Find
Notify
Tools

My "Crown of Thorns" Axis buck...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted
Well guys, I was blessed to be able to take the Axis buck of a lifetime yesterday. I was hunting with my good friend Curtis Schramm at his ranch near Gonzales, TX.

I started the hunt Thursday afternoon, and got to look at a number of great Axis bucks....but one buck in particular caught my eye. I got a glimpse of an especially tall buck from about 300 yards away on the first evening, and thought he had 8 points (which I was excited about). I spent the next several days trying to kill him, and came up empty handed....until the VERY LAST MINUTE!!

Saturday evening and Sunday morning were uneventful, with no Axis being spotted....and not much activity out of the other animals either. Sunday evening, Curtis and I set up to watch over his front field and a sendero. No bucks worthy of shooting came out, and I had pretty much accepted the fact that I was going home empty handed on this trip. With about 5-10 minutes of shooting light left, I suggested we take a quick spin around the ranch....hoping for a miracle....and that is exactly what happened.

We came out of a thick wooded area, and crossed a wide sendero.....I thought I saw an Axis rack sticking out of the grass around 80 yards off the road. I told Curtis to stop!! One look through the binoculars and I verified it was a good Axis buck. At this point, I was willing to take any decent buck over 30"....so I didn't need to look at him long. I jumped out, chambered a round, threw down the legs of my bipod....and took aim. The buck stood up and was quartering to me, but the grass was very tall, and I couldn't make out the buck's shoulder. Curtis gave me the "OK" to shoot, and I put the cross hairs on the bottom of the white patch on the buck's throat. I squeezed the trigger and the buck dropped like a sack of potatoes.

When Curtis and I walked up to this buck, neither of us had any idea what exactly we were dealing with....until we got closer. We were literally awe struck. With the poor lighting, I thought I had shot a buck in the 30"-32" range....but this buck was MUCH bigger than that. And he had a little something "extra"....as in 5 EXTRA POINTS!! I've nicknamed this buck the "Crown of Thorns" buck, due to the very unique configuration of points around his brow tines and lower beams. This 11 point monster is the largest Axis buck ever taken on Curtis' ranch, with beams measuring 36.5" x 35" and excellent tine length all-around. I realized this was the same buck I had seen the first evening....he is easily recognizable due to the unique shape of his brow tines, which stick out horizontally. Even more amazing, is the fact that no one had ever seen this buck before....not even Curtis!!

To say I am pleased with this buck would be the understatement of the century.....I may hunt Axis for the rest of my life and never top this deer. He is truly a monster, and the trophy of a lifetime!! Thank you Curtis for the opportunity to take numerous animals at your ranch, but especially this Axis. I will always be grateful!!

Here are the photos....I hope you all enjoy them.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3106 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fine lookin' animal there Wade.
Glad you were able to connect. Its always fun when there's no ground shrinkage. Will you be doing a shoulder mount?.
I sure love the capes. And yes you could hunt a long time before you took another one longer beams. Chances are you'll never see another with that kind of character on his antlers.
Good on ya'

Best

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
HE IS A STUD!! tu2
Way to keep after it, Damn sure paid off. WoW

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very Nice.

What rifle and bullet did you use?

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
Very Nice.

What rifle and bullet did you use?

I used my Browning A-Bolt chambered in .300 WSM....using 180 gr. Winchester XP3 ammo.

Posts: 3106 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brian Clark
posted Hide Post
great looking axis Wade.

Thanks!

Brian Clark

Blue Skies Hunting Adventures
www.blueskieshunting.com
Email at: info@blueskieshunting.com

African Cape Trophy Safaris
www.africancapesafaris.com
Email at: brian@africancapesafaris.com

1-402-689-2024

Posts: 1013 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 30 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
A dandy for sure! I'm gonna need to add one of these to the trophy room in the future!

Beauty of a buck!

Congrats!!!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the kind words fellas...

One of Us
Picture of Jack D Bold
posted Hide Post
Very fine trophy - the last minute buck makes it all the more memorable.

"You only gotta do one thing well to make it in this world" - J Joplin

Posts: 1129 | Registered: 10 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats.There is all kinds of kewl stuff coming out of that rack!!!! Big Grin

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow, that's a really amazing animal, congratulations!

Orvar

Posts: 1490 | Location: New York | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I'm sure money is tight Wade but that one is worth a FBM. Love his coat too, gorgeous animal and what a great trophy! Oh and steaks too!

~Ann

Posts: 19186 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Outstanding Axis. Your'e gonna hunt long an' hard to better that one!

Posts: 41797 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, really great buck with lots of character in that rack. tu2 beer

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
All I can add is "WOW!"

That buck is exceptional...congrats!!!

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9358 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Wade,

That is one of the nicest Axis bucks I have seen.

Congrats,

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bob + 1. Very nice buck.

The Hunt goes on forever, the season never ends.

I didn't learn this by reading about it or seeing it on TV. I learned it by doing it.

Posts: 729 | Location: Central TX | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
Impressive!!!

Posts: 2329 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What an awesome axis! Congratulations Wade.

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
Felicidades, Wade. That is the nicest axis I have ever seen. How old do you estimate him? My wife shot an axis last year with similar (but much smaller) characteristics. It had a lot of mass with several kickers around the bases. He was an old axis that probably wouldn't have survived the winter. He didn't have any front teeth in the top or bottom of his mouth.

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
they never have front teeth on top

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
VERY nice, Wade! Congratulations! beer

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of starchild69
posted Hide Post
Magnificent!!!!!!

Posts: 26 | Location: East Gippsland,STH EAST AUSTRALIA | Registered: 14 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted Hide Post
Damn Wade! That is an awesome Axis. Fallow and Axis are on my list to hunt someday.

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Jaws!

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2988 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
That is a fantastic chital trophy - even by indian standards! I hope you do justice to his wonderful coat with the black band!

congratulations.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11016 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote