Find
Notify
Tools

150gr TBBC in 300WM for whitetails?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of PATRIOT76
posted
What do you guys think of the trophy bonded near claw in 150gr out of 300 win mag for SE whitetails? should hold up well even at close ranges with well built design and should deliver great results...agree?

Posts: 442 | Location: usa | Registered: 24 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
I shot a whitetail doe at about 30 yards and blew her right shoulder off. I was using a 300 WM and 150 gr Nosler Partitions loaded to...hmmm..don't have my loading log but I think they were going around 3300 fps. I know it's not the same bullet, but the 300 will be really hard on meat at close range in my limited experience.

Good hunting,

Andy

-----------------------------
Thomas Jefferson: “To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
I'd pick a bigger bullet and slow it down. Those high speed little bullets from a 300 Mag zip right through and might mess up a cape on an animal you wish to take to a taxidermist.

A 165 Boat tail from Hornady is a nice bullet for the southern deer.

I use to use a 180 Btip from my 300 Mag on Alabama whitetails. Never had a problem.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
Picture of PATRIOT76
posted Hide Post
since i dont reload, what about fail safes in 165? i have heard they are not accurate and iu really am not excited about shooting moly bullets! whats the deal with that?

Posts: 442 | Location: usa | Registered: 24 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used to load a starting load in my .300WM and 150gr. Noslers. I've lost records but I believe it was 71-72gr IMR4831. Never chronographed this load but it was probably running around 3100fps. It was accurate in my rifle.

Another factory load you might try is the 165gr Nosler in a Federal Cart. ...about 3050fps published...Federal ammo
A friend has used the 165gr. Nosler in the .300HH for whitetail for years with good results.

Sendero300>>>===TerryP

Posts: 489 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 25 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of friarmeier
posted Hide Post
Patriot,

I don't shoot a 300 mag but a 270 win; I've had great accuracy in my gun with the Federal premium TBBC load (regular velocity). I must tell you though, those bullets just poke right through deer!

I've no doubt the bullet would hold together even on point blank range shots--but you might have a little difficulty getting good expansion at greater ranges; that's a tough bullet and whitetails don't offer much resistance to stop them Frowner

I'll be the first to tell you that I've only shot one animal with the 140 gr. TBBC. That was a typical doe at about 200 yards. Popped it just beneath the spine though both lungs and was a "bang-flop."

That bullet, though, only traversed about 6-8" of deer and did'nt leave a very big exit hole.

I think Doc has the right idea--unless you're shooting further than 400 yards, why not go with a somewhat softer but heavier bullet? By "softer," I mean a Partition with its frangible front end or an Accubond or Hornady Interbond.

I know the Nosler's are loaded by Federal in both 165 and 180 grain weights.

At any rate, good luck and have fun!

friar

Our liberties we prize, and our rights we will maintain.

Posts: 1222 | Location: A place once called heaven | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PATRIOT76:
since i dont reload, what about fail safes in 165? i have heard they are not accurate and iu really am not excited about shooting moly bullets! whats the deal with that?

You'll have to shoot them in your rifle and see. But having a few southern whitetails under my belt with a 300 Win, I still advise a soft bullet. You do not need anything fancy at all. Hornady factory ammo, Federal factory, or Winchester or Remington. Just use a soft lead bullet because the 300 Win is so powerful.

We had opportunities on our farm to shoot 400 yards or more every hunt, but most of our hunting was in the northern mountains around the Tennesee Valley. I was hunting Antler Association for years. We saw guys coming down the trails on their 4 wheelers complaining of having to track their deer over 100+ yards in the woods and couldn't understand why.

Maybe it's a coincidence, but they all shot 300's with 150 bullets because they thought it would Knock them down.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hornady factory loads with the 165 grain Interlock, SST, or Interbond work really well. They are very accurate in my rifle as well. I really think that the Interbonds are a little too tough for deer. The other bullets open up a bit more and do a better jod of tranferring energy. You'll get 3100-3200 fps out of most guns with them. If you really want a 150 grain load try the 150 gr Interbond.

If you handload try 79 grains of R22 with one of the bullets listed above, Win brass, Federal 215, COL 3.425". This is the max load in my rifle. I get aournd 3225 fps.

Posts: 428 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I once e-mailed a major manufacturer of one of the new "super bullets" and got an interesting response. I won't name the manufacturer cause I can't quite quote them word for word but this was the "theory" of the reply. I was trying to increase speed looking for a little more shocking power with my 300 wby. I wanted to drop down to a 165 bullet from a 180/200. They basically said that even though everyone thinks their super bullet is designed to work at impact speeds of 3000-3500 fps that IS NOT THE INTENT. To get the best consistant performance they want impact speeds to be 3000 and under. So the 130to 150 bullet is designed for .308, the 165 is probably a better match for the '06. and the 180's/200 are a better match for magnums. If you play with a ballistic program you'll usually find little trajectory difference between light fast bullets and heavier (higher ballistic coefficient bullets) at slower speeds. I knew all that before I e-mailed them but it got me thinking.....even the super bullets will be less likely to perform right at high speed and probably less likely to give me that desired "shocking" effect. So for wisconsin whitetail hunting with my 30-06 where impact is probably within 100 yds I'm actually better off using a 165/180 class bullet. If I were to be crazy enough to shoot my 300 wby I'd probably be better off with a 200 grain bullet.
With my 308 probably 150/165 class bullets.
Now lets say I go carribou hunting where shots are often at 300 yds on the tundra.....there the 165 bullet in my 300 wby would probably be impacting at a "just right" speed. I guess the bottom line that I'm thinking right now is the "super bullets" will penetrate almost any animal but I'm thinking more about impact velocity and trying to match it to a bullet that will be doing somewhere between 2250-2850 fps when it hits. Thats where the beauty of the trajectory programs come in pretty darn handy. AND, I think that's where we're all the most likely to get bullet to perform and look like they do in the manufacturers ads!!

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
The TBBC was designed for magnum speeds, a good choice but pricey. Give the North Fork a try (also bonded). Mike makes a very accurate bullet that just gets better the faster you push it & it's half the price of the TBBC. I think the Failsafe is too hard, the NP is alwyas reliable but @ those vel. the front will "grenade" on impact, not too bad a thing, as you still get penetration.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Out of a .300 Win Mag I do not think you have to worry about the bullet selection period. If you hit them in the vitals with that cartridge, they will go down. I have shot a lot of deer in Georgia and Tennessee with my 7mm rm and they have all gone down like a ton of bricks, no matter if I was using long range bullets at short range or vice versa. Your issue will be the amount of edible meat left. The first deer I shot with my 7mm rm, the processor laughed when he brought me the meat and asked, "What did you shot him with?", then gave me the 20ilbs of edible meat off a 170ilb deer.

I still use it, but prefer my Redhawk in .44 mag when meat hunting.

Regards,

Posts: 153 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The longest tracking job I've ever had on a deer was using a 300 Win and TBBC bullets. The bullet zipped right through the heart lungs area. The deer took off like a bat out of hell. He was easy to find because the blood trail was huge, but he went several hundred yards downhill.

JD

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
But JD, what bullet weight? He wants to use 150gr @ 3200fps+. wave

one of us
posted Hide Post
My wife and I have used the TBBC 165gr in 308 on several animals. The TBBC is one of my favorite bullets.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The bullet I used was a 180, but this was also a fairly large Mule Deer.

JD

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I would suspect the 180grTTBC would be a bit tough for mulie vs elk. Same goes for most of the premiums when you go heavy for caliber.