Find
Notify
Tools

30 point buck - Amish bow hunter????
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted
Has anybody else received a viral email of a recently taken monster whitetail, supposedly taken in Wisconsin by a teenage Amish boy with a bow??? I've done some googles and haven't quite confirmed one way or another. Is this old news, urban legend, real deal, or ?????

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 132 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted Hide Post
quote:
by a teenage Amish boy

The Amish Lucky Buck, taken taken by Amish hunter Jonathon Schmucker in Adams County, Ohio with a crossbow in 2006.

When his Uncle Hezekiah cut the antlers up they made enough buttons to last the community for a year.

To keep a set of antlers like that would be prideful, and therefore a sin. shame

one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
The email I received indicated it was taken in Wisconsin by a teenage Amish boy (12? 14? ) November 2008 with a home-made long bow. Showed photos of an older neighbor with the buck.

And yes, this buck in the horse drawn buggy was it.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The link I posted was from 2006. I don't think the email you received contained the real story.

Posts: 132 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
I've seen a couple different version of the story, and while I don't know which, if either, is accurate, the fact remains that this is a tremendous buck and as impressive a specimen as one will likely ever see.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9395 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
When his Uncle Hezekiah cut the antlers up they made enough buttons to last the community for a year.

Erm? I thought those were the folk that didn't wear buttons as they thought them militaristic? Or is that another lot of folk?

Posts: 6819 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by enfieldspares:
quote:

Erm? I thought those were the folk that didn't wear buttons as they thought them militaristic? Or is that another lot of folk?

I dunno about the wearing buttons thing but if he cut up those antlers for any reason he should be hung up by the balls until dead. Mad
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Matt,

I got the same e-mail and the buck was outstanding. I thought the hunters name was a litte suspicious though. Willie Flacid!!! Hmmmm!

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12989 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
I've surfed the 'net a bit and found some different stories; that it was from Ohio or Wisconsin and that the youth was 12 and/or 14. The 'home made' long bow seems a bit suspect to me too. We have a lot of Amish in north-central Michigan (around Clare) and I've seen them several times in Jay's Sporting Goods buying all manner of 'modern' hunting stuff including carbon/fiber arrows.

No doubt it's a great buck, but I sure would like to get some facts from a source other than Billy-Bob blogs and such.

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
So it was in Ohio (not Wisconsin), taken with a scoped crossbow, (not a handmade long bow), and taken by an adult (not a 12/14 year old Amish boy).

I get the idea the guy isn't even Amish, seeing how he called people to come assist in the tracking (via cellphone?). Do the Amish folks even use cellphones?

Thank you for getting a link to a more credible source. It just amazes me how much (and how easily) distorted information is taken as gospel via viral emails.

All that said it is a fantastic buck.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i can help here, i work with a lot of amish.

yes, they use cell phones. i know, it seems odd but apparently they are free to use anything battery powered in this area.

they do NOT wear buttons, but pin everything they can.

the kids are allowed to live as "English" (us) people do, from age 16 to 21, if they wish. this gives them the chance to try out the world and decide if the Amish church is the right choice. if not they leave and stay gone. kinda sad.

they do hunt a great deal and they pay few taxes and do everything in cash, so they have tons of money and buy the best gear available.

-Matt

Posts: 285 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 12 February 2006Reply With Quote