Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Drop camp Elk hunt
 Login/Join

posted
Hello all, very new to Elk hunting, and hunting east of the Mississippi all together. My friend and I went to the Eastern Sports and Outdoor show in here in Pa. looking for a possible elk trip. We are both looking for a drop camp, non guided hunt. Not interested in fully guided at all.

With all that being said, while at the show we spoke to a very nice gentlemen who is a guide for River Bend Outfitter in CO I believe they are out of the Burns area. They run a 9 day drop camp hunt for $1500 and we both thought this was very reasonable. Has anyone here had any dealings with ths outfit?

What should I expect from a drop camp hunt?

Would we better off (cheaper) if we do everything ourself on State land?

One of Us
Picture of Brian Clark
posted Hide Post
Don't know much of this outfitter, but his price is about what most charge for drop camps. Colorado is a big state and lots of state ground will contain no game, so having an outfitter putting you in a established camp area will help. Packing out a elk is not like a deer, so make sure the outfitter can be contacted to assist with this.
Good luck, Elk hunting is very addicting.

Thanks!

Brian Clark

Blue Skies Hunting Adventures
www.blueskieshunting.com
Email at: info@blueskieshunting.com

African Cape Trophy Safaris
www.africancapesafaris.com
Email at: brian@africancapesafaris.com

1-402-689-2024

Posts: 1013 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 30 August 2010Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the reply Brian, Yes they offer no charge packing out. You are responsible for dressing/quartering and they will come in and pack it out for you. Thought a drop camp would be easier for the exact reason you mentioned. I am very unfasmiliar with the land, and hopefully atleast they can put us in the right "general area"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In my opinion, drop camps are a poor value for the money spent. Guides know where the elk are most likely to be and they save those areas for the guided hunts where the client is paying much more money up front and thats where they get their tips from as well. The DC guys get placed where the guides have not seen an elk in years. Simple economics. Yes, you may get lucky and bump into a bull, but the odds are greatly against you. If everyone shot nice bulls on the drop camp hunts, they would never be able to sell the guided hunts for what they do. Let us know how it works out. Besides all of that, if real bad weather hits you will be the last one the outfitter trys to get out. The guided hunts will be first. This can and has happened.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think Woodrow gives good advice. I know a guide who hunts with an outfit I book with. Prior to joining the outfit I hunt with, this guide worked for an outfitter who almost never had any clients kill elk. They would go out at 3 am, back well after dark. I asked this guide how that outfitter managed to book any clients. He said every year he booked them through the sports shows.

The guy that guide hunts with now doesn't attend sports shows and doesn't use booking agents. He has a long and steady list of clients, including me.

Woodrow brings up a great point with respect to drop camps: if they were so great, everyone would be doing them. Elk hunting ain't whitetail hunting. I think going on a guided hunt, with a guy that knows what he is doing is a good way to start. You might save money in the long run.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7575 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Ask the outfitter for a dozen names of out of state references. Talk to them.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12603 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What are you guys looking for? You want a drop camp DIY yourself type hunt and then you turn around and want the outfitter to tell you where they are at? BS if you want DIY drop camp then have the outfitter set the drop camp and DIY. Here we go all these people say the outfitter is out to get rich for charging people to take them out and now want the outfitter to still do most of the work for almost nothing, who is screwing who now?
Say you own a business car parts and repair shop I come into your shop buy the parts then want you to tell me EXACTLY how to install them for no more money then I paid for the parts. I don't think so as a mech you would starve to death, they are paying as much for knowledge as they are labor as it should be!!

Posts: 61 | Location: new mexico | Registered: 22 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have never heard of a drop camp situation that hunters have been happy with. I think they are a waste of money. Either save your money for a guided hunt or DIY. Most good Outfitters won't mess with them. You can't have it both ways.

Posts: 296 | Location: Clyde Park, MT | Registered: 29 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There's one offered in the classifieds right now.

Posts: 1135 | Location: corpus, TX | Registered: 02 June 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I appreciate everyone's responce. I have spoke with many ppl regarding the drop camp issue, and many mention the same with them not being quite satisfied. $1500+ is a little to much to take the chance IMO.

I'm leaning towards the total DIY hunt now. I am reading and researching as much as I can about elk hunting. We do not plan on going out until the 2012 huntig season, so I have ample amount of time to research. I would love to go out for a few days in the summer and scout areas, and get familiar with the ground, but time, money, and family get in the way of that.

Can anyone recomend good areas in CO, MT, or WY for a first timer to have a decent chance at finding game? I would like to hit the 2nd or 3rd season of Rifle., and I am not affraid to put miles on my boots! Are there areas that you can drive to and set up camp at your vehicle?

I apologise for my lack of knowledge on elk hunting, but this is the reason why I came here. I feel a lot of guys can give valuable information.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Redgar:

Ten to twenty years ago I did DIY hunts in Colorado. Shot 5 bulls in 7 tries, incl a 7x6 and a 6x6. However, I had my brother, who lived in the forest cutting wood, to show me the ropes.

Success is possible, but I would avoid the second season. My experience is now dated, but the second season is tough - it is hot, the rut is over, and the bulls just want to be left alone. Third or first season is better.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7575 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Take a look at www.elkcityadventures.com

I have bear hunted with them several times, as have a bunch of my buddies.

They are good people and run a good operation.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DoubleK, nobody stated they want the outfitter to show them where the elk are.....just to be placed where some elk MIGHT be...and they will take it from there. All too many outfitters place their drop camps where elk "ain't". It's true so get over it. Why else do you think the success rate is dismal...it ain't because there is no guide thats for sure. Guide or not, the elk have to be there to shoot them!

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote