Find
Notify
Tools

Elk is Back in the Menu
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I got my Cow elk back today.
162 pounds of meat. She weighed 300 pounds gutted with the hide off.

Very impressed with her size. I did not think she would go that big.

Posts: 11032 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent eating for sure. Wifey and I are eating on the bull I shot in the fall of 2020.

Keep yer powder dry and yer knife sharp.

Posts: 582 | Location: Texas City, TX. USA. | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just did strip steaks, rare crusted in fresh grounded black pepper, sea salt with a Cognac, cream sauce from the pan drippings.

Posts: 11032 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
I just did strip steaks, rare crusted in fresh grounded black pepper, sea salt with a Cognac, cream sauce from the pan drippings.

YUM YUM Smiler

Posts: 19399 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Elk is excellent fare without a doubt.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36714 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
I was reading your report of success and menu and sudden realized I was salivating.

WELL DONE . . . all round!

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4232 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
Do you mind sharing how you had that divided up? 162lbs of meat is a lot! How do you plan to use it? Ground for burgers, meatloaf, etc.? Did you do any sausage or the like?

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is the first year that I can remember with no elk, F&G screwed up my honey hole for a cow..I quit shooting bulls when I ran out of any place to hang horns. prior to that we ate a lot old stinking damn rutten bulls that tasted Ok but smelled like piss when cooking!! thumbdown but shot only cows the last number of years except for one monster bull, He was too big to pass up, Ive never measured him but a friend measured the horns at 183 or 189, can't remember which.

Steak and burger, most add 10 to 20 % beef fat to the burger, but I have an old heart, so passed on that the last 4 years..Elk makes great jerky smoked and great sausage..

Always get a deer or two or more, all steak trimmed of all fat and senue..

Eating more beef, chicken and lamb as I have to butcher and wrap my own deer and elk these days as none of the processing plants do deer anymore as beef processing is months behind locally

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41894 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote