THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Head shots on mooses...the rest of the story

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Head shots on mooses...the rest of the story
 Login/Join

<Daryl Elder>
posted
If you saw my photo under 'Why head shots...' here is the rest of the story, as Mr. Harvey would say. It was still dark in the a.m. when my buddy(in the photo) and me were heading down a road/cutline when we saw this bull in the middle of said road. Couldn't see much in the headlights of the Argo except his butt and what appeared to be antlers as he was facing away and looking back over said butt at us. We didn't want to spook him so we left the Argo running and didn't get out. As my buddy is from N.Z. and han't killed anything bigger than an opossum, I told him to blast bullwinkle! "I kent see enything" he says. "Shoot him" says I! "I kint see!" he says. "OK, I'll take him!" says I. Not wanting to ruin any meat, I tried for a head/neck shot--you can see the results. Not an easy task to shoot the antler of a moose in the dark with only crappy Argo headlights to see with and a stunned Kiwi sitting beside you--he had his scope cranked up to 9x. That was funny...

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
That's a hilarious picture Daryl!

I've got another head shot story to share, but it isn't quite so funny.

I've never been an advocate of head shots, or neck shots for that matter (despite the fact that my mentor -- my Dad -- was a die-hard neck shooter). Too much potential for the type of injury that will result in a long lingering death in my mind.

This year two parties opened up on a moose in my Dad's field (about an hour west of FSJ) despite it being posted "No Trespassing" every 50m. As I understand it both parties attempted head shots at this moose simultaneously (although one of the shots is pure speculation). One missed and the other hit it. Right in the jaw. It got away, and my Dad saw this thing a couple times over the next couple days with its lower jaw flapping off of its chest. He didn't have his rifle or he would of finished it off. Can't imagine what a lousy death that moose suffered.

The worst part of the story is that in the melee, one of those bullets shot a front leg off of one of my Dad's two year old heifers (bison). The moose was hanging out near his bison herd. The resultant stampede also ended in another death. One of the bison calves was trampled.

Of course the head shooting had nothing to do with the "collateral damage", but the whole ordeal sure made for a shitty day for my Pa. The perpetrators should feel very lucky that my Dad didn't catch them!

Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A few years back, a friend of mine saw this moose on a trail, perhaps 50 yards away. He aimed on the forehead, but hit the moose on the nose instead. The moose dropped like hit by lightning, then it jumped back up and ran across the trail. He fired again and hit it through the heart, and that killed it.

At least you shot your moose in Canada. In Alaska it is very illegal to shoot game aided by any artificial light.

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 470 Mbogo
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ray, Alaska:
Hi Ray,
Same light situation here in Canada. To shoot a Moose in the head when it's facing you involves more luck than anything else and is a bad idea. If they are looking at you there is only about an inch to an inch and a half rise between the bridge of the nose and the top of the head. If their head is down it's a different story but still a bad idea. 470 Mbogo

Posts: 1247 | Location: Sechelt B.C. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Ray, since you brought it up, and I know someone else from BC will point it out, it isn't strictly legal in BC either.

Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Oops, hey 470M, looks like we posted simultaneously.

Canuck

<Daryl Elder>
posted
Just for info, and so I don't fall into the poacher category, the photo was taken about 10 minutes after I took the shot. It took that long to stop laughing after we found the antler

one of us
Picture of 470 Mbogo
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Daryl Elder:
Hi Daryl,
Have you talked with Hans and will you be able to make it on the Saturday. Your punishment will be four quick shots with the 500. 470 Mbogo

Posts: 1247 | Location: Sechelt B.C. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
470, I am ROTFLMAO. Although I am really not qualified to comment at this point, I am guessing that is plenty of punishment for a bad boy like Daryl. hehehehe

Canuck

<Daryl Elder>
posted
470, I just had lunch with Hans yesterday, but he didn't mention a date. That thing doesn't have a steel butt plate, does it?

<Carl>
posted
Just to clarify a few things.

Head shots are a good recipe for an Animal to get shot into the lower Jaw, run off and starve to dead who wants that.

Shooting in the dark is Illegal in British Columbia, never mind the regulation allowes you to hunt for big game one hour before Sunrise to one hour after Sunset.

Since you told your "Buddy" to shoot, I am assuming you are a Guide. Perhaps you wish to check immediately with your employing Outfitter and fill him in before he looses his Guide Outfitting Bussiness.

Fair Chase and happy hunting, Carl.

quote:
Originally posted by Daryl Elder:
If you saw my photo under 'Why head shots...' here is the rest of the story, as Mr. Harvey would say. It was still dark in the a.m. when my buddy(in the photo) and me were heading down a road/cutline when we saw this bull in the middle of said road. Couldn't see much in the headlights of the Argo except his butt and what appeared to be antlers as he was facing away and looking back over said butt at us. We didn't want to spook him so we left the Argo running and didn't get out. As my buddy is from N.Z. and han't killed anything bigger than an opossum, I told him to blast bullwinkle! "I kent see enything" he says. "Shoot him" says I! "I kint see!" he says. "OK, I'll take him!" says I. Not wanting to ruin any meat, I tried for a head/neck shot--you can see the results. Not an easy task to shoot the antler of a moose in the dark with only crappy Argo headlights to see with and a stunned Kiwi sitting beside you--he had his scope cranked up to 9x. That was funny...

<Daryl Elder>
posted
That would be Canadian citizen from N.Z. I am not a giude nor do I work for an outfitter. But then again, why would I? I think maybe much has been read into my post. No laws were broken. If one feels it incorrect to shoot at legal light, then don't.

one of us
posted Hide Post
In Alaska it is legal to shoot in the dark, as long as you don't use any artificial light. Of course, night vision scopes (light enhancing) are also illegal for hunting game. In Alaska there is plenty of daylight during the summer. Even in September during moose season we have daylight until 10:00 PM.

The same thing about using radios while hunting. You can have two-way radios, as long as you don't use than to aid with hunting game.

These restrictions are not necessarily bad. You get used to them pretty fast.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My head shot Story.
Many years ago a friend and I were heading up for a day of hunting north of Kamloops. On the way up a small mule deer buck offered himself to us by stepping out onto the logging road we were on. My friend, who was a confirmed head shooter leapt out and quickly shot Mr Muley in the head. He dropped like a stone and didn't move. We got back into the truck and drove the 50 yds or so up to the deer.
The deer was on my side so I got out and staddled the deer to flip him over. When I touched him he came back to life and tried to get up while making jabs with his antlers. To me it seemed that these jabs were directed right at the source of my masculinity. Through a previously undiscovered power of levitation I got out of the way and the deer got to his feet and took off. My friend fired 5 shots from a 357 revolver with no apparent effect. (he was able to legally carry this by the way) I got my rifle out of the truck and as the buck ran through a small clearing, dumped him with a shot to the ribs.
The headshot had neatly broken the deer's lower jaw knocking him cold. When we skinned the deer my friend was anxious to see what damage the 357 had done. It turned out to be not much since the only holes were from the errant headshot and the shot in the ribs from my 30/40. This may have been the end of my friend's love affair with the headshot as a way of taking game. It was definitely the last time I straddled a deer with out being certain it was dead! Regards, Bill

Posts: 3524 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray
Although it is legal to shoot at night, legal big game hours are 30 minutes before and after sun rise and set. Also it is legal to take fur animals with the aid of artificial light with a trapping license.

Posts: 358 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 8MM OR MORE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Leeper:
[B]My head shot Story.
When I touched him he came back to life

I have had that happen with white tail, elk, moose. The white tail delivered a kick that I still remember clearly. The others tried, but I had learned to be more cautious. I know people who have lost and almost lost their gun by posing with the "dead" animal only to find it was just stunned. I know hunters that only take the head shot, but I am not one of them. Not trying to start something be saying that, I just don't think that I am that good.

------------------
Good Shooting!

Posts: 1944 | Location: Moses Lake, WA | Registered: 06 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
35nut: I am looking at the Alaska Hunting Regulations, and I can't find any information about hunting hours. I did find the regulation on "Same Day Airborne." Here is where I got confused: "You may NOT hunt or help someone else take big game until 3:00 a.m. the day following the day you have flown." Where I hunt moose I can't see anything until 6:00 to 7:00 AM.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray
You are right I can not find it in this years regs either.

Posts: 358 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
<reloaderman>
posted
Bill, I have almost the same story.....with a 12ga double loaded with a slug, The deer was about 40 yds away looking back over his shoulder ( the biggest target it could present ) Bang, down he went like he was hit by a bolt of lighting. I went up to him and and rolled him over,couldn't find a wound on him?????? I was looking around the ground and saw a small speck of blood and a tooth! About that time, he decided he had enough rest, and tried to get up and leave. The other barrel finished him. This happened in New Jersey where 40 yds. is a long shot.
Needless to say I was supprised and embaressed.

------------------
No matter where you go.........there you are!

one of us
Picture of Greg R
posted Hide Post
I do not take head shots except when culling with a light at night (it's legal in Texas under certain conditions), and I ask my clients, many of them who always use head shots, not to take them. I have had to follow up several animals wounded with errant head shots and it is one of the saddest, sickest things you will ever see or hear. I won't go into detail in an open forum, but you get the idea. It is not a wise or humane practice except under certain conditions. Shoot them through or just behind the shoulder with an adequate bullet and they will die every time.

------------------
Greg Rodriguez
Mombasa Trading Company
www.mbogo.net
(281) 494-4151

Posts: 798 | Location: Sugar Land, TX 77478 | Registered: 03 October 2001Reply With Quote