Find
Notify
Tools

What's a Cougar ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/new...-years-sighting.html

I always thought they were all the same cat with different names ?
I live near Panther Brook .What are those ?
I thought I saw a pussy cat !

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I had no idea that there were reportedly so many variations of our big cat. I'm no scientist but if memory serves me aren't all Mountain Lions/ Cougars called Felis Concolor?
Is this just a ploy that I'm not understanding.?

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Okay I couldn't help it I got on Wikipedia and found more info. Apparently this is old news the Eastern Cougar was declared exstinct in 2011 and is somehow separate from Felis Concolor.

"Today, reports of eastern cougars (Puma concolor cougar) still surface, although it was declared extirpated in 2011."

Wiki stated that Felis Concolor is widely distributed from the Yukon all the way down through the Americas far into South America.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
Felis concolor is the scientific name for the genera and species of all cougars/mountain lions in North and South America.

It covers all "races" or "subspecies" of the cats we call (depending upon region) as "cougar," "catamount," "mountain lion," "panther," "puma," "painter," "onza," etc., etc.

The eastern cougar (Puma concolor cougar) is/was just one of at least six subspecies that also include the Florida panther.

See this site for more:

http://www.panthera.org/node/183

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting that Bill. I am always amazed at how little hunters in North America know about our game, never mind game overseas.

Cougar, painter, mountain lion catamount, puma, panther......... and a few more.......... all the same cat.

A number of different subspecies as you heas from the Yukon all the way down to Patagonia....... but the same cat. Color varies a bit as does size. They come in to bait in parts of South America but not in the northern parts of their range.

Great animal and one that any serious hunter should have on the bucket list.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1827 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used to work in the jungle in northern Peru and have seen several. I saw a mother cat with 2-3 kittens that were completely black.

Also a different company had a young one in a cage that was sort of grey.

I also saw maybe 3 that were the traditional brown color. I was leaving a camp and it was raining like crazy so I was driving real slow and one of the brown type jumped right in front of the truck and was gone in a second.

Regards, Keith

Posts: 208 | Location: S.W. Wyoming | Registered: 31 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Its an older rich woman who hangs out in bars looking to snag a young stud!!! Big Grin

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OLBIKER:
Its an older rich woman who hangs out in bars looking to snag a young stud!!! Big Grin

I hear in happens in Hurley a lot Wink

Posts: 19451 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Keith1:
I used to work in the jungle in northern Peru and have seen several. I saw a mother cat with 2-3 kittens that were completely black.

Also a different company had a young one in a cage that was sort of grey.

I also saw maybe 3 that were the traditional brown color. I was leaving a camp and it was raining like crazy so I was driving real slow and one of the brown type jumped right in front of the truck and was gone in a second.

Regards, Keith

Chances are good that the black cats you saw may have been something other than a cougar/mountain lion. A cat biologist told me years ago that melanism has never been recorded in cougars.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
This is a pic of a Florida panther I took on the Seminole Resrvation. Other than it being somewhat smaller than our western cougar, I didn't see much difference.

The link below is a very good treatise on black cats.

http://karlshuker.blogspot.com...umas-separating.html

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
A cougar is the #@$%^# cat that took down a beautiful 3 X 4 buck at the top of my driveway. I suspect it is also responsible for thinning the deer herd that once kept my grass cut. Roll Eyes

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WLW
posted Hide Post

Posts: 364 | Location: Moorpark, CA | Registered: 18 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The link below is a very good treatise on black cats.

Well this link sort of answers about the grey cat that was in the cage but on the black cat subject I know what I saw. Maybe it was a black jaguar or otorongo as the Peruvians call the cat. They also call the black cat pantera. They only call the black cat pantera. I do not know except that the cat and her kittens were BLACK.

Regards, Keith

Posts: 208 | Location: S.W. Wyoming | Registered: 31 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
It could have been a jaguar or a jaguarundi. Very dark color phases have been reported in both.

Bill Quimby