New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wyoming moose/bighorn
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Any recommendations for Wyoming outfitter for moose and/or bighorn sheep?

Posts: 414 | Location: nebraska | Registered: 30 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Tighten up your belt, get your ass in shape, learn and get out there
When you earn it on your own, you’ll enjoy it ten fold

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brent steffen:

Do you have a plan to obtain licenses for these two animals?

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boarkiller:

There is no better way to learn than by hiring a guide.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7575 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
quote:

Do you have a plan to obtain licenses for these two animals?

That was also the first thought that came to my mind since he better have a couple decades worth of PPs to draw a tag for those two species in Wyoming.

One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
I’d be interested in some outfitter ideas, as my son has 20 moose points and we both have 20 sheep points. Will probably draw the moose tag in 2020 or 2021; and the sheep tags just a year or two later.

Posts: 3877 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DLS:
I’d be interested in some outfitter ideas, as my son has 20 moose points and we both have 20 sheep points. Will probably draw the moose tag in 2020 or 2021; and the sheep tags just a year or two later.

Well with all that waiting you are a fool not to hire the best guide you can get. I did that when I drew a bugle season rifle permit in AZ. The first five bulls I shot were DIY, but honestly, I didn't get as much satisfaction from them as my guided hunts.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7575 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
quote:
Originally posted by boarkiller:

There is no better way to learn than by hiring a guide.

I'm with boarkiller on this...

My first mule deer and whitetail deer were on my own, as was all the others that I've shot in the 52 years since...

My first elk was on my own, as were the following 34...

My first and last bear were on my own.

All of my pronghorn antelope were on my own.

My first Shiras moose was on my own, as was my 2nd.

My first mountain goat was on my own.

My first bighorn ram was on my own, as was my 2nd and 3rd.

And my first caribou was on my own.

And yes, I've killed a lot of game on guided hunts, but my DIY ones just are a little more special.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1632 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lots of pontificating but no answers to the question.

Posts: 414 | Location: nebraska | Registered: 30 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Agree...he clearly asked for recommendations for an outfitter and we have a debate somehow on the virtues of an outfitter vs the satisfaction of doing it on your own lol...
Congrats on having 20 points!! I only have 8
Good luck in finding the best pre planned outfit possible

Posts: 931 | Location: Music City USA | Registered: 09 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He didn't answer Teds question, if he doesn't have a license it really doesn't matter

Posts: 91 | Location: Mishawaka, In. | Registered: 22 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SCHALL53:
He didn't answer Teds question, if he doesn't have a license it really doesn't matter

Of course it matters (now I may have led with the fact I had enough points to draw soon) and he did answer...
He said he and his son have 20 points and counting so unless they change the rules he will have a tag in the time frame he estimated depending on the unit and allocations

Posts: 931 | Location: Music City USA | Registered: 09 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
quote:

That's par for the course on the entire AR forum. Ask a legitimate question, get unsolicited opinions or lectured.

For moose: check out Bald Mountain Outfitters, one of many. A buddy of mine has a place near them, hears good things. No clue on big horn sheep.

Others: he may have points, he may not, may be asking for a friend, may be wanting to help an outfitter, ask questions, etc.. Who cares? Posting dribble/opinions is common and expected on AR, good for a few laughs.

Posts: 1067 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Poyntman:
quote:

Of course it matters (now I may have led with the fact I had enough points to draw soon) and he did answer...
He said he and his son have 20 points and counting so unless they change the rules he will have a tag in the time frame he estimated depending on the unit and allocations

Sorry.... I still don't see how many points or if the OP has a license

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I'm sorry I did not see the SECOND guys post of 20 points. The original post did not respond when asked.

Posts: 91 | Location: Mishawaka, In. | Registered: 22 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
quote:
quote:

Sorry.... I still don't see how many points or if the OP has a license

Correct, as the OP has made 2 posts without mentioning how many points he has and that would help to know when he expects to draw since the best outfitters for either of those species are usually booked at least a year or two ahead. DLS is the member that came on this thread and mentioned he and his boy have 20 points.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

You must have a guide to hunt Wyoming wilderness areas. I have always hunted BLM land on a DIY basis and can't offer much in the way of useful information other than to call a warden in the area you'd like to hunt. They have always been helpful in my experience.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14444 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You may want to call Larry Altima’s. He knows the sheep scene pretty well. And yes, I know about his mess in Utah.
Also, the Atcheson’s know that scene too.

Posts: 10273 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
John Porter at Morning creek outfitters has a great record on sheep. If you can draw area 5 there are some good rams in there. I haven't checked on pref points for the non resident draw but it may take a bit longer than what you want. Might draw area 3 sooner. I got a good one in area 3 6 yrs ago. Good luck.
Bruce

Posts: 376 | Location: Gillette, Wy USA | Registered: 11 May 2012Reply With Quote