THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    My experience with Nosler Ballstic Tips
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My experience with Nosler Ballstic Tips
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of MLC
posted
The first deer I shot was with a 308, Federal Factory 150g Nosler BT.
He was a 2 yr old I'd guess around 150 pounds.
I had full broadside penetration at 75 yards and the deer ran about 60 or 70 yards with a blown aorta and no lungs to speak of.
The one I shot two days ago was different, and somewhat odd.
The load was:
6.5x55 120g NBT, 39g Varget.
Last time I chrono'd it 5 shots ran:
hi 2656 lo 2650 es 6 avg vel 2653 sd 4
I chose it because of my previous Nosler experience plus it is the most accurate load I've found so far in my rifle.
She was a one or two year old, 100#'s.
I shot her from 25-30 yards with my CZ, semi quartering towards me and at the shot she did a buck worthy of bronco status then ran about 40 yards.
The bullet went just behind her left humerus and under the scapula.
It nailed a rib dead on, did a brief tour of the lungs and heart then really did some work on the liver and nicked the stomach.
I did not see an exit hole when I dressed her.
Yesterday when I was skinning her I found a blood clot on the opposite side, in the center was the lead core of the BT.
I checked inside and found the jacket wedged into a rib just in from the core.
This is the recovered bullet:

I was surprised that the bullet did not penetrate at what I would consider a moderate velocity.
The terminal performance left nothing to be desired on the shot I took but it left me wondering what if I had hit the humerus or scapula and also what will the bullet do at a lower velocity.
I expected the 6.5 Nosler to be similar in performance to the 308 Nosler I'd used before because the sectional density of the 120 6.5 is very similar to the sd of the 150 grain 308.
I would imagine the velocity was also reasonably similar since the range was slightly longer with my 308 and it's 20" barrel wouldn't generate as much velocity.
I've been happy with the other 6.5 bullets I've used recently.
I took a small doe last year with a 140 grain Sierra Game King and hit her humerus dead on at a similar range.
The bullet left large bones fragments in her abdominal cavity on its way out the other side.
The other two I took last year were with the 160 Sierra RN.
Both of those were magnificent pentrations and large entry and exits that hit ribs going in and out.

I thought the 120 would just fine for the deer on my farm but now am am thinking that I'll stick with the 140's so that all shots will be humane and available.
I'm curious as to what velocities and ranges Nosler Ballistic Tip users are taking game and what they've found in terms of penetration.
Is core seperation common?

Posts: 233 | Location: Solebury, PA | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
I've only used the .308 and 7mm BT on deer. First one I shot was a fairly good sized four point standing in position quartering away. M-788 in .308 with a 150gr bullet @ 80yds. At the shot I saw meat fly out of the left shoulder and the deer went down like he'd been hit in back of the head with a hammer! Both shoulders were blood shot and the only part of the bullet we found was the boattail in the opposite side shoulder. Four or five deer later I got tired of throwing away the front shoulders and went to a softpoint.

Used a 130gr BT loaded down for my son's first deer using my M-70 in 7mm-08. No tracking or bother just a boy's first deer with a minimum of recoil or fuss.

If you just gotta have a "bang-flop!" the BT are just the ticket, but if you want to eat more than 60% of the available venison look else where.

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Used a 130gr BT loaded down for my son's first deer using my M-70 in 7mm-08.

Nosler don't make a 130gr 7mm BT, did you mean a 120gr?

BTs generaly don't exit on such angled shots especial when at close range. The 'textbooks' don't like failure to penetrate or core jacket seperation but the deer fall quicker and more reliably.

I use a lot of 100gr 6.5 BTs on deer and find them extremely good.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you want to eat more than 60 percent of the available venison don't shoot them in the shoulders! If you want a bullet to work from any angle maybe ballistic tips are not the answer.

Leftists are intellectually vacant, but there is no greater pleasure than tormenting the irrational.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Your experience with Ballistic Tips is quite typical: Quickly dead deer with jacket and core separated, but close to each other and usually caught by the stretchy hide of the offside. Had your bullet caught the arm bone, you might have had a little less penetration, but the major bullet upset would still have been in the thoracic cavity where you WANT it, rather than in a tree, shrub, or another deer just beyond your primary target.

An eight hundred pound elk may be another issue, but any deer smaller than a caribou is a perfect target for Ballistic Tip performance. Write again when you fail to drop a deer with Ballistic Tip out of that 6.5.

Incidentally, there is a kind of "bell curve" for pentration/velocity. While it is true that when a bullet strikes a particular target medium at or above a particular speed, it may penetrate less than at some lower speed, meaning that the limits of the bullet's structural integrity have been exceeded. However, until that point is reached, the bullet will penetrate more with more speed. My best guess is that your roughly 2600 fps MV is below the optimum penetration speed for that particular bullet in "deer" target media. A couple of hundred FPS more might have provided you with full penetration. Of course, if you could do the same shot on the same deer ten times in a row, you might get full penetration 9 times, or perhaps no times. But like I say, when you fail to put a deer in the pot with a BT, be sure to write again.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The deer did not run enough to speak of. With the entrance where you describe it had 12-18" of penetration and was massively destructive. The bullet operated perfectly. I shoot that same bullet at 3000 fps with about the same results. Never had to shoot one twice and never had to trail one.

If you want one that will always exit, get a failsafe, Barnes or something else with a solid shank.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1894mk2:

Nosler don't make a 130gr 7mm BT, did you mean a 120gr?

Can I plead to an elderly moment at the ripe old age of 46? I believe you're right they were 120's
Confused

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just a few days ago killed my fifth Antelope and 10th head of Big Game in the last four years using the WONDERFUL Nosler 130 gr. Ballistic Tips out of my Remington 700 Sendero in caliber 270 Winchester! All animals were killed with one shot and by using the proper heart/lung shot placement on all of them - not a pound of meat was wasted!
I fully intend to take my 270 and the Nosler Ballistic Tips out in a few days for the Deer opener here in Montana!
Every once in a while I hear some detrimental comments regarding the Nosler Ballistic Tips on Big Game. My observations and experiences sure points in the opposite direction from that though!
Like someone above posted proper shot placement with the Nosler Ballistic Tips will bring your animal to bag!
If you have time to aim at a game animals shoulder you have time to properly aim at the heart/lung area!
Heart/lung shots with Nosler Ballistic Tips will result in an emphatic harvest with no questions to need answers for!
"Shoulder shooting" game animals, with ANY bullet, will result in unacceptable meat loss and bloodshot and slower than necessary kills! The heart/lung shot is infinitely more desirable and appropriate for our non-dangerous game!
Long live Noslers!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
I liked Stonecreek's description of the Ballistic Tip's capabilities. A limited bullet for limited game and be sure you are extremenly careful in picking your shots. Give me a Partition and a shoulder shot anyday. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
In my .257 Roberts with a heart lung hit they were very potent. I have not hit a shoulder with them, or any bullet that I remember.

I just like to try out new stuff, and different loads in the growing accumulation is enough to keep me busy. I'd use them again without hesitation. You have to place the shots where you know it works. Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MLC
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your input gentlemen.
I will try to find another accuracy node at a higher velocity with the 120's and see how it turns out.

Posts: 233 | Location: Solebury, PA | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
If you ever try a Partition on whitetail, mulies, or any deer for that matter, you'll wonder why you EVER even bothered with another bullet. beer

Plenty of expansion to wreck internals but not enough for significant meat damage.

Adequate penetration from any angle.

Make mine a Partition. If I ever find something a Partition won't do well, I might try another bullet for medium to large game but I doubt that'll ever happen. Big Grin

What part of PARTITION don't you understand??? homer

$bob$

Posts: 2494 | Location: NW Florida Piney Woods | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IIRC, when I was using the Nosler 150 grain BT in my .308 of the 7 bullets that I recovered all had separated from the jacket and were fragmented. I recoverd all of the deer I shot, and all were one shot kills.
I switched to Hornadys and have yet to recover a bullet from any of the 11 deer I have killed with them.

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you ever try a Partition on whitetail, mulies, or any deer for that matter, you'll wonder why you EVER even bothered with another bullet.

Not True, We had several pencil on small whitetails when bone wasn't hit. Little in Little out, loooong trail, you know the drill. They are good bullets indeed but, they really aren't necesary on whitetails.

I believe all of you that have shot piles of whitetails and antelope sized game realize that it doesn't take much of a bullet to kill them heck, I see guys bust through both shoulders w/ NBTs and Other plain cup-n-cores all of the time and still get exits. You could use pure lead and pile them up just the same.

IMO bullet construction doesn't even become and issue until the animal tips 250lbs as long as its used at it's optimal design level (IE sub 100 grain varmint bullets at 3000+ fps aren't designed for whitetails).

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MLC: What the self professed "experts" jorge and ldhunter are overlooking (and this is porved by their obvious and collective "inexperiences") - is this! SOMETIMES Nosler Partitions just are not as accurate in a particular persons Rifle as oohhhh.... say..... a Nosler Ballistic Tip!
Glowing generalities like "some" folks make are just one of the obvious shortsighted, shortcomings of inexpereienced Big Game Hunters!
For instance jorges ridiculous contention that shoulder shots are preferrable to heart/lung shots and ldhnters ignorant and ill conceived ramblings and his obvious bent on unsafe firearms handling and usage (proven by his immature and in your face attitude with his signature photo!) leads me to direct you away from the utterances of these two cretins - and for you to keep the faith with those who have both more and more valid experiences afield and who show better judgement than these two characters!
If the Nosler Ballistic Tips work for you as well as they have worked for me then you WILL have a successful Hunting career!
Take the word of folks like Big Nate, Reloader, Crowrifle and myself for your trusted "real life" testimonials!
Beware of frauds!
Long live the Nosler Bullet Company!
By the way the Big Game Rifle I intend to Hunt Elk with here in Montana starting this weekend shoots the wonderful Nosler Partitions REALLY well! So - I will be hoping to best the mature 6x6 Bull Elk that I took on the second day of our season last year! By the way that big Bull was kilt with one shot from my 7mm Remington Magnum using the Nosler 160 gr. Partition! I did NOT shoot that fine Trophy in the shoulder by the way AND it died literally IN ITS TRACKS! No meat was wasted what so ever as would have been the case with the less humane and vastly more wasteful and less sporting "shoulder shot"!
If a Hunter has time to aim at a game animals "shoulders" then he has time to aim at the more humane and much less wasteful and quicker killing heart/lung area! Like I say be wary of frauds! People who profess ridiculous things and who try and make more of themselves than the obvious facts will uphold!
In other words if you make a good shot with a good bullet your intended head of Big Game will "be in the bag"!
Good Hunting to you in the future!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
VarmintGuy,

While you are right that the Nosler Ballistic Tip is more accurate (usually about .5 MOA), I consistently get MOA accuracy out of Partitions and consider that to be a good trade off for the wonderful increase in terminal performance that they give me.

You are wrong about my experience. Seems like you and I crossed swords on the experience category before and I then mentioned that I hunt about 100 days a year and have worked for outfitters and guides.

I've killed about 65 whitetail, 10 mulies, and 5 elk of my own and finished off counteless game for inexperienced hunters and clients.

I hunt with large parties here in the south and have been in on cleaning and "autopsies" of thousands of head of deer and hogs.

That may not stack up with what some have done but it doesn't exactly make me inexperienced.

Anybody that thinks that a Nosler Partition passes through and doesn't open up has little experience with them. I've killed quite a few coyotes and feral dogs with them too and I've NEVER had one fail to open up and cause extensive internal damage and "instant" death even in a dog.

They don't leave a very large looking exit hole on the way out and that confuses some people. The internal damage is extensive though, and they are excellent bangflop bullets.

I'm not running down the NBT for accuracy and it's an excellent broadside bullet for a marksman with the time to pick his shot. I rarely have had that luxury. The NBT is also an EXCELLENT varmint bullet with few equals. It is also my choice for long range hunting which for me is anything beyond 300yds at medium to large game.

I also admit that I can get similar performance in my 308's from camparing a 180gr NBT to a 150 Partition but the extra recoil isn't worth it and it seems a poor trade off to have to go up so much in weight to compensate for the fragile jackets of the NBT.

That is why Nosler has re-released the "Solid Base" and has introduced the (relatively) new AccuBond. They have received so many compaints of fragile jackets and lackluster performance when bones are hit or on raking shots.

I talked to the Nosler techs several times after seeing poor performance from BT's and they told me every time that they were not usually good on any but broadside shots.

I know that it's natural to defend your favorite hunting bullet but I have read literally hundreds of horror stories about poor performance with NBT's over the years and can count on one hand the compaints about Partitions on any but the toughest African game.

$bob$

Posts: 2494 | Location: NW Florida Piney Woods | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
reloader,

Points well taken but since I enjoy eating venison soooooo much I never, ever, purposfully shoot a deer or elk in the shoulders.

A lung or heart hit leaves them exactly where they were when the bullet struck them and that's good enough for me. I'm usually a good enough shot to hit he lungs or heart from almost any angle either running, walking or standing although standing is pretty rare for me.

Now if I could just get good enough to slip bullets between the ribs so I didn't have to worry about bone fragments... roflmao

$bob$

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have shot a lot of the different Nosler bullets and like them. I have shot the various Barnes as well. I found the ballistic tips to be great on whitetails but rather devastating on the meat. I aim for the shoulder on most shots and note that the BT nearly takes off the shoulder. The deer is dead however.

On the Partitions, I get a pass through about 1/2 the time and the rest of the time, the bullet breaks up in the animal.

Both kill the deer or antelope or elk. I have stopped using the ballistic tips due to the damage and am back with the partitions.

My 2 cents.

Posts: 265 | Location: Hammertown, USA | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Now if I could just get good enough to slip bullets between the ribs so I didn't have to worry about bone fragments...

Nah, You should go for the Head shot. Talk about a clean gutting job, We shot some doe in the Head on a deer cull several years ago down in TX. You should see what the ole' 7 mag will do to a deer head when your pushing a 150 NBT at a hair over 3100. It's not pretty to say the least. Kind of makes it hard to hang them by the neck on the skinnin' rack Big Grin.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
eek2 lol eek2

$bob$

one of us
Picture of MLC
posted Hide Post
I appreciate the suggestions and did not intend to start another ballistic tip flame fest.
The reason I tried ballistic tips to begin with was their reputed accuracy.
I just glass bedded my rifle and the first three shots I took out of a clean bore graciously stayed in 1/2" with two overlapping.
My questions have been answered and thanks for your input guys.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MLC:

I shot her from 25-30 yards with my CZ, semi quartering towards me and at the shot she did a buck worthy of bronco status then ran about 40 yards.

Just curious, what CZ? 550 Lux, American, or full stock Mannlicher?

How do you like it?

Posts: 63 | Location: north carolina | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
MLC: I'm sorry that you have to put up with that dolt Varminguy's ramblings, but hey, what do I know, but just stop and think about this: Do you REALLY trust somebody that uses the exclamation point in every sentence to prove a point however ridiculous it might be?

Varmintguy you are a joke on this website to anybody with even a modicum of hunting experience. Your dogmatic attitude of "it's my way or the highway" is indicative of your insecurity and I might add ignorance. We've gone around with you on this and your moronic stance that shoulder shots are a poor choice is testament to your limited experience and ignorance other than with hundred pound deer and antelope.. Do us a favor will you? spew all you want but STOP using that silly-assed exclamation point on every sentence and that "long live" BS, we're talking bullets here not crowning a frigging king for chrisake! (here an exclamation point IS appropriate). jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
quote:
6.5x55 120g NBT, 39g Varget.
Last time I chrono'd it 5 shots ran:
hi 2656 lo 2650 es 6 avg vel 2653

Ideal velocity range for NBT's, on the low side for partitions, especially if shots are to be at longish ranges.

Where the BT's get shaky are when the hotrodders go light for caliber on magnum class rifles...

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MLC
posted Hide Post
crazy quik:

My rifle is a CZ 550 American, marked '02.
I'm not thrilled with the safety but at this point can't afford the Model 70 modification.
It is easy on the eyes and shoulder.
I think they equip all their stocks with a thick decelerator pad regardless of caliber so the recoil is negligable with the 6.5.
The stock inletting was slightly off center and the bolt contacted the stock before it closed all the way and the barrel rested on the left side of the barrel channel.
My groups as a result of this made me question my purchase as I was used to Remington rifles.
I hogged out the barrel channel and opened up the stock around the bolt handle.
That made it a MOA rifle with 160,140 and 120 grain bullets for 5 shots.
Recently I scraped out the CZ epoxy bedding globs and rebedded the action and trigger guard with marine-tex.
I haven't had a chance to shoot it for groups after the bedding other than the first four I shot to check zero(3 + adjustment check).

I don't think it's too bad for an untuned load and the skinny barrel.
For the money, it's a good rifle.
In the long run I'd like another 3" of barrel and a slightly heavier contour since I shoot paper more than critters.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like NBTs. They are inexpensive, very accurate, reload easily, and kill instantly, when the animal is hit in a vital areas (e.g., heart-lung-thoracic-spine region). I use them for varmints (55g), antelope (100g), deer (150-165g), caribou (180g), and elk(180g). Moreover, I wouldn't hesitate to use them on moose (180g). As with all bullets, shot placement is critical. The animals die quickly and humanely, and I don't care what happens to the bullet - usually it deposits under the skin on the opposite side. For North American game, you don't need super touch monolithic bullets (except maybe for a grizzly). NPTs also work well, but sometimes pencil through the chest unless a rib is hit. Also, they're not quite as accurate as NBTs, have soft deforming lead tips, and lower BCs.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Several posters have mentioned Partitions "penciling through" on smaller deer. While this could happen (no bullet can possibly perform to textbook specifications 100% of the time), I don't think it happens very often. What is more often the case is that the soft front end of the Partition disperses completely in the thoracic cavity and the caliber-sized rear section exits the offside skin leaving an exit that appears to have been made by a non-expanding bullet. I've had this happen on a few deer with a 6.5/140 Partition, but fuller examination reveals that there was considerable bullet upset in the heart/lung area.

In my opinion, there is little difference in the ultimate result on sub-200 pound game between the BT and the Partition. Shoot the one that works best in your rifle. If they work equally well and you want a single load for both light and heavy game, the Partition is the better choice.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AI22-250
posted Hide Post
The performance you got looks alot like a Sierra Spitzer boatail, they will come apart, but what chest cavity damage, wow. Never lost an animal with one (mule deer, many, many). They might travel a few yards, nothing more, but without lungs and a heart, maybe a piece in the spine, they usually drop on the spot.
This year my .308 has NBT (150gr's) in it. All my previous deer have been shot with 130's at about 3100fps from my .270win, from 50yrds. to more than I should have, they've never failed.
When it come to heavier game (elk) I moved up to the 140gr Barnes. Hated it. Hate bullets that don't stop in the chest cavity, even when going thru the shoulder, hole in hole out, not good. As far as I'm concerned any bullet that leaves the animal takes energy with it.
Just my thoughts

"Any society that will give up a little liberty to gain a little security deserve neither and will lose both."
-Ben Franklin

Posts: 289 | Location: Holladay,UT (SLC) | Registered: 01 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Politicians and babies should have there diapers changed often --- and for the same reason

I wouldn't relish the though of "changing a politician's diaper".

I think you mean:

"Politicians and baby diapers shoud be changed often and for the same reason -- before they begin to stink."

one of us
Picture of papaschmud
posted Hide Post
jorge:

As to VG, I completely agree. I haven't read one of his posts in over a year. Totally foolish and an embarrasment.

AI22-250:

I would disagree with you assessment of exit holes. I feel that on the occasions when you don't get an instant kill, an exit hole is extremely helpful particularly in heavy cover. As far as energy being wasted, I could care less. I believe energy has almost nothing to do with the timely death of an animal, bleeding and ruined organs are what matters. While I have as I'm sure you have too, observed shock, I believe shock is unreliable and in the end, you still have to destroy organs. Partitions do that almost every time from almost any angle with boring monotony. Boring monotony is good when it comes to excellent bullet performance.

Gabe

Posts: 410 | Location: Granite City, WI | Registered: 10 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AI22-250
posted Hide Post
I took an Elk with Barnes XBT 140gr. .270win loaded to approx 3100fps using RL22. Accuracy was very good, 1/2" groups. I hit the Elk 3 times, just behind the left shoulder blade, the elk just stood there, didn't even flich. (This was only about 70yrds.) I finally put one just behind it's head, in the neck. It dropped.

Their were three holes in (.270cal) and three holes out about (.40cal). The heart had a hole in it, same dia. in and out. Now maybe I didn't do my job right, I don't like to ruin meat with broken and splintered bones. I usually like to take the lungs and heart. The following year I decided to use the Barnes again, This time I had a 200yrd shot head on. The bullet entered the chest cavity on the left side, I recovered the bullet back just on the chest side of the diaphram. The elk walked about five feet and dropped. The only reason I told this is to illustrate that when the bullet stays in the animal, all the energy stayed in the animal. Now maybe that's not the way all animals act, but in my experience, about 45yrs of hunting deer and elk that's what I've seen.
I've stopped using any bullets, like the Barnes, solid, with little slits, However I have used the Nosler bullets for years, they mushroom great and have performed very well, it's just that I used another bullet. For years I used Nosler's 55gr solid base in my 22-250, they worked great on coyotes. (long-before the made the "balistic tip") I used Nosler Number One reloading manual, about 34gr. of IMR4895 (about 3600fps). They did a great job. As a matter of fact I've still got a few rounds left.
I guess in the end it's just a mater of what works for you.
We are headed for the hills in the morning, deer season opens Saturday morning, I can't wait, don't really care if I get an animal, just need to get to the hills.

"Any society that will give up a little liberty to gain a little security deserve neither and will lose both."
-Ben Franklin

Posts: 289 | Location: Holladay,UT (SLC) | Registered: 01 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've killed 5 bull elk - one was a godzilla-sized bull - with 165 to 180 NBTs with a 300 WM. I use 83 grs. of Re25 (26" barrel) and chronograph the load with 180s at 3275 fps. When hit in the lung area, all have either died instantly or after walking a few steps. How can you criticize that! I don't even look for the bullets - I don't care. I just want my animal to die quickly and humanely.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've killed game and been w/ guys that have killed game up to the size of elk & Canadian moose w/ the BTs.

Having said that, the potential for bullet failure is too great to use this bullet. It is very fragile, espeially at high velocities. Accurate? Very, but for anything larger than deer, using them when such excellent bullets as the partition, Barnes, and a host of bonded core bullets including the Accubond (BT on steroids)seems an unnecessary risk.

The only place I regular use them is in my single shot handguns, where because of the reduced velocity there perform exceptionally.

Posts: 341 | Location: Janesville,CA, USA | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I myself have killed 9 elk and 2 moose with the 180gr ballistic tip out of my 300ultramag with great results.Many people are unaware that there have been several versions of the ballistic tip with each succeeding version being tougher than the previous one.The 180gr .308" ballistic tip was made much tougher by nosler because so many people were using them to hunt larger game with higher velocity cartridges.That being said,I tried the barnes tsx this past fall,and I am so impressed that they are now the only bullet that I will use in my 300ultramags.However,I will still be using the ballistic tip in my 7mmstws for hunting deer sized game.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BlackHawk1
posted Hide Post
I've shot deer with 130gr BTs (.270 Win) and they are too frangible for my liking. I'll stick with Partitions and Interlocks.

MLC, FWIW, I will be using 140gr Interlocks in my CZ550 6.5x55 this year.

BH1

There are no flies on 6.5s!

Posts: 707 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 23 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I not new to the site just been away awhile. I've believe this question has been asked before but I'll state it again.
Here's the situation. I worked up aload in my 280 Ackley with reloader 22 at 63 grains. I started with the 140 grain BT and it shot groups that were just outstanding. At any range from 100 to 300 yards off a bi-pod I could regularily put 3 shots within a tennis ball sized area from all types of positions. From the bag, the 3 shot groups were barely evident of three shots. Truely 1 hole groups when I did my part. I then switched to the Accubonds and lost some accuracy but nothing to speak of for hunting. I'm preparing for a Mule Deer hunt in Wyoming in November and I shot the last 10-12 rounds I had loaded for the hunt. I was going to drop by the local reloading shop for more bullets. I've found them hard to find and out of stock in all the web sites such as Natchez, Midway and Lock Stock and barrel. I'm sure there are some out there somewhere but I don't want to wait to get my bullets loaded. I've almost decided that the 140 grain BT because of the accuracy will be adequate for the task at hand. What are your thoughts or experiences. I've shot several small whitetails here in N. Carolina with my 7mm-08 and 140 grain BT's. These deer were dead running but with massive entrance and internal damage. Blood trails as wide as a highway but not needed. The deer didn't run out of throwing distance. I would add that all shots were inside 25 yards and some hard angles. Will I be ok at 100-300 yards on hard angles with the 280 Ackley and 140 grain BT's? My guide tells me I'll have time to pick my shots and 100-150 yard shots are the norm. I won't take a bad shot but things do happen. I consider myself an excellent shot and I'm very confident at shots out to 450 yards with most of my rifles. I grew up hunting groundhog's in the hill's near the Smokey Mtns and I've shot 2 Mule Deer at 408 yards quartering away and 447 yards broadside. These 2 Mule Deer were with a 7mm Ultra Mag. Well enough of the stories. I would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks in advance.

Snider700

Posts: 214 | Location: north carolina | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would appreciate your thoughts.

Bust em' through the lungs on a Broad side shot and it'll go right on through, I've shot them faster than you are speaking of and they did fine on heavy 200+ whitetails which, are approx the size of Mulies. If you are a pretty good shot a good Broad side impact willl not be difficult due to the mostly open country they live in. We used to hunt them in Baggs and it was wide open.

Good Luck

Reloader

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jorge:
I liked Stonecreek's description of the Ballistic Tip's capabilities. A limited bullet for limited game and be sure you are extremenly careful in picking your shots. Give me a Partition and a shoulder shot anyday. jorge

jorge,
Whilst I sure you don't need my support, I'm with you 100% on this matter. thumb
After varied results there will never again be a BT in any of my rifles.
The Partition has never let me down.

Posts: 1374 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had excellent results with ballistic tips on whitetail deer. I use the 55 grain in a 22-250. Just aim for the little white spot in the neck. Twenty nine one shot drop them in their tracks kills last year. What better bullet performance could you ask for? These were all does and spikes where I could pick my shot and didn't matter if I had to pass one up. For trophy bucks I have been used my Blaser 7mm Mag with 140 grain Barnes X bullets. If I make a body shot I want a penetrating bullet that will leave a good blood trail due to the tough tracking we have in the brush country.

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote