. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
<cubdriver>
posted
Bob in TX
Thanks for the website... This guy sounds real interesting. I might try and pay him a visit next I'm in the lower 48.

It seems to me that there is a tremendous opportunity in western U.S. for anyone who is interested in lion hunting, providing you like a good challenge and have a little creative ability.

I am continually awe-inspired by this forum!

Gentlemen...Thank you! CD

one of us
posted Hide Post
Last Year While hunting elk in the Bob Marshall Wilderness, I spent one afternoon at a mineral lick using a cow lek call on and off. Later that afternoon my guide joined in from the other side of the lick.
Late in the afternoon I decided it was time to meet up with him and saddle up for the trip abck to camp. When I was where I thought I had last heard him I bumped into a big male Mt. Lion app. 50 feet away. Seems the lion was scoping out the "elk herd" we had created. The guide had seen him too but it was the first time in 3 years he hadn't bothered to purchase a licnese.
Rich Elliott

------------------
Ethiopian Rift Valley Safaris

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lion habits vary as to location...I was raised in a heavy populated Lion area in West Texas Big Bend country and only had one Lion in my life come to a call...shot the rest hunted with dogs or in traps..My dad was recognized as one of the foremost Lion experts in the world and was a Gov. trapper for many years to sub his ranching..

South Western desert Lions will not come to bait or return to kills, as a rule....Pacific North West Lions get hungry and will sometimes come to a bait and will return to kills. MOstly because they are hunting winter feed grounds, I suspect and have modified behavior to the circumstances..

Lots of garbage about Lions out there such as killing the weak animals in a deer herd so the herd will survive when in fact LIons are a better judge of carcass condition than the best butcher..they will pick the fattest doe in the bunch when given a choice and they kill the very biggest of bucks during the rut when the bucks stink and are easy to find..A lion can kill the biggest bull elk out there if he takes a mind to....Lions kill by breaking the neck with the paw and will usually eat the stomach contents of an animal first of all, thats Lion salad...well I could go on and on about Lions but thats getting off the question...

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41880 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Juneau>
posted
In most areas, lions are probably a lot like our big Brown Bear here in AK. If you are out deer hunting with your .270, .30-06, etc.and blowing on a fawn bleat, will a bear sneak up and scare the crap out of you? - you bet! If you took the same call along with your.375, .416 etc. and went out and tried to call up a bear - could you? Not a snowballs chance in hell!

<cubdriver>
posted
Ray
Interesting point about modified behavior...only makes sense. Are you aware of any definitive work written on Mt. lion hunting, behavior, ect. Having spent all of my adult life in Alaska I don't have much first hand experience on the subject.

Juneau
I know what you mean about bears. Early in my deer hunting experiences on Kodiak Island I learned that one didn't spend a lot of time admiring the kill...once the crows and magpies started squawking, the nearest brown bear would be there in short order!

I know of several instances where bears have come to dear and predator calls.

I have lost a good number of deer kills to brown bear...one in particular while my partner and I were "Admiring" the kill!
CD

[This message has been edited by cubdriver (edited 01-08-2002).]

[This message has been edited by cubdriver (edited 01-08-2002).]

<leo>
posted
Hornocker would be the foremost authority on mt. lions as his Hornocker institute in Idaho is regularly hired by different states for lion research. He is also involved with research on the siberian tiger as well as the leopard that occupy that area. Exxon is the sponser as they should be(tiger in your tank).

<leo>
posted
Make that Dr. Maurice Hornocker.

<audsley>
posted
I want to take issue with a couple of Atkinson's statements about mountain lions. Here in southern Arizona we have quite a few mountain lions and therefore quite a bit of mountain lion expertise. I agree with all Atkinson's remarks except two.

First, mountain lions will return to kills. I personally witnessed a mountain lion deer kill in late afternoon and saw the lion leaving the site the following morning. Also, there was a case of a homeowner at the edge of Tucson who phoned the state game and fish department to report there was a mountain lion standing atop his patio wall. The officer who investigated found the lion sleeping in a tree a few hundred yards up the side of the mountain; just behind the patio wall was a dead deer partially covered up with brush. The homeowner and the officers kept tabs on it for a few days as the lion kept returning until the deer was completely devoured.

I once personally witnessed a lion killing a deer in late afternoon and then watched the lion leaving the scene early the following morning. It might have been there all night, or it might have left and come back, I can't really say.

As for eating stomachs, lions remove stomachs from their dead prey but don't eat them. (For what it's worth, my house cat doesn't eat the stomachs of the mice and wood rats it kills. Seems eating stomachs just isn't a cat thing.) Lions eat the lungs and organs of their prey first, then hind quarters, then the rest of the meat. Coincidentally or otherwise, this happens also to be the order in which meat will spoil.

Coyotes often manage to harrass lions into leaving their kills by skulking about the scene in packs, thus taking advantage of the mountain lion's innate nervousness. Coyotes do eat paunches, and lion kills with the stomachs missing and the prey's parts spread all around were probably taken over by coyotes, whereas killed prey that have the stomachs lying next to the body and the body otherwise fairly intact except for missing meat and organs will usually display only the tracks of mountain lions.

The above information was given to me by a Saguaro National Park ranger who specializes in tracking and reconstructing scenes both for law enforcement and wildlife management purposes.

posted Hide Post
I remember seeing some footage of a rescue cougar being returned to the wild. Because it was relatively used to humans even after a couple of years, it still allowed its handler to film ect. They filmed it killing a whitetail. They only way I can describe the method would be calling it a strike with its paws. Basically when the cat sprung it hit the deer in the shoulder area with its two paws locked straight in front of it.
The camera crew skinned the carcass after, and the impact damage in the area of the strike was severe...looked a bit like a gun shot wound. The near side ribs were badly broken and the splinters had pierced the heart,& lungs. In fact some splinters were recovered under the hide on the off side.
The off side ribs were badly bruised and peppered with bone splinters. Although the cat did grip the whitetail by the throat once it had fallen, I think the original injuries would have been fatal anyway.

Pete

<X-Ring>
posted
In Rays defence
Not that Ray has ever needed help
My one and only dealing with a lion in the wild. Was about three years ago. I was hunting deer in a box canyon I often hunt due to a high number of large bucks, and lots of does. On this morning there was nothing moving. I walked all morning, and all I found was tracks going every which way. I had had enough and was walking out when I came across a drag in the the snow. So I started walking in it as it was headed toward the truck. Then it turned and headed up hill back up into the box canyon. I thought on some body got turned around. I better go see if they need help getting out of here. I went a little ways and found a deer covered in pine needles and dirt and lion tracks every where. Me being the investigative type I started looking at it.When I brushed away the dirt and stuff I grabbed The head and was admireing the rack. Thats when I heard this blood curtleing growl. My old 41 was out right now and I got the hell out of there pronto, I searched the trees all the way out.(sound was coming from some where above me) I never saw the cat.

Here are my points. And you thought there wasn't a point
That cat had not really left that kill. He had just moved off a 100-200 yds and was resting and digesting. In my book for him to go back and eat from it again isn't concidered returning. He never really left.

Things of note;
I never saw any tracks until I got to the eating sight. He must have been tragging it behind him self as he pulled back wards. This would cover the tracks in the snow.

I spoke to another hunter later in the day that said he saw deer boiling out of the canyon right at sunup. I had been in there all day my self ariving around 1 hour after sunup. I found this kill about two in the afternoon. So that cat had been there around 6-7 hours. I asume it's killing this big buck is what scared the other deer out at sunup. So 6-7 hours later that cat still up a tree watching its kill.

My real point is this every time we think we know the animal kingdom. It will throw us a curve. Maybe in Rays area there is enough game the cats don't need to gaurd a kill or have need to return to one. These are very good hunters and killers. If the game is there it's nothing for lion to kill it. So why would they stay and gaurd leftovers, or come back for left overs. I read that the most nuterants in an animal are in the intestines. That is why Cats, bears, and dogs eat them first.(It's instingtive) So once there gone why return when there are more animals in the area to kill.

Animals rarely follow our rules of what we think they will or won't do. there are definit speices patterns of behavoir, but they will change, and adapt in differnt areas to survive.
It's what I love about the great outdoors that God blessed us with. Every day you will learn something if you just watch for it!
JMHO X-Ring AKA Scooter

------------------
Praise the Lord, and pass the ammunition!

If your living like there is no HELL, you better be right!

[This message has been edited by X-Ring (edited 01-08-2002).]

posted Hide Post
That watching the kill from a distance is a
fairly typical big cat behaviour as is protecting/hiding the kill from others.
These same instincts are found in other cat species to a greater or lesser degree. Interesting stuff.....

one of us
posted Hide Post
I went on a Mt. Lion hunt two years ago...Weather was horrible for the first few days so I spent alot of my time shooting the sh*t with my guide...Learned alot.

He said calling lions can be done, but you first have to know there is even a lion in the area. So, you'll look for tracks, then try calling...Might get lucky. He was of the opinion that if you could find a track, why waste time calling? Just put the dogs on it. Of course, this doesn't help our Washington friend who can't use dogs.

For those who care, pictures of my lion (hunt) are at:
http://www.suburbia.com/~mbundy/lion.html

My father has a picture taken by a family friend of two bucks locked together with one of them being dead. There is a lion eating on the haunches of the dead one. I'll see if I can get the picture from him long enough to scan in...

Michael

Posts: 160 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 28 September 2000Reply With Quote
<Gunner>
posted
My friend and I once (accidentally) called in a fairly large Mountain Lion while we were trying for fox in Southeast AZ (Huachuca Mountains). BIG cat (looked like a Mack truck to us) came in behind and was scoping us out from about 15 yards away when we heard it; of course we were both armed with .22 Win Mag rifles - not legal to shoot M.Lion with in AZ. That was the last time I ever went hunting without a sidearm...

<cubdriver>
posted
Mbundy
Did your guide use hounds to locate your lion or did he use a predator call or some other techniques...? I'm off to Washington on a lion hunt in about 6 weeks and I'm trying to learn as much about calling and decoying techniques as possible between now and than.

I have always believed that any predator could be deceived into thinking his prey was at hand... though challenging it may be.

I've been fairly successful calling predators here at home, although wolves are tough nut to crack because of their social structure and the fact that they're moving a lot in the winter... but back to my point.

I think Boddington underrates calling because there are only a handful of hunters who are consistently successful...probably because lions are not as easy as coyotes and traditionally it's been a game for houndsmen...anyway, I've located what I believe to be a high density cat area and I'm gona give it a shot!

Gentlemen
Thanks again for all the great posts in this thread
CD

[This message has been edited by cubdriver (edited 01-09-2002).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Cub Driver,
I'm a fellow caller here. I would like to have the opportunity to try for a large cat. I was just wondering if you called dogs in March or April up here. I use a 30.06 with 110 grain solids for them; however, The first two only. The other three are 200 grn. Nozzlers for the "other" furbearers that will respond!!! Was just thinking that calling in a few of them in the spring might prepair you for the thrill of coming eye to eye with that cat when the time arrives!
best,
bhtr

Posts: 223 | Location: Soldotna, Alaska | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With Quote
<Dale>
posted
Harley Shaw has written at least two books on mountain lions. He is (may be retired now) a biologist with the Arizona Game and Fish Department and probably the top current mountain lion specialist. One book by Shaw is sold by the Arizona Game and Fish, but I can't find my copy to give you the title. His other book is "Soul Among Lions - The Cougas as Peaceful Adversary", 1989, Johnson Books. Another good, but somewhat dated, book is "The Puma - Mysterious American Cat" by Stanley P. Young and Edward A. Goldman, 1946, Dover Publications. I got a copy on interlibrary loan, but now have a copy that a wildlife biologist friend gave me. He used it as a text in graduate school. If you have the time, you can find more information in journal articles than you will get from books.

I have guided for an outfitter in northwestern Colorado for mountain lions for about 10 years, so I have been fortunate to see a lot of lions. In my work with the Forest Service here in Utah I have also seen a few, found lots of kills, had a run-in with a large Tom on a fire in Idaho, etc., so I have been able to observe some of their habits in this part of the country. They do return to kills as long as the meat is unspoiled, so in the winter they eat most of it. They generally rest a short distance from the kill where they can watch it and eat about twice a day. This can really confuse the dogs because there are tracks going everywhere around the kill. A mature lion probably kills a deer about every 10 days in this area.

One interesting thing I have noticed is how precisely they follow the same route around their territory, which may take up to 2 weeks. The only one I have taken myself crossed the road in the same place about every 10 days. It took 3 years to catch him because he would always go into a canyon that seemed to have several sets of tracks and the dogs would get off on another lion. One that we never did catch would for years pass an old dead spruce tree on the same side, and leave a "scratch" in the same spot.

I have known several people who have called lions with a predator call. They come in slow and quiet like a bobcat, not running like a coyote, so the hunter may move on before the cat gets there. The hunter may also not see the cat. Gerry Blair is a well-known predator caller who has written a book called "Predator Caller's Companion". It has a chapter on calling mountain lions.

Good luck with your calling. Let us know how it works.

<cubdriver>
posted
Bearhunt'r
I try to get out every week or so for fox or dogs. The lion season closes March 15 in Washington so I'll be heading down there the last weekend in Feb. Prior to that I have a snowmachine trip planned for Mr. Wolfy in 16B so I'll be pretty busy between now and then.

Please encourage your friends to hunt bear and wolf in unit 16B. It is ashamed that the Game Board has let the Wolf/bear situation get out of conrol over there...moose calf survival rate will be 0 this spring and moose hunting will remain closed for many more years to come.
I flew over to close up my hunting camp in August,since we can't hunt moose there any more,and found a piece of siding ripped off the cabin and one or more bruins had ransacked the place...looked like a claymore mine had gone off inside! they even ate my 4-wheeler seat...Anyway...I better not get started on that!

I usally shoot my .270 with 130 Barnes-XLC from the first of March on because of the reason you spoke of...but I've taken most of my predators with a .22 mag including a very large wolverine.
CD

Dale
Thanks for the information on Harley Shaw...I'll call the AZ. F&G Dept and see what what I can find out.
CD

<leo>
posted
I can remember reading a book on the national parks and it had alot of Teddy Roosevelts writing in it. This was many years ago and the book was quite old then. In it they told of how they had a pack horse attacked by a cougar while in the corral, the horse escaping out of the enclosure. When they found it , it had some badly broken ribs obviously done by the cat's paws. Ray is right about them killing full grown elk by wretching the neck and breaking it with their powerful paws and forearms and this according to research done by Maurice Hornocker. An elk's neck is just too big for them to properly bite through to the spine.

<Red Green>
posted
I'll be hunting cat in WA this year, too, and know of one in the area in which I live. I will be using a lion mating tape and other calls, and I guess I'll just see what happens. Baiting and hounds are illegal in WA, so calling is pretty much it unless you get a special tag for taking a problem cat with hounds.

Cubdriver, I'm curious to know what cartridge you plan to use, and what bullet you plan to use. Obviously, it would be ideal to keep the hide as clean as possible while taking the cat quickly and humanely, and I'm struggling between a .270 Win. using 130gr. Partitions, or a .223 with 60gr. Partitions.

posted Hide Post
I would be interested to know what the typical weight of a cougar is??? I have read all sorts, but wondered what the experienced hunters out there find to be true in the area they hunt??

<leo>
posted
Red Green, Since you won't have dogs to keep the cats attention/at bay you might want to use the larger caliber just for protection. Pete E., what I have gleamed from reading various lion research is that the basic average weights of Rocky Mountain and western states cats is: about 150 lbs. for males and 100 lbs. for females. For Texas lions and Florida panthers: about 135 lbs. for males and 90 lbs. for females. The males weigh around 50% more than females due to the masculine heftyness as much as larger frame.

<cubdriver>
posted
Red Green
More than likely, I will use my .270 on this hunt. I consider Mt. Lion to be big game, although, I have no first hand experience hunting them.

I do have some experience with the .223 and given the circumstances that I'll be hunting under, I'll Rely on 59.0 gr of H-4831 behind a 130gr Nosler to extinguish all 9 lives at once...if I'm fortunate enough to bring one in my first time around.

I think the 130 XLC load that I use for sheep and caribou will over penetrate the slender shoulder/lung area of a lion, although, I may be mistaken about that.
But I am very confident however, that the front half of the 130 Nosler will devastate at least the off lung and exit doing a little damage to the pelt of course...But better to err on the side of caution... I don't think lion tracks on my face would bode well with my wife!

If this were a traditional hunt with hounds, where your shot was very close and you could position yourself for a perfect shot, one might consider the .223 or a handgun ect...you have the option of turning the dogs loose again...But, like you I prefer a clean humane kill.
CD

one of us
posted Hide Post
Audsley,
A lion will eat his fill, starting with the chewed up grass in the stomach, thats his salad, I have witnessed this many times, but not on every kill depending on his needs and then will water and lay up for some time even as much as a day, then finish feeding, but will not return later...A desert Lion will travel in a 125 mile circle every 10 to 15 days days and almost in his same tracks...Thats how they are trapped, you find their tracks in a soft aroya, cut sotol and funnel the aroya in to a 3 foot hole and set about 3 or 4 traps in that small area and he will walk right into it within two weeks, every time....

I have no knowledge of Arizona Lions or Lions that hang around town, but they apparantly have different habits, even to attacking dogs, and thats plumb unnatural for a Lion, they run from dogs by nature or at least where hunted..One thing I have learned about wild animals and that is they just might do anything, so when I make a statement about them I am making reference to what they normally do in a wild state, in a certain area. Like I said, Lions will return to a kill in the Pacific Northwest time and time again as they feed in elk wintering grounds and these lions will even eat animals that they have not killed and that is also unnatural to Mt. Lions.

Take into consideration that a Lion kills a deer about every 3rd day in a natural environment and that being excepted fact, then why would one return to a kill after an extended period, doesn't make since..again except under starvation condidtons

Thats just my call, but I know Lions, even lived with an old she lion for years, she never did get used to me...

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41880 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote