THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Two seperate Grizzy attacks in Yellowstone

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Two seperate Grizzy attacks in Yellowstone
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
A group of hikers attacked with four injured they deployed spray and drove the bear away but only after some of the hikers were injured.

The other incident a body of a lone hiker was found partially eaten. Authorities believe he was attack by a grizzly killed dragged away partially eaten and buried.

No mention of spray or a firearm mentioned.

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
They captured a female grizzly and killed her after DNA tests confirmed she was the bear that killed Lance Crosby.

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1219 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IMHO it would been better if Mr. Crosby would have killed the bear himself.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I could not agree more. Park rangers carry their weapons concealed so as not to offend the public with the display of firearms and to prove they are not needed. The politically correct politicians have no skin in that game. They should have proven their belief and conviction by hiking the same trail armed with PepperSpray only. Any one who thinks politicans have your best interest at heart are fools. Pepper spray does work BUT not 100% of the time. You better have an alternative and nothing does better than firearms as a last resort. All park policies against firearms needs to be abolished. All citizens should have the right to protect themselves from imminent threat no matter what that may be. What a horrific waste of life.
My condolences to the Lance Cosby family.

Posts: 1018 | Location: Brooksville, FL. | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't see why the bear had to be killed - it was just being a bear and well-known carnivore.

If you go to Yellowstone and hike, you must know - and accept - that there is a risk of being attacked and possibly killed by a bear.

If you climb mountains, the climbers accept that there is a risk of falling and dying.

What's the difference? - I guess you can't kill the mountain for killing the climber.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Everyone going on a hike in a wilderness or semi-wilderness area should have the right to carry a sidearm. If everyone did, then no one would take offence!

In Canada we have a nanny state!

See my recent blogs on these issues.

Tacit approval and encouragement by authorities for hiking in parks and wilderness areas should also grant tacit approval for the best means of self protection!

Unfortunately, it's often the "tree huggers" and "Teddy Bear" crowd who say they love nature as it is! Nature as it is means bears kill people who are unprepared both mentally and physically for an attack!

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

"Let every created thing give praise to the LORD, for he issued his command, and they came into being" - King David, Psalm 148 (NLT)

Posts: 848 | Location: Kawartha Lakes, ONT, Canada | Registered: 21 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Thats what happens when you bring a Twinky to a gun fight.

Note that in all three states encompassing Yellowstone open carry of handguns and rifles is allowed as is open carry in vehicles.

quote:
Firearms in Parks from Laws and Policies in Yellowstone National Park

As of February 22, 2010, a new federal law allows people who can legally possess firearms under applicable federal, state, and local laws, to legally possess firearms in this park.

The Credit Card Accountability Responsibility and Disclosure Act of 2009, was enacted May 22, 2009 and will become effective February 22, 2010. Section 512 of this law; Protecting Americans from Violent Crimes, supersedes the uniform treatment of firearm possession in the national park system outside Alaska under the regulations found at 36 C.F.R. 2.4.

It is the responsibility of visitors to understand and comply with all applicable state, local, and federal firearms laws before entering this park. Yellowstone encompasses parts of Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho. Each state has different regulations and these are listed below.

Federal law also prohibits firearms in certain facilities in this park (such as visitor centers, government offices, etc.); those places are marked with signs at all public entrances. Hunting and discharge of firearms remain prohibited in Yellowstone National Park.

Firearms should not be considered a wildlife protection strategy. Bear spray and other safety precautions are the proven methods for preventing bear and other wildlife interactions.

Wyoming

Open Carry Allowed
Handgun = Yes
Rifle = Yes
In Vehicle = Yes
Age Requirement = None

Concealed Carry Allowed - Permit Required for Non-Residents
Person = Yes
Vehicle = Yes
State Reciprocity = 23 states
Age Requirement = 21 years of age

Links to Wyoming State Firearms Information

Concealed Weapons
State Reciprocity
Relevant Wyoming Firearm Statutes
Montana

Open Carry Allowed
Handgun = Yes
Rifle = Yes
In Vehicle = Yes
Age Requirement = 14

Concealed Carry Allowed - Permit Required
Person = Yes
Vehicle = Yes
State Reciprocity = 40 States
Age Requirement = 18

Links to Montana State Firearms Information

Concealed Weapons
State Reciprocity
Montana Firearm Statutes
Idaho

Open Carry
Handgun = Yes
Rifle = Yes
In Vehicle = Yes
Age Requirement = 18

Concealed Carry Allowed - Permit Required
Person = Yes
Vehicle = Yes
State Reciprocity = 46 States

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ackley Improved User:
I don't see why the bear had to be killed - it was just being a bear and well-known carnivore.

If you go to Yellowstone and hike, you must know - and accept - that there is a risk of being attacked and possibly killed by a bear.

If you climb mountains, the climbers accept that there is a risk of falling and dying.

What's the difference? - I guess you can't kill the mountain for killing the climber.
Yellowstone is more than just a bear observation area and nice place to see the geysers. Yellowstone is all of 2,219,789 acres (3,468 square miles) in area, larger than the states of Rhode Island or Delaware.

"If you climb mountains, the climbers accept that there is a risk of falling and dying." Okay, but he still uses safety procedures and equipment like belays to arrest a fall, friends (attachments) to secure himself along the way and minimize a fall, he caries survival gear to prepare for an unplanned stay, and he wears a helmet to protect him from falling rocks. If he were climbing in Yellowstone it would stand to reason that he should use additional safety precautions appropriate for the environment, including protection from bears.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
Question to the media,
If a unnamed bear is killed in a US National Park for killing and eating a human does anyone care?

So, why do we still hear about a lion who was given a name instead of just a research number, in a foreign country, outside of a park, whom practically nobody on earth had heard of before.

Is it just me or is there a huge WTF factor here.

It is tragic that Lance Crosby died without a hint of self defense against the bear. It's even more tragic that our media values the story of a dead lion in a foreign country over a dead human in our own country.

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1219 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Just an observation, nothing more. Incidents like this and the repercussions from them are not black and white.

For one, probably not all information concerning the incident has been made public. For another allowing people in Yellowstone to "Defend" themselves against a bear or any other animal "Attack" would open up a whole bigger can of worms, simply because individual definitions of what is and isn't an "attack" can not be described/quantified in a hand out pamphlet.

As far as the bear being killed in the case of the hiker that was partially eaten. I have not seen anything stating whether the bear actually killed the man or whether the man may have had a heart attack or other medical condition that caused his death and the bear just happened to come across the body, liked the smell and began feeding.

As with the big cats that became Man Eaters, a bear could easily develop a taste for human flesh.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Autopsy claimed bear killed him and I
suspect he panicked and tried to fight the bear instead of playing dead.
Summer-time help in the park and probably got slack about his "evening walk" and failed to carry at least bear spray.
2 yrs ago Yellowstone allowed a bear involved in a fatal attack a pass because the actions of the victim caused the attack. (tried to run)
A month later the same bear killed and fed upon a 2nd man.
As a side note, In Glacier a man kills charging Griz with a legal handgun.
Charged by the Park Service in an obvious case of self defense for killing an "Endangered Species" and discharging a firearm in a National Park.
Judge disagreed with the Park Service and dismissed all charges. So setting somewhat of a precedence I would think.
YNP backcountry I pack heat AND bear spray.

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yesterday I read that the cubs, both female, are going to end up at the Toledo zoo. They think both cubs also consumed some of the body.

It is kind of crazy to blame the bear. It is kind of like blaming a bison that stops on a tourist trying to take a selfie with the animal in the background. Too many people don't want to take responsibility for their own actions and they act like life is zero risk.

We are all going to die. If you do stupid things you may die sooner than later.

Tom

Posts: 341 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 21 November 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The sow was killed the cubs go to the zoo.

Who said it was the mans fault. bears do what bears do.

There's not a bear alive today that's has been around before man.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Encrochment is the problem, we have envaded the bears domain..I would never put myself in a position to have to use a spray can or play dead for a bear..

Hikers would do well to watch the movie in the park and stay in their cars to game watch and do their hikeing where bears do not exist..Most of Idaho, Colorado, and Wyoming have wonderful hiking areas without preditor problems. Bison also take a toll on park visitors..

Then we have California where Mt. Lions, bears, have been desensitized to people and Californians kids, cats, and dogs have become part of the food chain from a lack of respect of humans due to their no hunting laws..In areas that are hunted and game is managed their are way fewer conflicts.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41986 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Citizens are now allowed by law to carry firearms in National Parks and Monuments. The change in the statute was to provide a way for self defense in case somebody went postal in one of the public areas, like the view points for Old Faithful or some picnic area, or in case there's an ax murderer loose in Madison Junction campground. Nobody has yet challenged the self defense motive in stopping a bear attack in the back country. The law is more than vague about the legality of carrying a firearm along on a backpack trip. The NPS absolutely doesn't want to broach the subject. I always carry a revolver as well as pepper spray in the back country of Yellowstone. I certainly don't want to be the test case for shooting one of the damn bears, but I'll take my chances after the smoke and/or the chili pepper clears the air.

Posts: 442 | Location: Montana territory | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A judge dismissed charges for a man who
shot and killed a Griz in Glacier NP last yr.
Some National parks its legal to carry but ALL of them have laws against discharging those same weapons.

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Some National parks its legal to carry but ALL of them have laws against discharging those same weapons

NPs are cover by the state law they are located in when it comes to carrying firearms.

One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
I wonder if the attack's are account of the Wolves eating everything in Yellowstone?

Posts: 2330 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I am hiking ANYWHERE and think it is prudent to carry a rifle or pistol, I will do so. If I don't want to carry a firearm, I'll carry bear spray. More than anything else, I'll be aware of my surroundings. It's worked so far. Regards, Bill

Posts: 3577 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mlfguns:
I could not agree more. Park rangers carry their weapons concealed so as not to offend the public with the display of firearms and to prove they are not needed. The politically correct politicians have no skin in that game. They should have proven their belief and conviction by hiking the same trail armed with PepperSpray only. Any one who thinks politicans have your best interest at heart are fools. Pepper spray does work BUT not 100% of the time. You better have an alternative and nothing does better than firearms as a last resort. All park policies against firearms needs to be abolished. All citizens should have the right to protect themselves from imminent threat no matter what that may be. What a horrific waste of life.
My condolences to the Lance Cosby family.

I can assure you in Grand Canyon National Park they carry them on their hip in full view, along with the taser.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7575 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Park rangers carry their weapons concealed so as not to offend the public with the display of firearms and to prove they are not needed

Not the ones I have seen and worked with.

If you can't see a gun they are most likely not sworn law enforcement types.

One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
The law enforcement rangers in Yellowstone and Glacier wear a full duty rig like every other peace officer in the country. What you may be seeing are the unarmed (non sworn) rangers that just do all the busy work around the campgrounds and visitor centers.

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When it comes down to the nut cutt'en, I'll have my 44 magnum on me, (no spray, that's for skeeters) in any bear country and I choose to be tried by 12 than carried by 6!

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41986 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of don444
posted Hide Post
tu2 tu2

Posts: 551 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 27 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
I say we find out where the hikers live and go protest at their work(s) for spraying pepper spray in the face of beloved Yellowstone icon. These bears have names and families - how will they provide for their kin if they have pepper spray in their face or are killed. We should send the Red Cross to help these bears!

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll be hiking in Glacier Park in September with my girlfriend....carrying my .45/70 with an Ashley ghost ring peep and stoked with Garrett Hammerheads.

Phil

Life Member- NRA & SCI

Posts: 228 | Location: Albany, NY | Registered: 24 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PhilR:
I'll be hiking in Glacier Park in September with my girlfriend....carrying my .45/70 with an Ashley ghost ring peep and stoked with Garrett Hammerheads.

Phil

My son carried his 5.5 inch Red hawk this there this summer and only got a couple of strange looks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My S&W Mod. 629, .44 Mag would be more discreet, but I have more confidence in hitting the target, if necessary, with my Marlin lever gun. I hope that the "tourists" will not be too disapproving.

Phil

Life Member- NRA & SCI

Posts: 228 | Location: Albany, NY | Registered: 24 December 2007Reply With Quote