Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Magnums for Wimps
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of jaycocreek
posted
I suppose if a person was to compare a 30-06 with High Energy loads from Federal to the .300 H&H and .300WM standard loads,there would be little gained if any with 80 fps difference with 180 grain bullets.Then again if you put High Energy loads in the .300 Win Mag you can push a 200 grain Nosler faster than a 180 grain .06 High Energy.How important is this?

I have to say that in all my hunting here in Idaho I have seen very few Magnums around untill the 7MM.Most all of the locals use from a 30-30 to an .06 with a few .300's and alot of 7MM's now.But there is always Elk in the freezer.Last year I didn't even get an Elk Tag(My wife got a Moose permit) and had hands on with 5-Elk.Two shot with a 25-.06 and a premo bullet two with the .270 and the Nosler and one with the .06 also with the Nosler.They all worked just fine and the 25-.06 took one at 300+ yards.

I have a .300 Winnie but the only reason I have one is it was time to get another gun for my youngest son and I ran accross a guy that needed bucks fast and got a very good deal on it.I really like it but I don't see much difference on Elk from my .270 untill you get out there abit with angle shots and on Deer it is overkill and can ruin meat if your off a hair bigtime.If it wasn't for the good deal I got I would have gotten a 30-.06 .With reloading and High Energy Ammo it is all but what the .300's of old were and if a good Premium bullet is used,it will put meat in the freezer everytime if you do your job within any reasonable distance just as fast as my .300.

Just my opinion.Jayco.

Posts: 565 | Location: Central Idaho | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
After reading this I see that many have made a civilized contribution to this post.
Why is it so important for some to label others. Yes, there are assholes out ther. Its not their choise in calibers that make them slobs.
I don't usually see the negative side of things. There is much good about this sight but this is bullshit.
Then again...maybe its a source of entertainment for those who hide behind their pc's.
MG, your the man!
sidewinder

Posts: 133 | Location: Bothell,Wash | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote