THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Influencers Josh & Sarah Bowmar Plead Guilty in Nebraska Poaching Case

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Influencers Josh & Sarah Bowmar Plead Guilty in Nebraska Poaching Case
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
https://gearjunkie.com/outdoor...braska-poaching-case

Influencers Josh & Sarah Bowmar Plead Guilty in Nebraska Poaching Case

October 20, 2022 | By Rachelle Schrute

After a years-long stagnation, social media influencers and alleged poachers Josh and Sarah Bowmar have changed their plea to guilty and been given a sentencing date.

Josh and Sarah Bowmar, collectively known as Bowmar Hunting, LLC, were charged in 2020 with a laundry list of crimes.

These included hunting turkeys without a valid permit, illegally transporting game across state lines, and illegal baiting of wildlife, among others. The charges stemmed from the largest poaching sting operation in Nebraska state history.

The Bowmars withdrew their pleas of “not guilty” on Wednesday. The defendants plead “guilty” to Count 1 of the charges. This comes with a plea agreement to have Counts 2-5 dropped.

Sentencing will take place at 10:00 a.m. on Jan. 12, 2023.

Bowmar Hunting Influence Cast Long Shadow

The Bowmar poaching case captured the national spotlight because they have amassed such a large following in the hunting and fitness communities. On Instagram alone, Bowmar Bowhunting, Sarah Bowmar, and Josh Bowmar collectively have over 1.5 million followers. They also have a large following on YouTube.

The duo started several offshoot companies and products in the hunting and nutrition market. Bowmar Nutrition, the couple’s supplement company, has also been fraught with legal woes centered around the inflation of the nutritional value of its products. And several outlandish acts, including spearing a bear in Canada, have resulted in the loss of many outside sponsors.

Below, you can read the court documents for this most recent court appearance:

4E373E3F-D42F-428C-9626-1B53111C945F

The following court entry was entered and located via PACER. We will update this story with any further information as it is available.

TEXT MINUTE ENTRY for proceedings held on 10/19/2022 before Magistrate Judge Michael D. Nelson as to defendants Josh Bowmar, Sarah Bowmar, Bowmar Bowhunting, LLC.

Change of Plea Hearing held on 10/19/2022.

Change of Plea Hearings held.

Defendants previously consented to change of plea and sentencing before Magistrate Judge Nelson.

Defendants withdraw pleas of not guilty as to Count I of the Information.

Defendants plead guilty as to Count I of the Information.

Plea agreement will be accepted at or before sentencing as to each defendant.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9383 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rh-2J4wIC1Y

Video concerning court proceedings.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

one of us
posted Hide Post
When there is so called fame and fortune to be had .

People are very willing to break the law.

Posts: 19399 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Fuck them! I hate that the plea bargain ended with 4 of the 5 charges dropped. Typical DA lazy bullshit.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13183 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
https://gearjunkie.com/news/jo...aching-case-sentence

Josh & Sarah Bowmar Sentenced to Probation, Fines, Restitution

January 12, 2023 | By Sam Anderson

The social media influencers lost hunting privileges in Nebraska and received monetary penalties after pleading guilty last October to conspiracy.

Josh and Sarah Bowmar, the bowhunting influencers who first landed in court in 2020, have received 3 years of probation along with tens of thousands of dollars in fines and restitution.

The two heard their sentence in the United States District Court of Nebraska today. According to a spokesperson for the court, the Bowmars lost their hunting privileges in the state during their probation. They will also jointly pay $13,000 in restitution and $25,000 each in fines. Their company, Bowmar Bowhunting, LLC, will also pay $25,000 in fines.

The sentence came after the most extensive poaching sting in the state’s history, which resulted in a slew of charges against multiple people.

Game officials originally leveled charges against the Ohio couple of hunting wild turkeys without a valid permit, illegally transporting game across state lines, illegal baiting of wildlife, and other crimes.

On Oct. 19, 2022, the Bowmars pled guilty to unlawfully, willfully, and knowingly conspiring with others to possess, transport, or sell wildlife in violation of the federal Lacey Act. They stated in court on behalf of themselves and their company, “I conspired to violate the Lacey Act and I should have known better.” The other charges were dropped.

Also in conjunction with the case, the co-owner and lead guide of the Bowmars’ Nebraska outfitter received a hefty sentence. Jacob Hueftle of Broken Bow, Nebraska’s Hidden Hills Outfitters received 30 months in federal prison, a 15-year ban from engaging in hunting/trapping and any other associated activities, and a $214,375 fine in 2020.

Prior to the Bowmars’ sentencing, the Nebraska Game and Parks Commission’s sting operation had resulted in over $625,000 in fines and 53 years of revoked hunting and fishing privileges. Ninety-seven animals were found taken illegally, as of Hueftle’s case.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
They'll probably just move to Kansas and keep it up.

~Ann

Posts: 19172 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am getting old. I do not know who any of these people are.

Glad I do not tie making a dollar to my hunting.

Posts: 11032 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can not comprehend the idea of an influencer. F’ing ridiculous.

Posts: 11999 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:

Agreed 100%

Posts: 2092 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Glad I'm not alone.

Liberalism is a mental disorder.

Posts: 250 | Location: US of A | Registered: 03 April 2020Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
When there is so called fame and fortune to be had .

People are very willing to break the law.

Exactly!

That is why so many so called trophy hunters are breaking laws to get into some stupid INNER CIRCLE!

And some hunting shows include some use Bimbo to sweeten the deal! clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67074 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had never heard of these idiots.

What is an "Influencer"? Do people really need attention on Social Media? I guess they
do and why, I have no idea.

It makes me wonder if people like this really enjoy hunting. I would suspect attention is what they crave the most....

Posts: 2642 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jason P:

What is an "Influencer"? Do people really need attention on Social Media? I guess they

It makes me wonder if people like this really enjoy hunting. I would suspect attention is what they crave the most....

Influencers are stupid idiots who are not capable of knowing how stupid they are.

They actually think they know what is better for you than yourself!

Influencers and activists are the human version of flies and mosquitoes of the insect world.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67074 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Come on Saeed.’ Tell us how you really feel. Don’t sugar coat it rotflmo

Posts: 11999 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Amen brother!

I don't know them nor do I want to! Influencer.... my ass!

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think this is the guy who used a spear on a bear in Canada. That created quite the stir.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:
Originally posted by Jason P:

Influencers are stupid idiots who are not capable of knowing how stupid they are.

They actually think they know what is better for you than yourself!

Influencers and activists are the human version of flies and mosquitoes of the insect world.

Now I understand rotflmo

Posts: 2642 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seeing his frankness on influencers, I'd love to hear Saeed's thoughts on the DEI/CRT insanity running rampant through academia and corporate America. I'm not sure we can stop it.....but if it came to civil war I'd be on the front line tomorrow.

Liberalism is a mental disorder.

Posts: 250 | Location: US of A | Registered: 03 April 2020Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
https://www.justice.gov/usao-n...d-conspiracy-violate

PRESS RELEASE

Bowmar Bowhunting LLC and Owners Josh and Sarah Bowmar Sentenced for Conspiracy to Violate the Lacey Act
Tuesday, January 17, 2023

For Immediate Release

U.S. Attorney's Office, District of Nebraska

United States Attorney Steven Russell announced that Josh T. Bowmar, 32, Sarah E. Bowmar, 33, and Bowmar Bowhunting LLC, all of Ankeny, Iowa, were sentenced on January 12, 2023 in federal court in Omaha, Nebraska, by United States Magistrate Judge Michael D. Nelson for Conspiracy to Violate the Lacey Act. The Lacey Act prohibits the trafficking in interstate commerce "tainted" (i.e., taken in violation of a law or regulation) wildlife, fish, or indigenous plants. Josh and Sarah Bowmar, and their corporate entity, Bowmar Bowhunting LLC, (collectively referred to as the Bowmars) were convicted after previously pleading guilty to Conspiring to Violate the Lacey Act and sentenced each to three years’ probation and 40 hours of community service each. Magistrate Judge Nelson ordered the Bowmars to pay a $75,000 fine ($25,000 each), a $44,000 money judgment in lieu of forfeiting certain property, and $13,000 restitution. As part of the probation terms, the Bowmars shall not hunt or engage in any activities associated with hunting within the District of Nebraska during the period of probation.

The investigation determined that beginning in September 2015, and continuing through November 2017, the Bowmars conducted approximately five hunts per year at Hidden Hills Outfitters (HHO), a commercial big game guiding and outfitting business, near Broken Bow, Nebraska. During the course of commercially guided hunting activity, the Bowmars conspired to transport wildlife, or parts thereof, from Nebraska to Ohio, when the Bowmars should have known that the wildlife was attempted to be taken, possessed, and transported contrary to Nebraska state law. The Bowmars, utilizing various internet and social media platforms including their Bowmar Bowhunting website, Instagram site, and YouTube channel, published and broadcasted hunting activities that occurred at HHO.

This sentencing hearing marks the completion of all foreseen prosecutions of numerous defendants related to violations committed by owners, guides, and clients of Hidden Hills Outfitters. Violations associated with 52 individuals have been resolved throughout this investigation. A total of 39 defendants have pleaded guilty and have been sentenced and ordered to pay a total of $759,732 in fines, restitution, and forfeiture, serve 30 months of incarceration, 47 years of probation, and 72 years of hunting and guiding restrictions for underlying violations related to at least 97 unlawfully-taken big game animals or wild turkey including deer taken within baited areas; deer, pronghorn, and wild turkeys taken with weapons or firearms prohibited during their respective hunting seasons; deer taken during closed season hours, from the road, or without a valid permit; and mule deer taken within the Mule Deer Conservation Area. An additional 13 individuals resolved their cases through administrative abandonment of various wildlife trophies originating from unlawful hunts at Hidden Hills Outfitters.

The operation was a joint investigation conducted by the United States Fish and Wildlife Service, Office of Law Enforcement and the Nebraska Game and Parks Commission, Law Enforcement Division.

Contact
Michael Norris - Criminal Chief (402) 661-3700

Updated January 19, 2023

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doesn’t the interstate compact effectively ban then from hunting in the US for this time frame, and it would seem (as a felony) to keep them out of Canada permanently.

They should likely not be able to import any CITES animal with a Lacy conviction… so it “should” put an end to their “influencer” status ( which essentially means they get money from whatever social media company for post views…)

When something like this happens, it’s usually a bad outfitter that causes it.

I have issues about going after folks who may well not know about the illegality of the acts. In this case, as someone doing it professionally, no issues. They have an obligation to know better.

Posts: 10682 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bull Sprig:
quote:

Glad I'm not alone.

Never made any sense to me, but then I've always watched fishing shows, starting with Virgil Ward.

Posts: 15886 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote