New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cartridge for a sheep rifle?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a M70 Stainless currently chambered in 7mm Rem.Mag. The action has been lightened all that it can be. I use it only for back pack sheep hunts.(Too darn light to hunt anything else) Barrel is shot out so it is getting a new one. This rifle has been sitting at the gunsmiths for several months but I can't decide on a cartridge now that I have a choice. If I were able to start from scratch I would go with a 280AI which would be Ideal in a 24" barrel. Problem is I have to much invested in this action so I have to stick with a cartridge with a mag. bolt face and I want to keep the barrel as light as possible.

I want a lightweight barrel 24-26" long chambered for something flat shooting in 6.5 - 30 cal. Nothing smaller, nothing larger.

Cartridges that I was considering were:
- 7 MM Rem.Mag
- 30-338
-6.5 WSM (only if i don't need a larger magazine box)
264 Win.Mag
- 270 Weaterby Mag.

What are your thoughts, votes, or suggestions?

Daryl

Posts: 536 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Daryl,

All of these will be just fine for sheep.

From your list, I would pick the 270 Weatherby, though. Personal prefenecse for a 270.

------------------
saeed@ emirates.net.ae

www.accuratereloading.com

Posts: 66954 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
<jd_1>
posted
For sheep only I would pick the 264 winnie just to ba a little different. Awsome cartridge...JD

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd stick with 7mm or bigger. They are the better bores for elk hunting, and you might want to do some elk hunting sometime where a lightweight rifle is a plus.

Posts: 612 | Location: Atlanta, GA USA | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
I'd stick with the 7mm Remington Magnum. It'll do all that the other cartridges mentioned will do, plus more, and it's got the advantage of wide availability.

AD

posted Hide Post
Either 7mm mag or 270Wby mag. If mag box will work the new 270 WSM would be #1 pick for me.

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What about a 7mm Yukon,300 Win necked to 7mm?You'd probably have to remove the block in the rear of the mag box.You could go to the STW but the M70 mag box may be a bit short for this one.If you are setup to reload 7mm Rem Mag just go with that as it has worked for you in the past.

Posts: 588 | Location: Sherwood Park,Alberta,Canada | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
You know my opinion already Daryl, but I say pick a 6.5.

If the 6.5 WSM requires mag mods, go for a 264 WM. You'll like it!

Of course, every sheep hunter should own a 270 of some type or another, sooner or later, simply out of respect for the late great sheep god, Jack O'C.

The 7 STW wouldn't be a bad choice either.

Canuck

[This message has been edited by Canuck (edited 01-09-2002).]

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd go for a 6.5mm Stw or 7mm Stw. Or one of the Ultra mags. They'll fit the bolt face. FWIW - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Daryl,
The M-70 Stainless is a relatively recent offering; how did you burn the barrel out on it already?
If you shoot that rifle a lot, you might be better off with the 7mmRemMag; you know the trajectory and capabilities of the round, plus you already have brass, dies, and bullets for it (you DO handload, don't you?).

The .30-.338 would be a bit lighter, due to its larger bore; with 165gr. bullets would shoot pretty flat out to 400yds. This would be my second choice, but I handload.

The .270Wby. is a great round, but brass is more expensive and loaded ammo isn't as widely available.

The .264WinMag is ~200fps faster than a .270Win. with more noise and more expensive brass. It's a step down in power from a 7mmRemMag.

The 6.5WSM will probably require some mods to the magazine box and rails.

I'd stick with the 7mmRemMag, unless you have to have something different, in which case, I vote for the .30-.338 (you may want to hunt elk or bears with that gun someday).

George

------------------
Shoot straight, shoot often, but by all means, use enough gun!

[This message has been edited by GeorgeS (edited 01-09-2002).]

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Daryl, personally I'd stick with the 7mag. If you've burned out a barrel with that caliber you're obviously already familiar with the cartridge and trajectory. It'll do anything re sheep that any of the other mentioned cartridges will do, and I suspect will drift less in the wind as well. We love to talk up our flat shooting cartridges, but in the mountains the horizontal trajectory is always more important than the vertical bullet drop.

If you've spent much time in the high country, you also know the concentration of grizzlies in some places. During a backpack, hike-in sheep hunt a couple of years ago, my partner and I would camp below treeline, than hike up in the morning on an old game trail. Every day we'd hike up, and when we came down at night there would be fresh grizzly tracks over top of our fresh tracks! Really makes the old sphincter pucker! I'd sleep better in grizzly country with a 7mm than I would a lighter cartridge.

Posts: 235 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 08 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i'd stick with the 7 mag unless you really want a 264 cal...

------------------
When in doubt, do a nuclear strike.

Posts: 1723 | Location: wyo | Registered: 03 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Of your pics I would choose the 270 weatherby, but of any rounds I like the 7MM Dakota MAG a lot...

[This message has been edited by Buell (edited 01-10-2002).]

Posts: 935 | Location: USA | Registered: 03 June 2001Reply With Quote
<leo>
posted
You know, sheep are considered to a bit soft so a light weight .25-06 for the climb would work great including long range shooting.

posted Hide Post
The .25-06 is a great round, but it does not meet Daryl's requirements for 6.5mm & up bore diameter or .532 head size.

George

------------------

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello Daryl

Consider the 6.5 mm Remington Magnum, originally designed for just this sort of thing. It already has the bolt face you want, although it was designed for a short-action rifle ( the model 600 ). The cases are a little uncommon but are so hard to find.

Tom

Posts: 14375 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oh, just great!
I was hoping to get some help and everyone picks a different caliber and then some.
(not serious)

Thanks guys.

Rembo,
I have a Mod.70 in a 7STW that I was planning (procrastinating)on chambering to a 7mm Yukon. I will E-mail you for more info on it if you don't mind.

George S
The truth is; I can't really say forsure that the barrel is burnt out. I purchased the rifle almost 8 years ago. I have shot about 2000-2500 rounds through it. I have gotten caried away a few times in the gopher patch and the silhoette range. It used to shoot under an inch all day long with my handloads.(yes I handload) The BEST I get now is about an 1.5" @ 100. I know that is not bad but, enough of an excuse to rebarrel it with a lighter barrel. It is easier to say burnt out, then get long winded.(now you got me going)
Your post is well said, and I agree with you and the others that the 7mm Rem. is the best choice. I think I will stick with the 7mm Rem.Mag. I have shot several bears with this gun including a nice grizzly(150gr. B.Tip),2 years ago while sheep hunting. That is why I wanted something between 6.5 & 30 cal.
I am still tempted though, to go with the 270 Weatherby or 264Win.mag. I guess I will have to flip a coin. Best out 7.

Thanks again,

Daryl

Posts: 536 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
.284 Win. Take a look at a great cartridge.

BB

Posts: 34 | Location: Kirksville, MO | Registered: 17 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Daryl D:
George S
The truth is; I can't really say forsure that the barrel is burnt out. I purchased the rifle almost 8 years ago. I have shot about 2000-2500 rounds through it. I have gotten caried away a few times in the gopher patch and the silhoette range. It used to shoot under an inch all day long with my handloads.(yes I handload) The BEST I get now is about an 1.5" @ 100. I know that is not bad but, enough of an excuse to rebarrel it with a lighter barrel. It is easier to say burnt out, then get long winded.(now you got me going)

Daryl,

Can you seat your bullets out a little farther to compensate for any throat erosion? This often restores accuracy.

George

------------------

one of us
posted Hide Post
Since you have a Win, the .264 Win mag, would be a perfect cartridge, the 7mm Rem is a nice cartridge though, it's my favorite deer rifle.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice things about the 7mm Rem Mag is your familiarity and the universal availability of ammo. If you get to Fort Nelson in north eastern BC on a sheep hunt then find you lost your ammo, no prob. I don't own or shoot 7mm so my vote isn't swayed by calibre bias.

Posts: 36231 | Location: Laughing so hard I can barely type.  | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
George S,

Thanks, that makes sense. So I called my gunsmith and he said the barrel looked good. There is room in mag box to throat it out a bit and the smith said it would clean the throat up.
I guess now I will have to find anouther Mod 70 and build a 6.5 WSM.

Daryl

posted Hide Post
Daryl,

That's good news. You could always use another rifle (at least that's what I keep telling myself).

George

------------------

one of us
posted Hide Post
What Saeed said!!

mike

------------------
Victory through superior firepower!

Posts: 324 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
<Flinch>
posted
7mm mag, 7mm mag, 7mm mag, in that order. If it can't be killed at long range, short range or anywhere in between with a 7mm mag, you need a LOT more gun. I have a custom 7mm mag being built right now on a 700 action with a 27 inch Lilja SS #4 contour barrel. I have killed all kinds of stuff with the 7mm and never wanted or needed anything else. Whoever said it is light for elk has never taken elk with one. Absolutely devistating round on elk, moose, deer and everything else within reason. At 2,500 rounds, I would say your barrel is spent. That is pretty good mileage out of a 7mag. Flinch

<sure-shot>
posted
I'd go back with the 7RemMag, order new barrel with a 10 or 11 twist to shoot 140-160gr bullets and you're set. sure-shot

<Don Martin29>
posted
I had a 7mm Rem Mag with a 1-10 twist and when the bbl got worn it started slinging the 160 gr boattails all over the target at 100 yards. It still shot the 140 Sierras OK but that got me checking it out and I found that Ruger had used the wrong twist! I think the standard should be 9 1/2 or 9.

Always error on the side of the faster twist.

I would not get a .270 Weatherby. In 10 years "Weatherby" will just be a historical figure. Freeboring and the Mark V are not the best idea. The only real contribution to shooting Roy made was celebrity promotions and his cheek piece design for low impact on your face. I wish more rifles had the Weatherby cheekpiece.

[This message has been edited by Don Martin29 (edited 01-13-2002).]