THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    any botanists out there identify this plant?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

any botanists out there identify this plant?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of jb
posted
this is what the deer appear to be grazing on out in the bog where harvested.Anyone have an ID on what it is?

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
any wild shots in the dark?

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it was under water I wold say it was Hydrilla.

Alan Smiler

But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.-Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 511 | Location: Goliad, Texas | Registered: 06 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of wino
posted Hide Post
jb, thats princess pine.

"Earth First, we'll mine the other planets later"
"Strip mining prevents forest fires"

Posts: 2407 | Location: smokey southren humboldt county nevada | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Maybe in different areas but princess pine has always been this to me:

http://www.westboroughlandtrust.org/nn/nn46.php

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12603 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It looks like club moss we have here in VA in high elevation bogs.

Posts: 324 | Location: VIRGINIA | Registered: 27 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
princess pine is way bigger.when I go back for blackpowder season,I will take another photowith some thing in the photo for scale.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Parrotfeather .. 100% no questions asked. If you would like to read a research article about it's control look for it in the Journal of Aquatic Plant Management, 2006 second issue. Look for a guy named C.J. Gray who is the senior author of the paper. Of course, you might just have him right here?! clap

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of wino
posted Hide Post
according to USDA, no parrotfeather in MN. But then again we don't have wolves, moose, or mountain lion in upper michigan either. http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=MYAQ2

Posts: 2407 | Location: smokey southren humboldt county nevada | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Awned hair cap???????? Or, maybe one of the thread mosses????????

Joe

Where there's a hobble, there's hope.

Posts: 369 | Location: Homer, Alaska | Registered: 04 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Yeah, no parrotfeather in MN is like saying there isn't any hydrilla in Wisconsin either. Well, I saw a small homeowners pond the last week in August that had hydrilla southeast of Madison, which was treated. Funny, that pond also had three other invasive aquatic species in it.

Trust me, it is parrotfeather!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here are a bunch of pics of parrot feather.

http://www.forestryimages.org/browse/subimages.cfm?SUB=3054

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have it all over my property in Pa. To me it is moss, makes good toilet paper!

Posts: 178 | Location: NE Pennsylvania | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 178 | Location: NE Pennsylvania | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
sphagnum moss

I think Tundragriz nailed it, sphagnum moss gets my vote if I get one!! thumb

http://botit.botany.wisc.edu/images/veg/N.Wet_N.Wet_Mes...phagnum_moss_VK.html

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
jb
Isn't that the plant you've been smoking to get your opinions on Tx. hunting?

Perry

Posts: 2247 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Copidosoma
posted Hide Post
It is NOT Sphagnum moss. It is most likely a club moss (genus Lycopodium, check it out on wikipedia). It is pretty common up here in the Boreal.

one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
JB,

It is sphagnum moss. It looks at though there is a few sprigs of leatherleaf mixed in and the long slender stems are a type of sedge. (bogs and bog plants are a minor hobby of mine)

Sphagnum is used in the floral industry to keep plants from drying out. It acts as a sponge and can hold many times its weight in water. It was also important in the civil war as a dressing for wounds. When cloth dressings ran out, sphagnum was used and they found there was some antiseptic qualities.

Jim

Please be an ethical PD hunter, always practice shoot and release!!

Praying for all the brave souls standing in harms way.

Posts: 731 | Location: NoWis. | Registered: 04 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Copidosoma
posted Hide Post
If it is a moss it could be Polytrichum juniperinum (Juniper haircap moss) but it is most certainly not any of the Sphagnum species.
I still stand by it being a Lycopod of some sort although the Polytrichum is looking more possible.

And, not to be too argumentative but...
The leaves of the "leatherleaf" appear to be more like a Kalmia Sp. (bog laurel). They aren't green as you would expect (making them look very much like leatherleaf) but this isn't uncommon for plants living out in the bog. I can't tell if they are alternate or opposite from the photo. No flowers, too bad.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Juniper haircap moss

I want ta change my vote!! Big Grin

http://popgen.unimaas.nl/~jlindsey/commanster/Plants/Mo...hum.juniperinum.html

one of us
posted Hide Post
Polytrichum.

I have collected 50,000 metric tons of the stuff while in the sexual stage.

one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
Well, back to the research. When ever I have grabbed handfulls of the stuff, there was all kinds of sphagnum attached to the bottom and I assumed it was the new growth.

I will have to look more closely. I will be in the bog later this week so will look then. Big Grin

Thanks for the info.

Jim

Please be an ethical PD hunter, always practice shoot and release!!

Praying for all the brave souls standing in harms way.

Posts: 731 | Location: NoWis. | Registered: 04 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Copidosoma
posted Hide Post
quote:
50,000 metric tons of the stuff

Wow, anyone who needs THAT much has one serious case of the stomach flu. Eeker

I retract my earlier stance by the lycopod guess. Totally not.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I used to work for a biological supply house. We collected it and manually cut the sporophytes from the moss for use in a fern review set.

https://www2.carolina.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Pro...essId=&catalogId=101

50K metric tons may have been a bit of an exaggeration.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crowrifle:

I have collected 50,000 metric tons of the stuff while in the sexual stage.

Yours or the moss's sexual stage!!! Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of wino
posted Hide Post
i change my vote to, i thinks i was drunk when i called it prin pine

one of us
posted Hide Post
.looks like Lycopodium to me

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wino:
i change my vote to, i thinks i was drunk when i called it prin pine

No shame in that! Smiler

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
I thought this was sphagnum moss,from the same bog last year;

another pic of same from a different area of the same bog last year,note the blood from a deer

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

One of Us
Picture of Copidosoma
posted Hide Post
Yup, those last pics are sphagnum