THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Anyone have experience with Nosler Accubond Bullets?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone have experience with Nosler Accubond Bullets?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted
Anyone have experience with the Nosler Accubond bullets? I shot a nice 7 point buck at 311 yards last year with my 300 Rem Mag 150 grain. I hit the buck center of the shoulder and about 6 to 8 inches down it punched a nice hole through the deer exiting the opposite side. I had about a 2.5 inch hole exiting the shoulder. The buck jumped straight up about 4 feet ran about 20 yards and died. The bullet gives decent accuracy but I have been thinking about trying some Barns triple shock with the plastic tip in the same 150 grain weight.

What luck have you had?

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i have used some 140 grs.in my 7x57 and to date shot two hogs at about 125 yards,they both went no where DRT.also shot 2 coyotes 1 at 145 yards and the other about 280 yards. so far they worked better than the barnses triple shock,last year i shot 2 deer and 1 hog and they ran like they were afraid of the noise.looked for 2 hours and no sign of them,won't buy no more i am trying the accubond and nosler part.buy the way the old style barnes never failed my from 35 whelen to my 250 savage.

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of adamhunter
posted Hide Post
I shoot the 140gr out of my 280 Rem. I have shot five deer with them and all have been bang/flops. Closest shot was about 10 yards, longest about 160 yards. 3 out of 5 were pass thrus. Out of my factory Rem. 700 Mountain Rifle, they will keep within an inch at 100 yards which is good enough for me. I like them and will probably start shooting them out of my other deer rifles once I shoot up all the other ammo I have.

30+ years experience tells me that perfection hit at .264. Others are adequate but anything before or after is wishful thinking.

Posts: 854 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post

Here's another 7mm, 140 grain AB:

And the AB will even expand at lower remaining velocities and on smaller, "softer" creatures like the coyote yet maintain ample integrity for larger game such as hogs, black bear and elk.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9410 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Forgot to add: Barnes TSX and TTSX bullets in .30 caliber and above seem to expand better than their smaller-calibercounterparts and do so at lower remaining velocities.

Barnes attempted to address low-velocity impact problems with the TTSX, which features a larger, more cavernous hollow point and the tip to help drive the bullet open upon impact.

In the 7mm, 120 version, it has indeed been an improvement.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9410 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Plenty of experience with the AB. Simply a great bullet. More dependable all around IMO and IME. As Bobby Tomek said and shows-- (as always great pics Bobby, thanks to you)
the TSX is not always dependable in sub 30 calibers, and even 30 cal sometimes, I have proven to my satisfaction, that the cavity in the TSX in the 30 and smaller cals is often ocluded with copper, causing eratic performance. I actually like the barnes bullets a lot, they shoot very well for me, but I either drill out the tips, or shoot the TTSX, which school is still out for me on. Finally the TSX and it's bretheren take a lot of velocity to open up, so if lower speed rounds, or distance where velocities are dropping off might be your case consider that.

I have found none of these issues with the AccuBond, and with experience like you have, why in the world change!

Good shooting--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I posted pics early this week of the two accubond 140 grn fired from my .270 WSM the 140 grn bullets weighed 98 and 91 grns and where in the .430 to .440 dia range.

What I found right away was that unlike the balistic tip bullet fired above 3000 fps they didn't fragment.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
I've taken many African and North American game animals with the 160 grain Accubond over the last two years. No failures what so ever. I buy Federal Premium over the counter. It is one of my favorite bullets.
LDK

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6824 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol Bull
posted Hide Post
Ya, GREAT bullet. Shoots like a target bullet and kills like a hunting bullet. 9 deer, 2 in one shot at a ranged 748 yards and one dead cow elk at 200 yards. All dead where they stood. Sorry, no bullet pictures. Smiler

" If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand which feeds you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countryman " Samuel Adams, 1772

Posts: 1117 | Location: Helena, MT, USA | Registered: 01 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had great success with factory loaded 140's out of my sako .270. Whitetails, mule deer and antelope at ranges from 30 to 228 yards.It's all I shoot out of that rifle.

Posts: 549 | Location: n.e.Mn | Registered: 14 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am shooting them in a .338 Lapua (225gr at 3050fps) and a .375 H&H (260gr at 2800fps)

They are extremely accurate (~.5 moa in the Lapua mag and ~1 moa in the H&H) but tend to expand violently.

I shot a bull elk at 50 yards with the H&H. First shot took lungs, diaphram, liver and speckeled the heart with tiny lead particles.
It jumped and ran so I put the next one in the shoulder at 30 yards.
The first shot was a pass through, the second was under the skin on the opposite side (after shattering the shoulder(s). It weighed 157 grains and was .7 in diameter.

The shocker to me was-
1) I didn't get a pass through on the second shot
2)The first shot's ENTRY hole was 2-3 inches or nearly double the exit hole. (Yes I know which side I shot Wink

The .338s recovered from my dirt backstop (150 yards) usually weigh around 125 grains and measure .6-1 inch in diameter.
The .375s are around 165 grains and are .65-.85 in diameter-very similar to the one recovered from the elk.

I am satisfied with them but would be more impressed if they retained a bit more weight and the tips didn't flatten from recoil. (I typically use barnes/failsafe on big game)

Posts: 44 | Location: Midwestern USA | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
Here's one I recovered from a South TX deer last year, a little over 100 yards on the point of the shoulder, 280 Ackley, 3000 muzzle vel, 140 grains.

Posts: 895 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota | Registered: 13 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PATRIOT76
posted Hide Post
I have killed 5 deer with AB's out of a 308win, 4 150's, 1-165...exits on all but I think the interbond is better if your gun shoots it

Posts: 442 | Location: usa | Registered: 24 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol Bull
posted Hide Post
I've never recovered a Accubond or a Partition. They have all been pass thru's on all the deer, elk and one bull moose i've shot with them. So i don't know how well they expand or retain weight. But i sure know they drop stuff right where they stand. And they shoot very well!
The only other bullet i'll hunt with is a Northfork. I havn't killed anything with one yet but they sure do shoot good!!

" If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand which feeds you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countryman " Samuel Adams, 1772

Posts: 1117 | Location: Helena, MT, USA | Registered: 01 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PATRIOT76
posted Hide Post
http://www.gunsandhunting.com/bulletshootout.html

look at the interbond wound covity

Posts: 442 | Location: usa | Registered: 24 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shot 165 gr. Accubonds in Africa from my 30-06. 10 1-shot kills, Zebra, Kudu, and Blue Wildebeast among them. Recovered bullets from the Zebra and a Gemsbuck, perfect mushrooms and 90% + weight retention. I used the same load on deer here at home, no problems. This year I loaded some 225 grain AB's in my 338 and used it for deer hunting. (Mostly as a test for an elk hunt next year.) They shoot well out of the 338 too.

Posts: 332 | Location: Rio Rancho, NM | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rub Line
posted Hide Post
I use them in my 7mm RM. They work great. I have killed many deer, an elk and coyote. All have been one shot kills, most were bang flops.

Accuracy in my Abolt is wonderful.

-----------------------------------------------------

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you yourself will be just like him. Proverbs 26-4

National Rifle Association Life Member

Posts: 1992 | Location: WI | Registered: 28 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shot 4 whitetail does, 3 antelope and a goat this year with 130 gr. 270 Accubonds, did recover one which weighed in at 87 gr.(Penitration was nearly full length on the animal, a whitetail doe.) All the deer except the frontal shot where the bullet was recovered ran 25 to 75 yds despite large exit wounds. The goat was DRT but slid 250yds down the mountain... Two of the antelope were DRT and the other ran nearly 250 yds and died.

Note that I also whacked 2 whitetails with my 7.62x39 using 123gr Horns.(MV 2450fps) They were broad side at about 150 yds and both passed through leasving impressive exit holes. One was DRT the other ran 50yds+. Frankly you could not tell the difference between it and the 270 based on exit wounds or internal damage.

I took two mule deer while out elk hunting with my 9.3x62 using 286gr NP's. The buck was DRT total pass through 3 finger wide exit hole. The doe, one of the biggest I've ever seen, ran 100yds in spite of an exit hole big enough to allow lung tissue to blow out of the wound freely. Internal damage was not nearly as spectacular as with the 270 or even 7.62x39. I think that has to do with the 9.3 bullet just starting to open up while it was just exiting the deer!

Elk season has been extended 3 weeks, yippie! Maybe I'll fill my tags!

Posts: 763 | Location: Montana | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P. Jilek:
I shot 165 gr. Accubonds in Africa from my 30-06. 10 1-shot kills, Zebra, Kudu, and Blue Wildebeast among them. Recovered bullets from the Zebra and a Gemsbuck, perfect mushrooms and 90% + weight retention. I used the same load on deer here at home, no problems. This year I loaded some 225 grain AB's in my 338 and used it for deer hunting. (Mostly as a test for an elk hunt next year.) They shoot well out of the 338 too.

I love the bullet but have never had 90% + retention of the ones I have dug out.

The best has been 70% and the second was 65% 140 grn before 98 and 91 after.

It is a lot tougher than the Nosler balistic tip.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 900 SS
posted Hide Post
Its one of the best leadcore bullets so far. A good balance between expansion and penetration in my opinion. For me its either these or TSX.

These two are out of moose, one 225 gn 35 Whelen (right) and a 260 gn 375 H&H.

Posts: 408 | Location: Bardu, Norway | Registered: 25 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I recovered two from a New Mexico cow elk this year - both under the far side skin. I have heard about this but never seen it before. 7mm Rem mag 160 gr Federal factory load, 120 yards. One weighed 112 grs, the other 113 (say 70%).

Once I start, I try to keep firing as long as the game is up and in sight. The elk travelled about 20 yards from first to second shot - by the time I had a third round in the chamber the elk was down. Both shots just behind the shoulder.

By way of comparison I used 180 gr Barnes TSX (.30-06, again Federal Factory load) on a Newfoundland bull moose this year - three shots. One through shoulder as he quartered towards me, 2nd too far back, third behind shoulder. Range 60-100 yards, total distance travelled maybe 50 yards. Did not recovery any of the bullets.

In both cases I believe the first shot was all that was necessary, it just took the moose longer to figure it out. I was very pleased with bullet performance in both cases.

Liberals believe that criminals are just like them and guns cause crimes. Conservatives believe criminals are different and that it is the criminals that cause crimes. Maybe both are right and the solution is to keep guns away from liberals.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I wanted to try something different this year for mulies and cow elk in my .338 Lapua. I have used 250 PTs with success on elk, 210 TSXs on mulies and a cow elk. The Nos PTs shot okay, but the noses deformed under recoil. The 210 TSXs shot great, but I thought they were a little "hard" for the mulies on the menu.

I wanted to try the tipped Accubond to see if I could help the feeding issue and have a "better" mulie bullet. I looked for the 225gr Accubonds but they were a no show, so I tried the 200gr Accubond in my Lapua. These shot very well and the tipped design let me feed from the mag on my 2nd and 3rd shot at the range.

On my first day of hunting the elk were a no show but I got on a decent 3x3 meat buck. I messed up my shot, and instead of a heart/lung shot I put it right through bucks shoulders. DRT of course but I thought of lost meat. When skinning I really couldn't believe the lack of bloodshot meat. My buds deers shot with their 7mm PTs fared worse.

A small sample to be sure, but the Accubond holds promise for me. Next year I'm going for a buck and bull tag, and will try out the 225 Accubonds.

I hunted Thanksgiving weekend, and although I didn't get my cow (I messed up a stalk for sure and was busted by the cows at 100 feet but that is another story) I got up a bedded very nice 6X6 bull elk and a monster 8X?? that was truely special. Good stuff.

John

There are those that do, those that dream, and those that only read about it and then post their "expertise" on AR!

Posts: 831 | Location: Mount Vernon, WA | Registered: 18 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
I just started using them about 3 years back and so far have taken two nice mulies, a bull elk, and a heavy 240lb whitetail with them. In that limited amount they have done outstanding for me with similar performance of a NPT.

I custom load for several guys that use them and they have probably taken 15 deer(whitetails and mulie), a pile of pork, and several varmints. Every report I've gotten has been great. I did help track a buck one of the guys shot with a 150 NAB I loaded for his 300WM. The impact was only about 60 yards and there was no blood. We found the buck about 75 yards from the impact and there was only blood about 10 yards from where he lay with a lung shot. The exit was only about nickle sized, but the internals were worked over well.

The animals I've taken with them including the elk were all DRTs.

Pretty good bullets, I like the accuracy and intend to use them quite a bit more. I hunting right now with the 140s in a 7RM on top of 69grns of H4831 lit by 215s in R+P brass. They shoot sub MOA in that set-up and hopefully I'll get another on game report with them this weekend if a volunteer shows Smiler

Have a good one,

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote