New
Find
Notify
Tools

Minnesota Deer
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
The Minnesota deer season will open on the first Saturday in November, which is this upcoming Saturday.

Good luck to all Minnesota deer hunters.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yah buddy! Flying to the Cities on Thursday; my daughter and I drive up to the shack Friday afternoon.

Last year her husband and she lived on da range; she led software development for my software company and her husband taught school in Virginia. On the way back from the shack she burst into tears and said she didn't have the passion for software and wanted to become a music professor and performing musician. She played for the Mesabi Symphony Orchestra; back in 2003, if you watched the state high school championship, she was the one who played the National Anthem for both Class A and AA finals.

Her husband, an inveterate outdoorsman, supported her 100% (what more can you ask of a son-in-law?); they left their house on Ely Lake and moved to the cities after my daughter was accepted into a masters program. Her husband found a job teaching in a suburb.

What a difference a year makes. I mark the years two ways: leaving deer camp in November and taking down the Christmas tree in January 2.

I have hunt all over the world (this year I hunted in Africa and Australia) but I always look forward to my week at the deer shack.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, good luck to you. I hunt near Sturgeon Lake, MN so I will be too far away from you to hear you shooting. Shoot straight!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I hunted Mn for years until uncle passed and the cousins sold the farm.

I was in my shack for a look.

Wis starts the 17th

Good luck and have fun.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Deer have been secondary to waterfowl for me at home. Where I live, too many people, too much pressure for much trophy deer. Lots of animals just to shoot them (southern part of the state).

I will be out at the cabin looking for Bambi, but don’t be surprise if I end up shooting ducks instead!

Posts: 11030 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Our regular season opens this Saturday, best of Luck to those going out.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Best of luck.

I traveled to Minnesota on business years ago. I loved the state and was very close to moving there.

Would love to hunt that state in the future.

Looking forward to your report!!

Posts: 2663 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lindy2:
Well, good luck to you. I hunt near Sturgeon Lake, MN so I will be too far away from you to hear you shooting. Shoot straight!!

Our shack is actually near Birchdale, right on the Canadian border. Fly out tomorrow morning.

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Had ribeyes on the grill tonight, had a sauna and listened to radio bingo on 93.1 Fort Frances Ontario. Exciting. I am the only one with an unfilled tag but could care less - I love my annual week at the shack.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
2 misses for me, but two more weekends to go.

Thanks for coming up to Minnesota to hunt.

one of us
Picture of talentrec
posted Hide Post
Opening weekend, with 10 hunters in the field we saw 5 deer and 12 wolves. Two of the deer were being run by wolves when we saw them, and one wolf was staking out our shack at 11:00 AM waiting for someone to let the dogs out. Didn't see a single fawn. Last year, we saw no wolves and were tagged out by noon on Sunday.

Posts: 810 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, my daughter and her hubby joined us. I passed on an 8 point buck but never ended up seeing a monster. Shot a small 8 pointer for the freezer.

Sad to leave the shack yesterday. Saw an absolutely stupendous buck on Hwy 53 just north of the Kab turnoff just standing near the highway. Biggest deer I have ever seen alive in MN.

I have business this week in MN, going to watch my daughter play in an opera Saturday night, then fly home on Sunday.

I no longer miss the four seasons - it will be great to get back to AZ where I can hunt and shoot in shirt sleeves and no snow!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by talentrec:
Opening weekend, with 10 hunters in the field we saw 5 deer and 12 wolves. Two of the deer were being run by wolves when we saw them, and one wolf was staking out our shack at 11:00 AM waiting for someone to let the dogs out. Didn't see a single fawn. Last year, we saw no wolves and were tagged out by noon on Sunday.

Do y’uns have a wolf quota or season. I think coyotes are a scourge. I can’t imagine a bunch of 175 pound versions.

Posts: 12259 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
wow,, if your seeing them you got problems.
I have seen one single wolf near here, but a ton of tracks and the remnants of their work.

two I was tracking one afternoon trying to get a shot at, was seen by the wife I had sitting on a ridge.
she wouldn't try a shot at them since they were in that little trot dogs have once they hit the open grass.
I was not amused.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, my trip to MN took a turn for the worst on Thursday; I was driving north on 53 to visit a customer, then pick up my deer meat. The roads were horrible on Thursday Nov 15 but having lived in AK and MN for over 20 years, I know how to drive in the snow. But that doesn't mean everyone else does; a guy driving a Dodge Caravan came around a curve, lost control and came at me sideways. I remember the "crunch" but the next thing I remember is a bunch of people around me. I had a get extracted from the car as the doors would not open. Suffered a broken rib (they are incredibly painful), a bruised lung, a facial bone fracture and a bunch of cuts and abrasions.

This follows on the heels of the dog bite to my face in August in Australia (needed reconstructive surgery and spent two days in hospital there), my glaucoma diagnosis in July, and my tick bite fever in June from Africa.

Not been a good health year for me but I just have to shake it off and move on.

If I had not been wearing my seat belt, I would have been dead; WEAR YOUR SEATBELTS!!!

If anyone wants to post the pic of my car, happy to send it; I don't post pics.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Geez, if it wasn’t for bad luck, you wouldn’t have any!

The citiots are becoming more common. It takes a blizzard or two for them to figure out that snow ain’t concrete...

Rib fractures suck big time... yawn, laugh, cough and you are in misery for 6-8 weeks potentially. Flying home isn’t going to be fun, but I bet you are at the airport a day early the way things are going!

Posts: 11030 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:

Rib fractures suck big time... yawn, laugh, cough and you are in misery for 6-8 weeks potentially. Flying home isn’t going to be fun, but I bet you are at the airport a day early the way things are going!

Yesterday morning was extremely painful; I was just about in tears. Duluth St Mary's gave me a prescrip for oxy, but I didn't fill it, thinking I was doing ok. Well, yesterday, I had her fill it and get me a neck brace; I am tilting my neck to one side to compensate for the rib and it is causing neck strain.

I took 2 oxys yesterday; even went to the U of M opera performance where my daughter was playing the flute piece.

I really want to go long range shooting tomorrow or Tuesday...

The guy that hit me lived in Cook and has so for quite some time, so I have no idea why he couldn't control his car around a curve; maybe the tires were bad.

I will be at MSP plenty early today.

one of us
posted Hide Post
That's to bad spent the last few days traveling to mother in laws funeral lots of windshield time
Missed by first Wis openings weekend in 50 years well have to hunt hard for theft week get well and have safer travels

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of talentrec
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
quote:

Do y’uns have a wolf quota or season. I think coyotes are a scourge. I can’t imagine a bunch of 175 pound versions.

Hopefully we will again next year! When we did have our season, I struck out both times. They sure were thick this year.

Posts: 810 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of miles58
posted Hide Post
Had another good season this year with the crossbow. Shot the last one on Monday before Thanksgiving. Had a little trouble with #2, took some tracking the next morning but I found it OK. Came to the realization that I will never by myself get the population under control where I live, and it's unlikely there will be any more people ever hunting here.

Posts: 964 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Surprised you're not just SSS'ing those dirty bastards. The success rate during the season for them is dismal from what I've read unless you use hounds.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
AAZW: Sorry to hear about your run of bad luck: a car wreck, dog bite, glaucoma, and a tick bite. I thought I had it bad with a hernia surgery, knee surgery and gall bladder surgery in a three year span. I survived 67 years without a single surgery, then have three operations in a three year period. Hope you heal up fast and will be back out in the field soon. I leave for my fifth hunt with Sebra in May 2019.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1388 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote