New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington Model 7 w/18.5" Barrel?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
A local gun dealer is closing their doors and they are closing out their merchandise. The only thing that really interested me was a Remington Model 7 in .260 w/a 18.5 " barrel. Is this barrel length really a big handicap? I thought about getting it to put up for my 2 girls, they are a few years away, (one daughter is 6 and the other turns 2 in March). I have a Remington Mtn. rifle in .257 Roberts, that will suit them fine but this one looks like it would be a good starter rifle as well. The price is good. I'm looking for some advice. Thanks.

C-ROY

Posts: 259 | Location: Carolina | Registered: 11 September 2001Reply With Quote
<Mike Dettorre>
posted
Figure you will lose about 33 fps for every inch of bbl. So from 22 inch bbl velocities 116 fps.

------------------
MED

The sole purpose of a rifle is to please its owner

<Eagle Eye>
posted
The 18.5" barrel tends to jump a bit more than a 20" does, but the 260 REM isn't a big kicker. I'd grab it if the price is very low.

one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
I shoot a .308 Win with a 19" barrel, and all the animals I have shot with it are suitably impressed.

I would buy a .260/18.5" barrel...jim dodd

------------------
"if you are to busy to
hunt, you are too busy."

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cwilson
posted Hide Post
I have a Ruger 77 compact .308 win. with a 16 1/2" barrel length. Accuracy is about 2MOA with the only factory load that I have tried. I think that accuracy will be improved upon with handloads. But the rifle is a pleasure to carry through thick brush, and it is plenty accurate for the average 50 to 80 yard shot in the area which I hunt. The gun is not a joy to shoot from the bench, the barrel jumps about 6". But the .260 would not be as wild, and the 18" barrel would also tame the perceived recoil. If the price is right, buy it. At least you have an excuse for the rifle...its for the kids. My 5 year old already has more guns than I did when I was 25....maybe he will even get to shoot them someday..

cwilson

Posts: 713 | Location: Boswell, PA, USA | Registered: 20 December 2001Reply With Quote
<Eric Leonard>
posted
i have a 7 in 6mm rem with a 18.5 inch bbl that i got in 89.it shoots the 87 hornady with 50 grs RL19 at 3025 fps in less than an inch.
my 700VLS with the same load in a 26 incher goes 3375 with .400 groups.

------------------
SPEED KILLS

<ovis>
posted
C-ROY,

I purchased one in .260 a few months ago and it's a nice ride. Burris glass and factory rounds shoot MOA. I have't started handloading for it but with handloads and the decent out of the box trigger pull it will be a fun gun to shoot. Buy it!!!!!!

<leo>
posted
C-Roy, it will be very loud with that short barrel and that very light gun will kick a bunch for a little girl.The sevens now come with a 20" barrel. I believe your girls will be better off with the .257 roberts mtn. rifle. If the gun is cheap enough, you can buy it and install a longer barrel. That short lenglth of pull is very handy.

one of us
posted Hide Post
C-Roy
My experience with the # 7 is limited to a 20" 243 win.
Though its a nice gun, it�s a bit flimsy and "ubalanced" with that short barrel when shooting offhand.
It�s been my roe deer rifle for some years, but when hunting in dusk and dawn conditions, the mussle flash is formidable.
I have some mixed feelings about such short barrels, and will eventually trade my # 7 for a 35 Whelen, but thats another story.
I belive there are better guns for beginners than the #7 , my two cents.

Regards Arild

Posts: 1877 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote