New
Find
Notify
Tools

recticles
 Login/Join

<Winchrman>
posted
I have 6x42 leupolds with the heavy recticle or the standard recticle - anyone have an opinion on which would be the best choice for my 35 whelen . Lee in South Dakota

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Might as well go with the heavy recticule, as the 35 Whelen would be more suited for stopping a charging bear than shooting at prairie dogs at 300 yards.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
<Bill>
posted
Unlike a lot of foregin optics, Leupold std and heavy duplex reticles are not very heavy.

For field use the heavy duplex probably makes a lot more sense.

On the range the only problem you could potnentially run into is the reticule covering to much of your target (assuming you shoot at little targets).

one of us
posted Hide Post
Your question of recticles reminds me of the old joke: "doctor says you gonna die".

If a snake bit me in my recticles, I would die laughing!!!

I would say size does matter, and go with the lighter recticles.

have a light hearted day!!

Jameister

Posts: 902 | Location: Denver Colderado | Registered: 13 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Winchrman, I do like those HEAVY Duplex reticles for hunting myself. They make a siginificant difference in "low light" conditions. Also agree that the 35Whe is not normally thought of as a Varmint round, so the HEAVY Duplex is the one I'd use.

BTW, Leupold will swap reticles for right at $45, or that was the price the last time I had some swapped.

But, I do have a couple of the Regular Duplex reticles on rifles I consider Varmint outfits.

------------------
Good hunting and clean 1-shot kills, Hot Core

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If the caliber were .270 or .22-250, I'd say the lighter. But I agree that the size animals and the range you'll be using the Whelen, it makes sense to go with the heavy. Also, in low light conditions, you'll find some advantage there.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have some scopes with heavy duplex reticles, and they are great for big-game hunting.

The one downside to the HD is that you might have trouble shooting small groups at the range due to the reticle covering more of the target center.

George

------------------
Shoot straight, shoot often, but by all means, use enough gun!

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
<Sparkman375>
posted
I have found and use a very good compromise in a reticle style called #4A. It's a heavy, w/ fine center, and NO top post for fast target acquisition in low-lite, or close-up. JJHack pointed me into this reticle, and I thank him everytime I use this scope. I got it installed in my Leupold by premierreticles.com (no change in warranty) you can go to their website and look at this reticle config. I have mine on the .375, and find it wonderful for lowlite, and close up conditions. The fineness of the center allows for 200yd. coyote shots quite easily thru my 2-7x33 Sparkman375

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Ditto's on the 4a, thats what is on my whelen, in an M8 2.5x compact. If you order the scope new from Premier, the cost for the reticle change is less then a retrofit on an existing scope.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote