Find
Notify
Tools

Aoudad Hunt
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted
In the last 10 years, I can only recall a small number of Aoudad hunts we have done on my ranch. In the last five years, this is only the second one. After that long with no Aoudad hunts, I figured, it’s time to hunt one.

- - Details - -

Area: My ranch, NW Texas halfway between Amarillo and Wichita Falls in the Pease River breaks.

Gun: AR-15; BCM lower, Geissele trigger

Caliber: 6.5 Grendel

Upper: BCM upper receiver with Alexander Arms, 18” barrel.

Suppressor: 30 cal Silencerco Saker can.

Scope: Leupold VX-6 , 3-18x56. Reticle has a medium stadia with fire dot reticle. I’m not wild about the thickness of the reticle, I never use the fire dot, but it’s taken a bunch of game, and the glass is impeccable, so I can’t complain.

A bit of history, my ranch was game fenced when I introduced Aoudad 17 years ago. 7 years ago, I pulled down portions of the fence, water gaps are out, the fence has been left unchecked and all game are able to come and go as they please.

I have had the pleasure of hunting Aoudad with many AR members over the years. Save two, all the rest were spot and stalk. I do not hunt Aoudad at a feeder here when spot and stalk is a more rewarding way to get your sheep. This way, you do not just shoot an Aoudad, you earn it.

I have spent countless hours walking and climbing and sitting behind a spotting scope and binoculars looking for big Aoudad for my hunters. It is my favorite hunt in Texas, hands down.

I got some game camera pics of some big Aoudad, so I decided to be picky. I have all the time I need and want to shoot an excellent ram, so I’m going to take my time.

I arrived at the ranch about 2:00, got dressed and headed to the range to verify zero.

After getting it dialed in, I took the Polaris about 400 yards to the first canyon. Picked up my binoculars and there were some Aoudad looking directly at me across the canyon from 650 yards away.

I’m cussing myself for driving this close. I know better. After 5 minutes or so, they settled down and determined I wasn’t a threat.

I watched a dozen ewes and lambs mill about, feed and bed on the rim of the canyon. My wife calls and we are chatting about this and that as I look through the spotting scope.

“What are you doing?”

“I’m watching Aoudad. It makes me happy.”

Eventually, they start to move and this TANK stands up.

“Holy shit! I gotta go!” Wife understands.

Since there is a canyon between us, I grab my pack and double back and find a route to a point on the rim across from the herd. I’m a bit concerned because they are on the move and I’m not certain where they will be when I get there and everything looks different than you thought when you get there anyway.

As I get close I see a lone Ram on the rim. Long chaps and big body. I range him at 250, I see I can get another 30-40 yards closer and be in a better position. But, he bails off the rim and heads into the valley floor. I’m watching him and realize, It’s the wrong ram. This one is really nice, but he’s not the one I’m after.

As I get close to the rim, I see a herd walking about 100 yards out. I crawl up to the edge and glass.

They don’t see me, but I don’t see the ram either. I look farther back and he has busted me. Facing me, in the shadows under some trees, looking right at me. I grab my pack and throw the rifle on top of it. Of course, it’s on 18x (from sighting it in) and I can’t find him in the trees at 100 yards. I crank it down to 10 and find him.

I’m shooting down, he’s ass high, facing me. I can shoot him in the head, or squeeze one just below his chin and catch a low frontal chest shot. I go for the chest and he folds like a bad poker hand. Throws his head back and dies.

I stay on him for a minute, just in case. No movement. I stand up and the shakes start.

Now, I’m in a situation. He’s in a nondescript location in a brushy flat, across a sheer face little draw, and the sun is about to set. It’s going to take 30 minutes just to drive close enough to him to get out and navigate the draw. I stand on the rim and study every bit of topography I can.

I call a friend hunting close by. He starts heading my way. It’s dark when he gets there. Luckily locating him was uneventful. I happened to walk right up on him.

He’s 34” on his longest horn. I doubt I could better him, even in the best Aoudad ranches in west TX.

It’s good to have tough friends to pack out for you. I weighed the head and cape at the house and it was a tad under 50 lbs.

Unfortunately for me, this was one of the easiest Aoudad hunts I have done. I sort of wanted more blood and sweat put into this one, but, hey … you take it when you can get it.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Excellent Aoudad! You had some big rams out there when I was on the ranch in 2007...i'm glad to see you still have that place. Beautiful ranch

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3326 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
That's a really nice sheep! Love your territory there. Very rugged.

~Ann

Posts: 19563 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
I too love a good aoudad spot and stalk, but mine have yet to result in one like that! What a stud! Good for you.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Very nice!!!

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
Great ram Wendell!

Posts: 2093 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i got no clue as to whether the goat is big or not.
but I enjoyed the story.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
Nice!! tu2

One of those was on my bucket list, but I never got around to it. Too late now. Frowner

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very Nice Ram ...Well done

How old are this Rams when the over 30" ?

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
posted Hide Post
mbb, most 30" rams are around 10 years old, but they can certainly be more or less.

Posts: 767 | Location: Corrales, New Mexico | Registered: 03 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by squeezenhope:
mbb, most 30" rams are around 10 years old, but they can certainly be more or less.

Thanks for the clarification

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Great ram Wendell!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by squeezenhope:

In the wild, say, in West TX (Glass, Davis, Chianti’s etc), this is probably about correct. If he has access to good browse, protein, or crops like soybeans or cowpeas etc, it can happen in 6 years.

If they park their nose in a protein feeder, I have heard it can be quicker.

Their growth rings aren’t as pronounced as a Dall because their winters aren’t as harsh, but they are visible. Im reasonably sure this guy was 10.

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
I need to give this a try before I get too old.

Cheers
Jim

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Exceptionally fine ram. Congrats on getting him. Well done.
Bruce

Posts: 376 | Location: Gillette, Wy USA | Registered: 11 May 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Are you stilling offering hunts there?

Posts: 1532 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KevinNY:
Are you stilling offering hunts there?

I do Whitetail and Mule Deer and we will chase Aoudad while hunting deer, but I don’t (for now) do straight Aoudad hunts.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Glad to see that you are doing well Wendell.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mike. Huffaker is here now and we are having a good time chasing Rock Donkeys. Got on a really good one yesterday, but just couldn’t get the hunting gods to bless us.

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Arrived back at the ranch on Thursday and saw a herd of 47 before we even got to the house. Nephew was looking for his first horned or antlered big game.

After a good amount of glassing, the sun set, we had seen somewhere in the neighborhood of 75-90 sheep (hard to know if we double counted a few.

A small herd popped out on the cliff 2 draws over, 300 yards exactly on the rangefinder. Shooting a 6.5 Grendel, it's doable. He says he thinks he can do it.

Get into prone position, using the spotting scope in the dirt as a rest, I ask him to pick one and see if he is steady enough.

"Absolutely".

I deal in 3 MOA on the scope (Should have been 3.5 in hindsight)

"Take the ewe on the left."

He hit her low, shot again a bit higher and she was down.

He's 100% hooked. He loved the spot and stalk type hunting. Wants a Bighorn now!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Unfortunately for me, this was one of the easiest Aoudad hunts I have done. I sort of wanted more blood and sweat put into this one, but, hey … you take it when you can get it.

That is hunting some times fast and easy other times slow and hard.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote