THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Replacement for Ruger "Oar Paddle" Stock

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Replacement for Ruger "Oar Paddle" Stock
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have an old Ruger M77 Mk II .308 stainless with the 'oar paddle' stock. I'd like to replace it with a normal synthetic stock - does anyone know of a good after-market stock for this rifle?

Thanks Hunter 308

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you can find a newer Ruger sty stock they are nice.

I have a couple boat paddle stocks I don't think there is a tougher one out there,

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One has to wonder why they ever put that ugly thing out there. It had to have had a big impact on sales.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I dunno, I guess it is a case of beauty is in the eye of the beholder. After using them for a while, I think they're lovely and this is from a guy who loves fine walnut.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
McMillan makes a nice one.
I put one on my younger son's rifle and he likes it a lot.

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1220 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've read a lot of good stuff about Boyd's recently. They'll now do some custom work to them, where a few years ago they wouldn't even cut the LOP longer for me. I've never bought one, but, know several that have and they're pleased. Sounds like prices are very decent too.
They claim to have hundreds of designs.\ to choose from. Plus, made in S/Dak too.
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6028 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
The "feel" of those Ruger boat paddle stocked rifles in stainless is unlike other rifles. The .270 I handled was light and extremely well balanced, more like a .22 rifle.
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
One has to wonder why they ever put that ugly thing out there. It had to have had a big impact on sales.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5239 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one of those guns. The first year (1989 I think) they came out with one in 338 I bought it. As other people have said beauty is in in the eye of the beholder. That gun has been my go to gun ever since I bought it. It has went thru 2 scopes and has covered so many miles, it has seen temps from -35 degrees to 90+ and over a thousand rounds down the tube and taken many animals. It still shoots less than 1 inch with just about every load I use.

I think that is the appeal to me.. A gun that is tough as nails and will perform no matter what the conditions and keep doing that for many years. What more can you ask for.

Posts: 597 | Location: SW Montana | Registered: 28 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For what ever reason there are lots of folks that like that boat paddle stock.I bet you could sell it easy.You might try Stocky (stocks) for a replacement. Big Grin here is a link
https://www.stockysstocks.com

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OLBIKER:
For what ever reason there are lots of folks that like that boat paddle stock.I bet you could sell it easy.

He's right. There is a secondary market for that stock. A lot of people love them. I had a boat paddle in 90s and hated the looks of it. My favorite synthetic stock for a Ruger is a McMillan but they are expensive.

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
There are more than a few people who actively seek out old "boat paddle" stocks to replace the modern Hogue stocks on the Alaskan and Guide models. They are lighter, thinner and extremely tough! You will have no trouble getting $75 for it if its in good condition. I still routinely carry and hunt with my 1990 all weather 30-06, LOVE IT!

Edit; I just saw that yours is a short action (308) stock. Might not be so easy to sell.

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Hunter308
When you have replaced the SA Ruger boat paddle stock, I would love to have it. Ugly but light and tough.
Thanks!

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hunter308:
I have an old Ruger M77 Mk II .308 stainless with the 'oar paddle' stock. I'd like to replace it with a normal synthetic stock - does anyone know of a good after-market stock for this rifle?

Thanks Hunter 308

If you want a fancy one, McMillan and others make excellent stocks. But for a hunting rifle that you aren't afraid of scratching, or using in the rain, snow, and so forth, Hogue makes two stocks that I really like. It's called "rubber over-molded;" one is pillar bedded (aluminum pillars), and the other has a full aluminum bed.

The Hogue with a full aluminum bed costs somewhere around $237.00 for a Ruger .308

I have a "working rifle," a Ruger Stainless .338WM that has the Hogue pillar-bedded stock. I replace the boat-paddle, not because it was ugly, but because the butt pad does not do much against recoil. The Hogue has a nice and thick recoil pad, and the rubber layer feels good in my hand during moose season when it gets cold. When I return home after the hunt, I just wash the mud off with warm water Smiler

Posts: 492 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 20 November 2013Reply With Quote