Fall 2005 $10,500.00

Trip Price Includes
�Trip dates start and end upon your arrival and return to Deadhorse, Alaska
�Pick up and return to Deadhorse and air charter from base camp and return
�Professional hunter & camp staff
�1 guide 1 hunter
�Field preparation & care of trophies
�All accommodations & meals
�All required air charter from camp & return to camp includes you, your gear, trophies & meat
�Harvest tickets as needed

Not Included in Trip Price
�Hotel or food cost before or after your arrival & return to Deadhorse
�Government hunting and fishing licenses & tags 'available in camp'
�Any required export permits if applicable (obtainable in Anchorage or Fairbanks)
�Trophy shipping, crating or insurance
�Any additional trophies you may wish to harvest on this trip
�Any gratuities
Dall sheep tag $425

Posts: 127 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina and Regions West | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lately I've become very interested in dall sheep hunting, but know very little about it, and was thinking about maybe booking a hunt for next year, if I'm not to late. Last week I ordered two books on the subject but I've got lots of questions. Anyone willing to help out a first time sheep hunter? Heres just a few of my questions.

What gear would I need? Sleeping bag, backpack, boots, clothes......

Could you recommend a good outfitter? Under 10k please.

How good of shape do I need to be in? I know the better shape I'm in the more I will enjoy the hunt, but being in shape worries me. I don't want to get on the hunt, suffer through it and not be able to enjoy it. Maybe a little back ground would help. I'm 41 years old, live in Alabama at 750ft, weigh 235 pound (I'm working on this one and hope to be down to 200 before the hunt) and I started working out in November. This is what I'm up to, on Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday I do the following. Jump rope 200 times, do 150 steps on the stair-steper, 30 min. on the treadmill (walk 9min., jog 11min., of which 6min. is at 5mph, walk 10min)for a total of 1.9 miles, do another 150 steps on the stair-steper and then workout on the weight machine 25min., all this in about an hour and 15min. Then one other day a week, when I can fit it in, I ride a bike 4 miles or go to the football field and walk the bleachers for 30min., but I don't feel like its enough.

Also given my age and condition do you think a horse or backpack hunt would be better?

Thanks

Posts: 1739 | Location: alabama | Registered: 13 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pretty good batch of info here from JeffP. He may be right on the NWT/Alaska prices, but my observations led to the opposite conclusion. Granted, I haven't followed Dall prices closely for the past 3-4 years. I know that when I went, most Alaska hunts were more expensive than most NWT hunts. In NWT you can easily add in a Mountain Caribou. You can often add a caribou in Alaska, but not a Mountain Caribou. A thought worth considering. Also, generally speaking, Alaska is a lot rougher, and the success rate is definitly lower. Good point about horses. Personally, if I can get 20+ miles behind me on horseback, I'm all for it, but I've been astraddle a damn nag half my life. If you aren't accustom to riding, you may not like that horseback part. On the otherhand, I've back packed for sheep (Stone), and lord have mercy, it is brutal. Enjoyed the hell out of it, course I ruptured 3 discs in the deal. 90 pound packs are not really much fun in my view, especially about the 30th mile on the way out with 5 to go. That said, would I do it again? Hell yes. But if a pony is an option, my choice is easy. I'll e-mail you with a bit more.

Posts: 747 | Location: Nevada, USA | Registered: 22 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark,

Go to the football stadium more! Climb those steps for an hour, then when you can almost run, add a pack and then more weight.

I think it would be worth it to go to the Yukon or NWT. Alaska hunts are cheaper, but they seem to be 7 days maybe 10 max. Then you might be sharing the mountain with somebody. I think I have mentioned Blackstone to you before about Caribou or Moose. They are primo for sheep as well.

I thought all the hype about lightweight stuff was just that until I spent 2 weeks backpaking out there. Now I am replacing/upgrading to lightweight wherever I can for my return in 2007. You really do not need as much as you think to get by.

Asfar as horses go, experiencing both, I will take the backpack every time now. They are a lot of trouble and you can only take them so far in sheep country.

Posts: 46 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 23 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Based on a grand total of one successful dall sheep hunt worth of experience, I'll offer the following advice.

Go with a first rate outfitter that produces high success rates and check references.

Sheep hunting aint easy, but it wasn't as bad as what I'd expected. Get in shape best you can, take your time and drink lots of water. You'll probably have 10 days to kill one.

I'd go on a horseback hunt. You'll still have plenty of hiking and climbing, but I imagine a backpack hunt could be grueling. Plus, going the horseback route, you'll likely stay in a comfortable wall tent camp w/ wood stove & cots.

Get the best pair of boots you can afford. I'd recommend Meindls (if I spelled it right).

Leave the big super mag rifle with mega telescope at home and take a nice little lightweight sporter in .270, 30-06 or similar. Plastic / stainless is definitely a plus.

Good rain gear that are easy to get on and off. You'll get rain nearly every day in sheep mountains.

I hunted w/ Terry Overly of Pioneer Outfitters in the Wrangell mountains of AK, and have no complaints. My 68' year old dad & I both got full curl rams.

Sheep hunting is an awesome experience. Hope to do it again sometime soon. I'd like to get into some real remote country in the Brooks range next time.

Oh yeah .... Take lot's of pictures, the scenery is awesome.

Posts: 199 | Location: North Central Indiana | Registered: 09 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
mark65X55,

Lots of good advice here. I like Stieny's advice on the boots, guns, and rain gear.

The best Dall sheep hunting is in the NWT. Period. There are several good outfits and areas there. With out any doubt, I would call Kelly Hougan of Artic Red River Outfitters and book a hunt. He is booked several years in advance. He has the best Dall sheep area. When you book the hunt, request that you would like either Bernard Briggs, Tavis Molnar, or Al Klausen to guide you on this hunt. I know these guys well. They get big rams for old men. The 3 of them have close to 200 Rams under thier belts. They all leave good paying jobs and their families to guide sheep hunters. Then they come back to the Yukon and hunt sheep for themselves during the late season when our winter has started. Excellent mountain caribou here as well. I can't say enough about these guys. This is the best advice that I can give you.

Being in good shape is important but don't worry yourself to much over it. Walk, hike, cycle,or stairclimb 2-3 times a week. Do whatever you ENJOY doing. Stay off the sugar and fat. 2 months before your hunt add in to your routine some stair or hill climbing with a pack. If you can do better than this, great! otherwise you will be fine.

I hope you get the oppertunity to hunt sheep,

Daryl

Posts: 536 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Forgot to say,

A horseback hunt in the Yukon could very well(and mostlikely) be tougher than a back pack hunt in the NWT. I know some great places in the Yukon for Dall sheep, but at the present, I cannot recomend the Outfitters yet except Widrig Outfitters/Yukon. Widrig does horse back hunts. I would get Chris Widrig himself to guide you. He has guided well over 100 successfull sheep hunts. Good mountain caribou and lots of G bears.

41 years old. You will be the young guy in the crowd.

Daryl

Posts: 536 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
mark65x55

I suggest you look thru this website. www.wildsheep.org. The fellows here are real loonies and there are a few interesting atricles on training, shoting etc. http://www.wildsheep.org/magazines/articles.htm

I think you will get bitten buy the bug

Cheers
/ JOHAN

one of us
posted Hide Post
Look into Sport Hill's 3sp pants, big enough to get long under wear under. You can see them at Northern Outfitters web site. www.northernoufitters.com

Also look into plastic boots and Glacier socks, that go into them for crossing streams. You will find them at Barney's Sport Chalet in Anchorage, AK they have a web site also.

When it really rains you will need Helly Hansons Impertech, for the hunting they make 2 lengths one hip length and one 3/4 length. figure out which one you'll best be served by.

Hard to beat the fleece from Swazi Gear out of New Zealand,( They have a site) I just spent 8 days in their Severn top (Wind block)on the Penisula and it is a super mid weight shirt with long vent zip front), as are their jackets. This stuff is lightweight warmth that will dry quick, your guide will want it.

HBH

One of Us
posted Hide Post
si. y.o.a. is 10 years of age. an old sheep. they start declining around 8.5. y.o.a.

ak trophy adventures, does no advertising of any kind to include a web site or attending any shows. they only take about 8 sheep hunters each year and they all go home with their sheep. business is repeat and referrals of family and friends. highly recomended. the only way u will not get a sheep is if u are not up to the task.

cold zero

will attempt to have better half email u sheep photos. go back in the ak hunt reports section and read a long report on this hunt that took place in aug, 2002. under slask trophy adventures. one of few outfitters that i would hunt with again. possibly this sept.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
looks like i am coming into this thread late.

however , lots of good advice from men that have experience above.

the lighter wt. your gear the faster and further u will be able to go. go high tech state of the art.

before i went on my sheep hunt i was doing 115 flights on the stairmaster in about 20 min on level 10. i got winded in chugach state park. better off maintaining a slightly slower pace for a much longer period of time. someitmes we would climb for hours, endurance pays dividends. the guide will respect u more the better shape u are in. conditioning can not be over emphasized or over done.

alaska trophy adventures is 100% successful both inside and outside the chugach state park. prices very reasonable too.

cold zero

155 s.c.i. 10 y.o.a., the sheep not me

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replys guys. You want to push me over the edge?? How about some photos of your sheep?

one of us
posted Hide Post
cold zero,

Does alaska trophy adventures have a web page? What is 10 y.o.a.? 10 years of age? Hey, I told you I know very little about sheep hunting.

one of us
posted Hide Post
mark,despite all the good advise,go sheep hunting.
In my experience nothing beats it,even elk hunting.
Trouble is - as already said- its addictive,you want to go back.
After careful search I went with Chris Widrig last year.Horse hunt in the Yukon.dont get confused though,the horse only gets you to spike camp and then up the foothills
the better shape you are in,the more you will enjoy the hunt.As a working flatlander you wil be out of shape,no matter how you train,but it will matter.
The outfitter matters as does the guide.Experience and knowing the country is not taught in college.
Personally I shied away from backback hunts:very limited range,means you need high game concentration.
If you need details,will be happy to respond

pictures of '03 hunt:

Posts: 795 | Location: CA,,the promised land | Registered: 05 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sheephunter,

YEAH I want one of those!!! Very nice sheep. I'm open to any and all advise you care to offer.

one of us
Picture of KINO
posted Hide Post
Mark, HBH is 100 % correct on the plastic expedition boot. They are made by a company called Koflach. Barneys in Anchorage sells them and their number is 907-561-5242. Koflach has a web page as well. Don't forget the glacier socks, a must when crossing water. As for outer wear, my guide service advised on Helly hansen impertech since it is so durable. Dont buy it! find some one who can purchase on a military base and get the goretex cold weather coat and pants. These provide the best protection from wind and rain and are very strong. A little heavier but well worth it.
When you are looking at an outfitter consider one who has their own air craft and pay the extra money. It's worth when you have to move as opposed to having to hire a charter and not having the option to move to another area.
As for physical conditioning, dont walk the stadium run the stairs. Do lots of running and any hiking you can get in.
When I was getting ready for my hunt I hiked several times a week and wore the expedition boots. I got alot of looks with those on my feet, but it paid off and I was able to keep up with my guide and carry my share of meat and hide out. Good luck

Posts: 470 | Location: SYRACUSE, UT, USA | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeff P,

From the research I've done on the web, your right about the prices. NWT seem to run from 11k to 15k plus airfare and tags. Alaska seems to run from 7k to 10k. Any alaska outfitter you'd care to recommend? E-mail me if you don't want to post it here, I'd really like to here your thoughts. Thank

one of us
posted Hide Post
Coldzero,

Thanks for the photo. NICE ram!