New
Find
Notify
Tools

35x55 9.3x55
 Login/Join

<Robin>
posted
A topic I posted in the small bore room got me to thinking about larger caliber cartridges. Has anyone heard of or used a 35x55 or 9.3x55? Were either of these ever produced or would they be wildcats?

------------------
Robin
from Tucson, AZ

<Mike Dettorre>
posted
I looked at this and it really doeen't make sense. In general 55mm case with bullet will require greater than 2.8 mag length so now you are into a long/standard action. Which means you might as well use the 8x57 case which has been necked up and down to everything as well as the 06 case.

------------------
MED

The sole purpose of a rifle is to please its owner

[This message has been edited by Mike Dettorre (edited 01-12-2002).]

<OttoDude>
posted
I haven't heard of these two calibers before, but my guess is that they are Swedish wildcats. The reason for their existence would be the easy availability of the parent case and suitable actions in Sweden. In the US 35Whelen and 9.3X62 would be more practical propositions, unless you just happen to have a lot of 6.5x55 brass laying around

Regards,

Otto P.

<leo>
posted
The 6.5x55 is well known for being a fine match quality target round so that accuracy may also transfer to it's wildcats of larger caliber. I kinda like the ideal of a cartridge that doesn't take up the full lenglth of the magazine box as that would eliminate alot of deformed noses on bullets that result from recoil. These are probably wildcats even in Sweden but if you can load for a wildcat and these catch your fancy then go for it. I believe the 6.5x55 case will hold a tad bit more powder than the .308 case so you are looking at pretty solid cartridges that will do at least as well as the .358 winnie in a strong bolt-action. You could consider an 8x55 which would be flatter shooting yet. That 200 grain nosler partition and 180 grain nosler ballistic-tip would make this a pretty good all-around choice.

<Kimmo E>
posted
Never heard of a 9,3*55 but 9,3*57 are a good moose cal. for short distance. You can build 9,3*57 on the swedish mauser, often scoutrifles.

Kimmo

one of us
posted Hide Post
Your smartest move would be the 9.3x62 argueably the finest all around caliber in the world.

The 55 or 57mm case just does not have the powder capacity to get all you can get out of that case/bullet combo that will work through that action without modification. The 9.3x62 does get all you can get out of that action, so why not take advantage of it.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41892 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In Ackley's books there are some wildcats based on an improved 6.5 x 55 case, Arch is the name given, I think?! - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 9,3 x 55 is described in the fine and justly famous Vapenjournalens Ladebok (3rd ed. 1995) on p. 361 s. as "Egentlig er ikke dette en eksisterende villkatt, men mer en hypotetisk patron." I would not be too surprised if in the meantime, some enterprising Norvegian and Swedish wildcatters (oh these long depressive midsummer nights ;-> ) had taken up the challenge (people who concoct a 8mm Storholt can't be trusted anyhow... hehe).

After all, I own a 8 x 54 Krag-Jorgensen (8mm Svensk omborrad Mauser), built on a M 1938 military Husqvarna action. Damn accurate, I must say - I was amazed.

Regards,
Carcano

Posts: 2452 | Location: Old Europe | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote
<Kimmo E>
posted
8*57,(9*57),9,3*57 is already common factory loaded(not 9*57) cart. You can get a old rifle in this calibers for 25-50$, why bother with a wildcat with no improvements?

one of us
Picture of BER007
posted Hide Post
Robin,

You can see link below

http://www.olntv.com/fsart_1107.cfm

In summary, there is 3 kinds of 9.3.

The first one "small" 9.3X57 like .358 Winchester

The second one "medium" 9.3X62 and 9.3X74R similar velocity but different working pressure

The third one "large" 9.3X64 like .375 H&H

With this choice you have the possibility to find the most useful 9.3 according to you.

------------------
BER007
Keep the faith in any circumstances
------------------------
BBER007@HOTMAIL.COM

Posts: 831 | Location: BELGIUM | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote