Find
Notify
Tools

Why the 308 wcf ROCKS!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted
Hmm, lets see, where to start.. How about, the 1000 yd benchrest king for starters!! No other cartridge has as many powders specifically made for it. Enough power to dispatch any animal in the lower 48. Did I mention its inherint accuracy?
Makes a fine lightweight rifle. Brass and practice ammo are cheap. No other caliber has as good of a bullet variety as the .30. And its SEXY!!!

Sorry, couldnt help myself. I guess this is my "Im bored" thread..

Seriously though. With the development of better bullets, I believe that the chamberings that require a tougher bullet are not the only ones that benefit from further technology. Lesser ones like my beloved 308 also gain an edge from better ballistics with the interbond variety of bullets, and better penetration with the partition and monolithic variety at distances that a lesser bullet would make it inadequate. That may be splitting hairs to some extent, but it seems like the added gains that standard case can get from modern bullet technology is often overlooked.

Posts: 10155 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i'll agree with ya, wst~~

somewhere on here, i wrote a similar manifesto re: the .308 as a hunting rifle......

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
SEXY? You are "bored" (BTW, I think the 6.5 has been 1000yd king for awhile, not sure, but have seen alot of talk about 6.5s winning 1000yd lately).

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
The 308 is a lot of cartridge in many ways, very versatile and effective beyond the paper statistics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You said it all. I love mine.
30-30 Man

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think that 308's are a Disease...........

I currently own 10 of them.... ......DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
YEAUP! A .308 is just barely better than a .30-30! And my .30-30 is way nicer to shoot. I have a Model 600 thats good for beating around in the jeep or saddle scabard and thats about it.

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The .308 rocks on shooting ranges,in practising
The 30-06 rocks in the pinetree forests and .375 is an real ""stressbracker"",it relacses both the critter and shooter,different ways offcourse..

Elias

Posts: 45 | Location: Finland | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Quote:

And its SEXY!!!

If you think the 308 is sexy....I hate to see what your taste in women is like!

Posts: 3863 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote