THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    yellowstone wolves afflicted with mange

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

yellowstone wolves afflicted with mange
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
OK, confess, which one of you did this?

http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/Science/Mange_found_in_Yel...070303-042209-3747r/

Mange found in Yellowstone wolves
BILLINGS, Mont., March 3 (UPI) -- Mange, a debilitating disease imported to Montana a century ago to kill wolves, has returned to Yellowstone Park and the animals reintroduced there.

Biologists identified the disease in a 9-year-old wolf earlier this winter, The Billings Gazette reported. The wolf, the alpha male in Mollie's Pack, has disappeared and biologists say he may have died.

Mange is caused by a burrowing mite. It leaves wolves emaciated and debilitated, vulnerable to other diseases or to harsh conditions.

While other infectious diseases that strike wolves kill those infected and move on, biologists describe mange as persistent.

"Mange would be around in a messy kind of way every year," said Doug Smith, head of the Yellowstone Wolf Project. "This is an exotic, introduced disease we want to eradicate but it may be impractical to do so."

In 1905, when wolves were considered a pest, wildlife officials in Montana began capturing wolves and coyotes, infecting them with mange and releasing them.

Posts: 1095 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
THey will spend a few million, on top of the 40 or so million they have already spent to put the wolves here, to try and control the mange!

Oh well, since no one can or will be able to shoot any for a few years, at least mother nature will get a few!

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mange exists here all the time. It helps to control wolves and coyotes. they seem to still do ok even if some of them die of it. Just like the ungulates-some die from wolves and some survive. keep things on the level and your game populations will be ok. No need to keep running around screaming that the sky is falling just because you have some wolves around.

the chef

one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree w/calgary chef ,I see mange in coyotes and foxes constantly.This story doesent wash with what I see unless its a different strain.w/regards

Posts: 610 | Location: MT | Registered: 01 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
Agree w/calgary and gophershooter: mange can be seen on coyotes all the time. Nothing new. Somehow I don't feel too bad for the wolves...

Posts: 1066 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
Main reason some of you hate wolves is because they kill so called game animals. and they are better hunters than you are. Plain and simple

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
Gosh Jarrod. Thanks. However, its neither plain or simple.

There's no doubt wolves are better killers. However, most "hunters" consume the meat of the animals they kill. Wolves do not always do that. They kill for fun as well as for meat. Most of us who shoot gophers and priarie dogs do the same thing.

What's your point about that idiot statement (specifically, please)? If you're assuming that its jealousy you're wrong.

Game animals are not "so called game animals". They are game animals.

Not all hunters oppose the re-introduction of wolves completely. Its the Clintonian Pollitically Correct method that humanizes wolves and "seeks a deeper understanding of this complicated predator". Rubbish. To claim that wolves are any more complicated than any other pack or herd animal is rediculous. They are no more or less complicated than any other. Wolves were killed off in most of this country (including Kentucky) long ago because they compete(ed) with farmers, ranchers and hunters.

I am personally bothered by the method of reintroduction that puts a serious pain in the backside of several of my personal friends who own and run ranches. Wyoming had it right from the beginning: shoot on sight when outside the Yellowstone Zoo and designated wilderness areas. This will train them and controll their numbers and give us blood thirsty killers something to shoot at!

Posts: 1066 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wyoming had it right from the beginning: shoot on sight when outside the Yellowstone Zoo and designated wilderness areas.

That makes the most sense to me. I heard some figures on how many animals the current Montana population of wolves kill each year and it was staggering. Montana isn't remote Canada or Alaska, the ever increasing number of wolves is tearing down the populations of game animals in a dramatic way and will only get worse if their numbers go unchecked.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dempsey;A perfect example of that happened in your area about 4 years ago.A friend of mine Neil Windecker was managing the Sieben ranch he and his wife rode out to check on some sheep and found 9 dead sheep,the wolf was under a tree about 100 yards away.This wolf came from The Turner pack near Bozeman and was collared.None of the sheep had been eaten.Hundreds of sheep have been killed like this in the Paradise Valley south of Livingston.w/regards

One of Us
Picture of IdahoVandal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mt Al:
They kill for fun as well as for meat.

Killing for "fun" is a "human" perspective....

Its the Clintonian Pollitically Correct method that humanizes wolves and "seeks a deeper understanding of this complicated predator". Rubbish. To claim that wolves are any more complicated than any other pack or herd animal is rediculous. They are no more or less complicated than any other.

But they kill for "fun?" This seems to contradict the above statement.

I am personally bothered by the method of reintroduction that puts a serious pain in the backside of several of my personal friends who own and run ranches.

Do you mean the folks that run on BLM land and national forest land and state land... that the PUBLIC owns??? So do we "the PUBLIC" have any say in how these lands are managed?

Wolves certainly need to be managed through hunting---you'll get no argument from me about that... I am waiting for the day I can go buy an Idaho wolf tag and enjoy the sport.

But, if the costs of doing business (i.e. a cattle rancher gets less production when wolves are present then when they are not-- equating to less profit) why wont the market adjust and the price go up?? Of course, competitors from the midwest do not have wolf "problems" so this could merely mean that cattle ranching in the mountain states where wolves are a "problem" may no longer be the most efficient means of production.

Dozens of industries have gonr through similar transitions in the past....

Why should ranchers get a "free pass?"

Flame on gentleman.....(this where I begin to miss VG.... but KUDU will do in his absence I suppose.....)

IV

minus 300 posts from my total
(for all the times I should have just kept my mouth shut......)

Posts: 844 | Location: Moscow, Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm under the impression that farmers/ranchers can claim for the costs of lost livestock in canada. I don't know what it's like for your guys but I'd be interested to know. I always stick up for the wolves when it comes to the idea of elimination, on the other hand I'm all for hunting them.

the chef

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mange in fox and Coyote is a general sign of overpopulation. Gianni

Posts: 183 | Location: SW Montana | Registered: 22 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chef;You are correct if you can prove it happened,but in running cows over thousands of acres it is diffucult to prove how the animal was killed because sometimes young calves are completely eaten,and larger animals are discovered well after the kill and bones are scattered everywhere.The unmeasureable is when the packs put a lot of pressure on the herds cows and sheep.They get so nuts and fearful they wont even breed.
What gets me are people like IV and Brent rants about use of public land for grazing,there is not that much of it for big outfits mostly small ranches do it who couldnt survive other wise.They have to maintain all of the USFS fences and we usually do it to keep them off us.

One of Us
Picture of IdahoVandal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gophershooter:

What gets me are people like IV and Brent rants about use of public land for grazing,

People "like IV and Brent" what exactly does that mean?? I am merely asking a question-- should the public have any say in how public land is managed???

They have to maintain all of the USFS fences and we usually do it to keep them off us.Uuuhhh....what are these "fences" that must be maintained .....used....for....again???

I can think of some great reasons why cattle ranching should be subsidized by taxpayers....I am asking (collectively) why do you (anyone who cares to post) think the taxpayers should subsidize cattle ranching. I hope there are better ideas than "maintaining fences??"

IV

Posts: 844 | Location: Moscow, Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Funny how for some of you, it is impossible for any cow or sheep grazing for $1.35/AUM on our public land to die of anything but a wolf or bear attack, but for those of you who must know...

2005 in Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem
Confirmed Kills
97 cattle
244 sheep
11 dogs
103 wolves removed as a result of management actions

That is pretty good odds, considering there are 10's of thousands of sheep and cattle grazing in the same areas where wolves reside, that would be less than 0.005% being killed by predators. No one mentions cattle dying from eating larkspur, or sheep being struck by lightning. Oh, did I mention that the Defenders of Wildlife paid these individuals over $300000 reimbursement for confirmed kills?

quote:
running cows over thousands of acres it is diffucult to prove how the animal was killed because sometimes young calves are completely eaten,and larger animals are discovered well after the kill and bones are scattered everywhere

There is a western word for this statement...BAD ANIMAL HUSBANDRY!!! That is why all good operators hire riders to ride the cattle/sheep each and every day.

quote:
They get so nuts and fearful they wont even breed

Are you freaking kidding me? Did you read this in a fairy tail?? Man, some of you do a great impersonation of someone with a lobotomy.....

MG

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am not a wolf fan, but I'll agreethat most of the wolf kills will be reported by people who don't check their cattle as they should. Same thing happens in a similar manner in my countryside. Always have the same idiots who claim to get a cow shot during deer season. The only time they check cattle is after deer season, find a dead one, so they blame hunters. Funny that we had cattle for a few lifetimes and never had one hit by deer hunters, even when we were running ditches next to them. For some every dead cow will be a wolf kill, whether it was already dead when they started eating it or not. That said mange is the controller of coyote populations, and I would expect the same for wolves.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Main reason some of you hate wolves is because they kill so called game animals. and they are better hunters than you are. Plain and simple

Yea they are good, but i know for a fact that "aren't" faster than a speeding bullet! So, come to think of it, i guess i'm a pretty good hunter too..

DM

Posts: 696 | Location: Upper Midwest, USA | Registered: 07 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
stevens, you sound almost as anti-ranch as the goat.

You really think it is possible to check every cow every day in rough and broken range country , manytimes heavily timbered and over tens of thousands of acres ?

I really think goat knows about as much about good, or bad, animal husbandry as a california surf bum.

And IV , if you figure the ranchers should get off public lands , maybe also the government should keep their pets(wolves) off of private property ?

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
sdgunslinger; Good post but doubt if those three,will figure it out.
We have an irrigated alfala hay bench 21/2 miles long by 1 mile wide.We get two cuttngs off it and then irrigate it to use for late pasture.But instead it is eaten to the ground by deer and an elk herd of roughly 400.We spend thosands of dollars repairing fences every year torn down by elk.w/regards

one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do you mean the folks that run on BLM land and national forest land and state land... that the PUBLIC owns??? So do we "the PUBLIC" have any say in how these lands are managed?

Heck no. I'm talking about personal friends who are south of I90 and have active populations of wolves on their propery who can do very little about it. I totally agree that the market should adjust to these facts. However, cattle are raised all over the US (TONS in Florida of all places). The individuals who have higher land values due to trust funders buying neighboring ranches (property taxes go up) AND have to deal with wolves are at a bit of a disadvantage compared to, say, a guy in Nebraska. I'm offended that some industries (oil, ranching, etc.) requires my tax subsidy to operate and others (manufacturers, hair salons, etc.) do not. Ranchers have a powerful lobby.

quote:
Killing for "fun" is a "human" perspective....

You are delusional. Do you have a cat? Ever seen the video of the killer whales torturing seals? There's enough evidence of wolves, mtn. lions, coyotes, otters, etc. killing for killing's sake. Perhaps I should have been more proper and avoided the use of the word "fun". My bad.

quote:
But they kill for "fun?" This seems to contradict the above statement.

Spend some time outdoors and observe (this will take time; years) flocks, herds, packs, etc. and tell me that wolves are any more complicated than any other critter. Again, my bad for the use of the word "fun".

quote:
Why should ranchers get a "free pass?"

I don't think, nor did I imply, that ranchers should get a free pass. Perhaps we can turn this around and claim that, since the DC idiots only reintroduced wolves into Yellowstone and not Oklahoma, Iowa or Texas (where they would do just fine) that those ranchers out of the Yellowstone area are the ones getting the free pass.

The public land grazing allotments/subsidies in my opinion are a good use of public resources as long as those getting the massive subsidy stop complaining about it and actually pay enough to make it break even, right along with us hunters and hikers who use the same resource. (If ranchers are subsidized, so are tree huggers and hunters who use the same roads). I'm a user fee advocate. The farming and ranching industry in Montana gets 30% (THIRTY PERCENT!!!) of its income from federal subsidies. I'd rather pay lower taxes and pay more for food.

one of us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]You really think it is possible to check every cow every day in rough and broken range country , manytimes heavily timbered and over tens of thousands of acres ?
[QUOTE]

It may not be some cornfield like you're used to sdgunslinger, but the operators who lease parts of the Bridger Teton don't have much problem checking their cows every day, or at least every other day. Why does it seem that the ones who claim "excessive losses" are generally those who turn their livestock out, forget about them for a month or two, then can't figure out where all of them went during a count off.

MG

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My uncle is a very successful "cattle man" or rancher if you want to call it that. He has a saying that his father taught him. "if you don't want to lose any cattle-don't have any" Losses in any business are part of doing business. I'm not saying that ranchers should lose money due to wolves. But to think no losses should ever apply is wrong also. Additionally thosae who are losing alfalfa to the elk should welcome the wolves with open arms-y'all can't have it both ways.

the chef

one of us
posted Hide Post
Chef;I dont care how many elk the wolves kill we are over run with them.
Madgoat;You are full of B.S.Nobody has that much help.Our ranch is 19,000acres and our cows will be in 4 bunches.We have 5 cowboys and somedays you have to priortise what you do w/respect to what has to be done.In some places we haul our horses 14 miles before we can start to ride and you never find all of them.w/regards

one of us
Picture of Snapper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Madgoat:

Why does it seem that the ones who claim "excessive losses" are generally those who turn their livestock out, forget about them for a month or two, then can't figure out where all of them went during a Count off. thumb
MG

I just had this image of cows counting off. homer

Sounds like a case of big hat, no cattle disease!

Posts: 767 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of IdahoVandal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdgunslinger:

And IV , if you figure the ranchers should get off public lands ,

Get off public lands???(Never said that) I asked if the PUBLIC should have any input on how it is managed. Then I asked if there were better justifications for it than "maintaining fences"

maybe also the government should keep their pets(wolves) off of private property ?

The government should NOT keep there (pets) the wolves off of "private property" When you purchase private property you understand (I hope) that owning private property does not mean that your rights regarding the property are universal in what you can do; they are subject to the rules of law. For example, if you own a piece that a river runs through you can't dam the river and preclude everyone downstream from water. The same thing applies to wildlife, the state owns them (subject to Federal law)and you (the property owner) can take steps to discourage their use of your property within the bounds of the law. You can certainly put up high fences but we all know costs may be prohibitive. I guess you're asking for a change in the laws regarding wildlife? Or do you know of a way (within the current spectrum of law)to keep the "wolf pets" off of your property? I certainly support your right to petition your grievances but I doubt the voting public through the legislative and political processes would support such a change.

My family (on my fathers side) ranched in NE Washington during the 40's,50's and 60's. He retired in the 70's and recently passed away at the age of 97. I asked him awhile ago about what he thought of the wolf reintroduction, surprisingly (I expected a different response from a lifelong rancher) he thought ranchers today had it "too easy"-- when he chose ranching as a away of life it was because he could raise cattle for a profit in an environment which had pitfalls that needed to be overcome. Some of those pitfalls were large carnivores that wanted to eat his cattle.

So, I guess I'll ask again:

Should the public have any say in how PUBLIC lands are managed??

Are there better justifications than "maintaining fences?"

IV

One of Us
Picture of IdahoVandal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mt Al:

You are delusional.

Thanks for the personal comment-- I'll keep that in mind. (These are the reasons why I'll miss VG!!)

Do you have a cat? Ever seen the video of the killer whales torturing seals? There's enough evidence of wolves, mtn. lions, coyotes, otters, etc. killing for killing's sake.

Mt. Lions?? Really?? I visit between 60-100 lion kill sites every year. I would love to see this "evidence" that Mt. Lions kill "for fun" or whatever you want to call it (we obviously both agree "fun" is the wrong word)

There is certainly evidence that carnivores will kill something and then display behaviors which when personified and humanized give the appearance of "fun" or "play." That is the same mindset that movie people who produce anti-hunting trash like "Open Season" want people to think; that animal behavior should be judged relative to human behavior.

I think we can agree that the behavior we are talking about is when they kill something and appear to "play" with it (most researchers believe this is a behavior that induces the species specific "predation trigger" in their young. (Even if no young are present-- as was pointed out above they are not that complex.)

But if we decide we are going to humanize these actions-- (humans kill for fun-- and not all eat what they kill)then you may as well start spouting the anti-hunting rants that "animals have rights" (and not just to be served with butter and garlic as Uncle Ted maintains.)

And in answer to you're question- No, I don't have a cat.

Spend some time outdoors and observe (this will take time; years) flocks, herds, packs, etc. and tell me that wolves are any more complicated than any other critter.

Thanks for the tip-- I do spend a lot of time outdoors. I completely 100% agree with you--wolves are no more complex than any other Felid, Canid, Ursid, Hyeniad or Pinniped for that matter.

Perhaps we can turn this around and claim that, since the DC idiots only reintroduced wolves into Yellowstone and not Oklahoma, Iowa or Texas (where they would do just fine) that those ranchers out of the Yellowstone area are the ones getting the free pass.

that is an excellent point to put forward-- maybe if we reintroduced wolves to all of the areas you speak-- the economic playing field would be leveled.

The public land grazing allotments/subsidies in my opinion are a good use of public resources as long as those getting the massive subsidy stop complaining about it and actually pay enough to make it break even, right along with us hunters and hikers who use the same resource. (If ranchers are subsidized, so are tree huggers and hunters who use the same roads).

Hunters do pay through the normal channels that have been readily discussed on this board. i.e. Pittman-Pobertson etc.

I'm a user fee advocate. The farming and ranching industry in Montana gets 30% (THIRTY PERCENT!!!) of its income from federal subsidies. I'd rather pay lower taxes and pay more for food.

Can't argue that!

IV

one of us
posted Hide Post
Glad to learn that I'm anti-rancher, be a real surprise to my Dad and Grandfather, my uncles, as most all of them are cattlemen. I know a bit about checking cattle and fixing water gaps, thank you. As a matter of fact I just came back in the house, spent four hours after work working cutting horses. My statement is true, that if you don't check them regularly, it is hard to tell what they die from after the coyotes are eating them. Hell, we counted cows every time some lightning hit, which in Mo.,sometimes a week or two straight. I am familiar with checking cows, I was born doing it, it isn't that hard if that is your livelihood. Cattle and horses sent me to college, I don't need to learn anything about checking cattle.

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
jstevens, your dad, grandfather and you might have a different oppinion on wolves if you had them in MO around your cattle. Everybody is an expert, but they probably don't live with them on a daily basis. Oh, you can have all the cowboys and riders you want checking stock during the day, but most of the problems occur at night. So don't judge ranchers to hard, until you walk in their shoes. Daryl Shehan.

Posts: 296 | Location: Clyde Park, MT | Registered: 29 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jarrod:

Why don't we introduce them (wolves) in Kentucky and see how you like the "better hunters" managing your deer populations. I think you will have a different take on them then.

Mink and Wall Tents don't go together. Especially when you are sleeping in the Wall Tent.
DRSS .470 & .500

Posts: 1051 | Location: The Land of Lutefisk | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes jstevens , I realize you know about checking cows in Missouri........how many acres does it take to run a cow there ?

How many acres do you suppose it takes on BLM or FS ranges in Wyo. or Montana ?

Does the terrain remotely resemble Missouri ?

All I am saying is give the western cattlemen a break , it just ain't possible to keep as close tabs as we can in the midwest. And if a wolf kills a calf down in some canyon it may take half a day to ride into , you are right , by the time it is found there is no telling what killed it , and Defenders of Wildlife will yell coyote , or lightning , or a dozen other means of death and make no payment .

IV......what your rant boils down to a classic case of tyranny by the majority , It may be lawful but as far as I'm concerned , it is not moral. If you owned dangerous large dogs that were attacking or harrassing your neighbor's stock or otherwise causing trouble on his private property you would be prosecuted, sued , or otherwise dealt with........but because the govt. is the govt. they can get away with it.

Now what the heck does damming up a river have to with this topic ? How does that compare with introducing long ranging predators into a couple of states ; predators the gov't KNEW would never stay in the Park or wilderness areas ?

Or even stay on govt. lands ?

And with all due respect to your uncle , I've heard the same thing from alot of oldtimers......."you young pups just got it too easy"...... well todays rancher has a different set of problems to deal with than they did in the Fifties , but nontheless difficult. Iv'e got a hunch your uncle would take his set of problems over todays' troubles, and I'll bet he didn't have big brother looking over his shoulder telling him not to get too rough with those predators.

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any animial cat/wolf/bear ect.. that comes onto my personal property and is destroying my cattle/dog ect.., i should beable to kill it with any means i see fit...

I would have no problem at all doing so under those conditions and in fact i already have. It's no secret, as i'm not ashamed of doing it...

To reintroduce the wolves was insane, and it's too bad the townies got that one over on us!!

DM

Posts: 696 | Location: Upper Midwest, USA | Registered: 07 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
quote:
To reintroduce the wolves was insane, and it's too bad the townies got that one over on us!! thumb

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1632 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Regarding reintroducing wolves to places like Iowa:

That's kinda silly. With the number of people there, the amount of traffic, etc., they wouldn't last two seasons, I bet. Heck, I live in a state with the largest wilderness east of the Mississippi and they can't even reintroduce lynx.

Why they'd want to is beyond me, of course. But they tried. They lynx kept getting smackered by cars as they crossed roads.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Daks:
Regarding reintroducing wolves to places like Iowa:

That's kinda silly. With the number of people there, the amount of traffic, etc., they wouldn't last two seasons, I bet.

'tis not a foregone conclusion in my opinion, but we won't need to reintroduce them. They shall introduce themselves shortly. Whether they can make it is anyone's guess. But there are plenty of groceries, so I'm pulling for them.

Brent

When there is lead in the air, there is hope in my heart -- MWH ~1996

Posts: 2255 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry guys, but I'm very familiar with hunting BLM land in Wyoming and the topography there. Yes it takes more acres to check cattle in Wyoming, they can also be pretty darn hard to find in our bruch choked ditches as well. I don't know how I became a villain in this wolf debate as I hate the damn things. Several years ago, they ruined some previously good hunting areas in the Church and Selway in Idaho for elk hunting. Get this guys- I don't like wolves, I have posted about them ruining western hunting many times. I just said that there are more wolf kills reported than are real, hell here in Mo., I have someone telling me every other day that a mountain lion killed one of their calves, but on our place, they die from scours, at birth, not from lions. I sure as hell don't like wolf reintroduction, and there is no one on this board more in tune with cattlemen. Hopefully that cleared up some air.
For those who think raising cattle is easy and profitable, go give it a try, nobody's stopping you.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just had this image of cows counting off. Sounds like a case of big hat, no cattle disease!

I guess if you've never heard anything about a "count on" and "count off" you don't know shit about grazing on public land do you Snapper?

quote:
Madgoat;You are full of B.S.Nobody has that much help.Our ranch is 19,000acres and our cows will be in 4 bunches.We have 5 cowboys and somedays you have to priortise what you do w/respect to what has to be done.In some places we haul our horses 14 miles before we can start to ride and you never find all of them.w/regards

Yea, people do have that much help. Heck, a good friend of mine's owns over 100000 acres here in Wyoming, and four members of the family run the ranch and don't have any trouble working the 1800 pair they run. Confused He's got pastures that are 17000 acres. I guess if not having enough help is a problem, get more?

quote:
Thanks for the tip-- I do spend a lot of time outdoors. I completely 100% agree with you--wolves are no more complex than any other Felid, Canid, Ursid, Hyeniad or Pinniped for that matter.

Hey IV, which family of pinnipeds are you refering to? Phocidae, Otariidae, or Odobenidae? Big Grin

MG

One of Us
Picture of IdahoVandal
posted Hide Post
Definetly a fan of Odobenidae although I never have been much of a Beatles fan..... Wink

Interestingly, they (Pinnipeds) are the closest family to bears-- genetically speaking.....

IV