THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Beware Buckmasters marketing dept scamming

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Beware Buckmasters marketing dept scamming
 Login/Join

posted
Buckmasters scamming for business

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buckmasters whats up with them?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I got a call afew months back from Buckmasters and they try to sell me the "program". I said let me see a copy of the mag. They say okay send one out if you like it we will sign you up for the lifetime membership and give you all these gifts.I recieve the mag fing it to be only fair in quality and do not respond to join.Now they send me to collection for a membership I never wanted and said I did verbally.Watch out for these guys fellows real scammers. Hey Jackie...

Posts: 5 | Location: Fairfax,California | Registered: 06 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had the exact same thing happen with Sports Afield 15 years ago.

The offer was for a free magazine with no obligation to subscribe. Well, I get the free magazine and a month later a bill shows up for a subscription.

I send the bill back with a nice letter explaining that I didn't want to subscribe.

More invoices, then on to "collection". I never paid and the letters quit coming.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
I've had other fellas tell me the same story.

It is pretty crappy of them.

I always turn them down. IMO Petersen's is much better.

If I decide I want a different magazine, I breeze through them at wal-mart or the books store and see which one is the best. They always have those little cards in them you can send in for a subs.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
This is one of the oldest telemarketing scams around. They hope that some large % of people who take the free one will just pay the bill when it comes. probably 1/2 the ones who get the collection notice are scared and pay the bill.

My philosophy is NEVER take a free magazine.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2590 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
There are companies not affiliated with the magazines at all that send official looking invoices to make it look like you owe them money. A company purportedly representing Newsweek recently sent me a letter indicating I had failed to pay for a subscription (I had never indicated by mail, phone or any other way I wanted a subscription).

Another thing to watch out for, is the signing up for a 2 or 3 year subscription to save money. In the past, I signed up for 2 year subscriptions to Shutterbug and to Car and Driver. In both cases, after a year the magazine stopped coming. It took letters threatening to contact attorney generals (and in the case of Car and Driver I actually contacted the OH and CO attorney generals) before my subscriptions were reinstated.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
if it isn't in writing (your agreement to subscribe or purchase), it doesn't mean squat. i married an attorney and she reminds me once each year on things like this (and a far more often on other stuff).

Posts: 678 | Location: lived all over | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
Those are the tactics the North American Hunting Club uses all the time.

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am a lifetime member of Buckmasters...joined when it was $200 bucks way back when. It was decent at best back then, but is purely trash now in my opinion. I am so sick of the "me & joe" articles I could puke. They are more predictable than my wife's movies on the lifetime channel! I do appreciate their efforts with the disabled persons though...very noble of them.

I get the magazine...take it to the thunderpot and glance through it and send it on to file 13 anymore, as there might be one article I enjoy all year....their articles just don't interest me anymore. And if Jackie aint a dingaling I'm a Chinese rocket pilot. What a goofball.

Posts: 373 | Location: Leesburg, GA | Registered: 22 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ivan
posted Hide Post
I had one of these jokers call me a couple years ago. They where hocking subscriptions and the proceeds where suposed to go to the make a wish foundation or what ever it is for sick kids. Anway I said I don't read many magazines and really don't like reading about whitetial hunting... I asked if it was possible to just donate the amount for the subscriptoin instead of signing up and the kids only getting a protion of it. They told me that I coudn't do that. I asked about where these programs were taking place, as I would like to donate time and energy if possible... they said they didn't know. I asked what the F are you selling then? Sounds to me like you're just out to sell off subscriptoins and are using the kids as a crutch and should be ashamed of yourself.

I then wrote an email to the VP of Buckmasters and got in a heated debate about it and low and behold he told me that there was no pleasing me and that I was flat out wrong. He would not answer the question why I coudn't just donate money through them instead of buying their garbage... I told him that he was a worthless POS... end of story. F Jackie Bushman and all his chronnies!

Posts: 576 | Location: The Green Fields | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ivan:
I had one of these jokers call me a couple years ago. They where hocking subscriptions and the proceeds where suposed to go to the make a wish foundation or what ever it is for sick kids. Anway I said I don't read many magazines and really don't like reading about whitetial hunting... I asked if it was possible to just donate the amount for the subscriptoin instead of signing up and the kids only getting a protion of it. They told me that I coudn't do that. I asked about where these programs were taking place, as I would like to donate time and energy if possible... they said they didn't know. I asked what the F are you selling then? Sounds to me like you're just out to sell off subscriptoins and are using the kids as a crutch and should be ashamed of yourself.

I then wrote an email to the VP of Buckmasters and got in a heated debate about it and low and behold he told me that there was no pleasing me and that I was flat out wrong. He would not answer the question why I coudn't just donate money through them instead of buying their garbage... I told him that he was a worthless POS... end of story. F Jackie Bushman and all his chronnies!

I hope it wasn't Make a Wish Foundation for which they were raising money. They don't allow terminally ill kids to make their last wish a hunting trip.

Hunt of a Lifetime (huntofalifetime.org) does do this. I donated a ticket to kid from Ohio so he could go bear hunting. He got his bear on the last day of the hunt.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7575 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hunt of a Lifetime is a good organization, I am familiar with their work. A friend of mine does a lot of volonteering for them and helps with the kids hunts.
Buckmasters, Texas Trophy Hunters, and various other "foudations" are for profit organizations that are out to make money. They make bubba believe he's on a team or a member of an association because he has a sticker on his truck.
They do very little actual conservation work that isn't self serving.

The Hunt goes on forever, the season never ends.

I didn't learn this by reading about it or seeing it on TV. I learned it by doing it.

Posts: 729 | Location: Central TX | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BCSteve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ELKMAN2:

Yeah, they kept sending me free issues. I received their magazine for almost a year before they realized I wasn't interested in a subscription and wasn't going to pay.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ELKMAN2:

This is the one I have experienced....

they sent me to collections before I even got the first bill!

Almost as bad as some doctors' offices....

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Reloader:
IMO Petersen's is much better.

Reloader

I beg to differ. Petersen's does this also. Last year, you got a free one-year subscription to HUNTING at the SCI. It was automatically renewable. Just try to cancel it! It took me three months to do so. I am smarter now (LOL). This year I didn't sign up for the free Outdoor Life subscription at the Harrisburg show.

THE LUCKIEST HUNTER ALIVE!

Posts: 853 | Location: St. Thomas, Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 08 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I always thought J Bushman was a flake anyway, hunting tame deer with his pressed jeans, etc. I don't think he's a hunter, just a TV joker making a buck. I wouldn't give a quarter for the mag anyway and his show sucks.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got some friends who know him who agree with you jstevens. He was a tennis pro who just saw a business opportunity a'la Bassmasters and consulted with Ray Scott on how to bring the idea off.

My all time favorite scene was him carrying on like a little sissyboy around those rattlesnakes, proving that the leggings he had on would deflect their fangs. When they struck, he squeeled like the biggest brokeback guy you ever heard.

What a goober.

Posts: 373 | Location: Leesburg, GA | Registered: 22 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buckmasters are just "slicky boy bubbas" preying on "chump Bubbas".

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks"
Hamlet III/ii

Posts: 423 | Location: Eastern Washington State | Registered: 16 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I might sign up if they would throw in a free cough silencer Wink

Posts: 294 | Location: Waunakee, WI USA | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm glad to hear that other people have opinions of Bushman which are similar to mine. He's a jerk! Some friends and I leased a ranch in Montana for almost 15 years until Buckmasters found out about it and moved in and were able to put the "slick talk" and big bucks on the rancher. To make a long story short, they bought the ranch and we've been searching for a "home" ever since. If I ever get a chance to meet the prick face to face, I think I'll try to make him a necktie from his asshole! pissers
Bull1

Posts: 405 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello the camp:
We have also had this problem with Buckmasters. This has gone on for several years. On the other hand, I have a subscription to American Woodwoker that I got through a friends daughter for Girl Scouts or some such. My one year subscription was over about ten years ago and they keep sending it with no bill. Go figure.
Judge Sharpe

Is it safe to let for a 58 year old man run around in the woods unsupervised with a high powered rifle?