Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Black Bear 30/30
 Login/Join

posted
We now have a black bear season in my home county. I have never hunted BB, but I believe I will be spending a little time doing so this year.

I have and .243 and a 30/30. I was wondering if the 30/30 will be an adequate weapon. I am thinking 170 grain bullets loaded hot would do the trick. Shots will be short, under 50 yards in all likelihood.

Please advise on cartridge selection and or overall intelligence of a 30/30.

Posts: 9 | Location: NW NC | Registered: 22 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
No need to load them "hot." A standard 30-30 loading will suffice quite nicely on a black bear at the ranges you mention. Good luck with the hunting...

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9398 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I too agree that the 30-30 should be perfectly adequate for your hunt.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4202 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I agree with Bobby Tomek. And Phil
The 30/30 is completely adequate and no reason to hot load it. If your rifle likes 170's then shoot them, if it likes 150's then shoot those.
The 30/30 has killed more Bears large and small than most people could fathom, my personal feelings are that it is way under estimated as a cartridge.
Have fun Bear hunting

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Place a 170 grainer out of your 30-30 behind the front shoulder and you well have a bear rug and some fine eating.

Posts: 19572 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Sounds good guys. I have been shooting 150's for deer, but I will sight in some 170's to see how they shoot.

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Snellstrom-You are right on the money with that statement. While I use the Ackley Improved version as the case shape is much better suited to the single shot Contenders I favor, the velocities are still in the pedestrian ballpark of the ol' 30-30. I've taken at least a couple dozen animals with the chambering, and its effectiveness must be seen to be appreciated. Here are just a few…

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9398 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn fine collection of kills with the AI Bobby! I have a bud that took a darn nice pronghorn at a little over 200 yards with the .30-30 AI and 125 grain BT in a Contender pistol.

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Probably millions of black bear have been killed with a 170 grain round nose!

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

a little bigger than a bear,
That rifle has accounted for 20+ elk,
another moose and uncountable deer and antelope.
30-30 is plenty of rifle for lots of game.

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Nice moose! Just goes to show what a simple bullet at modest velocity can accomplish. I'm sure the big magnums burning 100+ grains of powder are nice, but they are definitely not for me. I'll take my little 7mm Bullberry or 30-30 AI Contenders any day and never feel undergunned.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
In our modern world of whizz bang magnums/ultra-mags/short mags and super short mags, many people forget that cartridge like the 30-30, 38-55, 45-70, 7x57 & 8x57, 32 Win. Special, ad infinitum of generations old cartridges that were around before the magnum craze saw light of day, can and do still kill game quite well.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks again for all the replies. I guess I was getting caught up in the hype. My hunting partner thinks anything less then a 30'06 is a bunny gun.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I even shot bunnies with my 06. Big Grin

Posts: 19572 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Since most black bears are shot at close range over bait a 30/30 is ok.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Many bears fall to 30/30's in Penna. every year. The 170gr. Will work.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote