Find
Notify
Tools

I have a question,
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted
but please don't be Texans in the answers, how is the medium and record weight for a grizzly, a male of course.
And the weight of biggest Grizzly known

bye
Stefano
Waidmannsheil

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
pope and young of archery record book fame killed one in yellowstone at the turn of the century(last) that went 900+lbs. A cattle killing griz was killed locally(wyo)5 yrs ago that went 839lbs.i would venture a guess that the average is closer to 5-600lbs for a mature boar.(i saw 43 grizzlies from july15th -oct30th last year while scouting and hunting mt.sheep)

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lhanson8
posted Hide Post
Check out the Grizzly and Wolf Discovery Center. I did a google search on it.

They say a mature male grizzlies most often weigh between 350-700 pounds and their weight is directly related to the type of food and availability of it.

They also say the heaviest grizzly on record was 1,496 pounds. They don't give any other details, where, when, ect...

Posts: 82 | Location: Kalispell, MT | Registered: 20 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In a zoo in NJ there was IIRC the largest brown bear in captivity -2000 lbs.Enormous with claws like bananas !!!In the wild I think 1500 lbs would be max.It certainly depends on how well they eat. The biggest black bear taken in PA was just over 800 dressed !!

one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted Hide Post
Thank you to all of you,
this match with my info. I had a disussion with hunter of my wild boar hunting Squad that was telling us that 750kg are very common, now 750Kg are about 1500 lbs, and when I expressed my doubt he said that I was absolutely wrong, and that he was sure that, more over in Alaska, it is possible to find 750 KG /1500 LBS grizzlies everywhere, at any corner.

This hunter is not a bad man, but has a personal mind about dimensions and weights. He see and cannot shoot enormous boars, and he always declared to kill big boars, also when they are not so big 40/50kg.

bye
Stefano
Waidmannsheil

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
The Alaska variety of grizzly bear is usually referred to as the Brown Bear. They do get materially bigger than the grizzlies in the lower 48 or interior Canada. Same species, but different colorations. The biggest reasons for the size is diet (as mentioned); the coastal Alaska Browns eat well on salmon and berries.

About 10 years back, some enterprising academic analyzed a turn of the (last) century grizzly from Custer County (Pahsimeroi valley), and the carbon analysis of the hair revealed that over 80% of the energy in the diet had come from salmon. That explains the stories of the big grizzlies from that time period. FWIW, Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have posted this before but it needs to be here. This is a friend of mine that sets up hunts into Russia, and mounts them. I don't know if they got any weights. Ron

Posts: 985 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Food is the answer. My understanding is that the coastal brown bears are just fish-fed grizzlies. I have seen the bear in NJ (now dead, I believe). It was at a zoo called Space Farms (owned by Fred Space, no less). He claimed 2000 lb and I believe him.

The bears in PA are getting bigger since because of the warmer weather, many of them have stopped hibernating. They remain active and continue to eat all year.

Liberals believe that criminals are just like them and guns cause crimes. Conservatives believe criminals are different and that it is the criminals that cause crimes. Maybe both are right and the solution is to keep guns away from liberals.

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
I just got back from Alaska and was told that the avg grizzly is 7 1/2 sqr with the width across the paws usually being over 8ft and weight about 500-550 lbs

My taxidermist said in 18 yrs he has only seen two brown bears that squared over 8 1/2 ft

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10059 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve,

Having lived with brown bears close by my home for 22 years I can assure you that a 750kg bear is a monster. Talking about brown bears in general and not just trophy boars I think weight might be more like 500-750 pounds. An interior grizzly will be much smaller.

Mike,

I might venture a guess that your taxidermist has not seen a good cross section of brown bear trophies. What he might have been referring to is the ruged out size of the bears he has done. To the shagrin of the uninformed a bear rug will often square out significantly smaller that the stretched out green hide right after the kill.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12869 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Steve,

quote:
but please don't be Texans in the answers

I resemble that remark!! Cool

I see you got your answers.

Bob

Ron-That is an awesome photo!

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Brown Bears are about 12 tons, Griz, maybe only 8 tons.

But these are just teh ones that I have shot here in Texas.

Big Grin

Posts: 6253 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I personally have killed bigger ones than Wendell but have to admit they were protein fed and shot inside a high fence. I have them full body mounted including their ear tags. I would post a picture but my camera is down right now. shocker

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wendall and M16 are well-intentioned, but confused. Those are raccoons they're talking about. They are from the same family and look a lot like bears in Texas.

Posts: 13235 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
My Racoons only get about 4000 lbs or so. I am sure these are bears. Some of them are even white.

Posts: 6253 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In Nickudu's latest articles there is one by Elmer Keith about his experiences hunting bear. Even at 500 lbs they can be very tough !!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This should give you an idea:

Old Ephraim

Died 1923 - Logan, Utah

Old Ephraim was last grizzly bear in Utah, and the curse of local sheepherders. After 10 years of tracking, Frank Clark finally blew the bear's brains out on August 22, 1923. At the time of his death, Old Ephraim stood 10 feet tall and weighed 1100 pounds. His skull was sent to The Smithsonian, where it has been preserved.

The rest of Ephraim is buried six miles up Temple Fork Road, high in the Wasatch Mountains north of Logan. A rock cairn grave, built by the Boy Scouts, marks the site.

Posts: 783 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hunt-ducks
posted Hide Post
Besides the Texas bears rotflmo there is some confusion going on here.

Grizzly's and Brown bears same family the Browns will inhabit the coast and the Grizzly's will be inland a huge Grizzly will be a 1000lbs and there few and far between with the average male weighting in around 600-700lbs before they den up. Brown's will average 1000-1200lbs with the real big ones going 1500 and i'm sure there are some that will push 1800 all before den up.

Posts: 450 | Location: CA. | Registered: 15 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hunt-ducks:
Besides the Texas bears rotflmo there is some confusion going on here.

Grizzly's and Brown bears same family the Browns will inhabit the coast and the Grizzly's will be inland a huge Grizzly will be a 1000lbs and there few and far between with the average male weighting in around 600-700lbs before they den up. Brown's will average 1000-1200lbs with the real big ones going 1500 and i'm sure there are some that will push 1800 all before den up.

There are probably a few women around here that would come darn near that on the scale Big Grin

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote