New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gun slings and bad shoulders
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've never been able to sit around in a tree stand while hunting. I like to walk sometimes for hours or the whole day, and carrying even a light gun over the shoulder gets a little uncomfortable. My one shoulder had a torn rotator cough that's never quite healed right, the other shoulder had a broken collarbone and nerve damage. I was wondering what others were using for long days carrying a rifle in the field. I was looking at trying one of those harnesses like Olympic biathlon contestants use, carried on your back like a pack. Also it might be more stable on rough terrain such as crossing beaver dams or steep mountainous terrain. Has anybody tried something like this or have any other suggestions.

Thanks for any input

One of Us
Picture of M70Nut
posted Hide Post
Have you tried the Vero Vellini Wide Top rifle sling?

"We band of 45-70'ers"

Posts: 845 | Location: S.C. Alaska | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of steve_robinson
posted Hide Post
Go to www.gunslingercorral.com and check it out. I've got the same rotatorcuff/collarbone problem and found this works very well. Its a belt with a rifle holster that works with your sling and can be worn with a pack. Keeps the weight off the shoulder and the rifle is quickly available.

Steve(NOT Shakari)Robinson
NRA Life Member
SCI Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 219 | Location: Arlington, WA | Registered: 26 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Roy, Normally the only time a rifle goes on my shoulder is when I'm dragging a Deer out. When I'm doing that, I open the Loop a bit and stick my head through the Loop so the rifle is at a diagonal across my back. Don't need anything fancy for that, any Sling should work.

Also had a bit of a Hospital visit one year right at the beginning of Deer Season. The Dr encouraged me to avoid a rifle for a few weeks, so I just went to the old Revolver. Back then I was fairly well practiced with it and it carried great in the normal hip holster.

Thought about your situation today and was wondering if you would be open to using a Contender Carbine. You could remove the barrel and stick it in a regular Back Pack and tote it all over the place. Then when you get to where you finally want to quit walking and begin Hunting, put it together and carry it in your hand.

Or get a shorter barrel along with a Handgrip and use the Contender across the backpack like the Handgun it was orignially designed to be.
---

I've not worn a Biathlon Rig, but the Design seems to be inherently awkward to me. If it holds the rifle close to you, the barrel would be Whamming you in the head as you move along, the bottom Sling Stud would be centered on your Spine near your Belt-line and the Toe of the Stock would be shoved up your clinton.

Or, if it places the rifle farther from you, then the weight of the rifle would seem to gain leverage with each inch it is away from your back to begin swinging side-to-side with each step. Perhaps that is an advantage when Cross Country Skiing - beats me.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Originally posted by Hot Core:
quote:
and the Toe of the Stock would be shoved up your clinton.

Hot Core you are a beauty!!!!

cheers Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
M70Nut Not Vero Vellini Wide Top,but others
----------------
Steve Price looks right. If thay will ship to Canada i will giv it a try. thanks
----------------
Hot Core The old Revolver is out, thay lock you up for that here in Canada, or the Contender Carbine with a shorter barrel along with a Handgrip. The Contender Carbine in a backpack is out you nead your rifle hanady at all times around here lots of bears, blacks and brown. If I don't see at least one bear when out for a walk I say I must have forgot to clean my glasses. Thanks

One of Us
Picture of IdahoVandal
posted Hide Post
Definetly try Steve Robinsons suggeation of the "Gunslinger"-- my patner uses these and he absolutely raves about it.....

IV

minus 300 posts from my total
(for all the times I should have just kept my mouth shut......)

Posts: 844 | Location: Moscow, Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Don, Just trying to be "Politically Correct" in my choice of words. Big Grin
---

Hey Roy, Looks like Steve hit the best answer for Canada. Darn shame about your Handgun laws.

I would recommend a nice light 350RemMag on a M7KS since mine weighs 5.25#, and you could hand carry it all day. Only problem would be the Recoil and the Report. Both are more than a person who has a shoulder injury needs. So that lets it out.

What kind of rifle are you currently using? Weight? Cartridge?

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I looked a little into the biathlon rig thinking it would be great when climbing up a steet mountain side. It would keep the rifle from swinging back and forth. The only rigs I could find required a rail in the forend of the stock like a "position rifle" and I just don't think it is conducive to a hunting style stock. So I am keeping to my old cheap way of tying a hunk of rope to the swivels in conjunction with my regular sling and making my own biathlon style sling when I need to do some harry climbing.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of asdf
posted Hide Post
Kifaru also offers a rig which carries the weight on your hip instead of on your shoulder.

Posts: 977 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HOt core--you tryin' to say that Clinton=Ass?

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"