THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Fixed vs. Variable Power Scopes for hunting
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fixed vs. Variable Power Scopes for hunting
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hey guys, I had decided early on that for my hunting rifles I wouldn't bother with variable scopes, what a PITA, I don't actually change power when hunting. Part of it was though that a 3-9, when on 9, the eye relief is too short ON CHEAP SCOPES, but I notice that Leupold's barely change.

Leupold variable's can normally be had pretty cheap. how do you guys like variables vs. fixed in the field, and do any of you just pick say 6x or 7x and leave it there? that's likely what I'd do with one.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got many examples of both, but for an all around use gun, a variable, on the order of 1-5x, 2-7x, 2.5-8x, 3-9x, or slightly more is really a better choice IMO. If I had to choose one for everything, everywhere (and I'm referring only to big game, not varmints) it would probably be a 2.5-8x.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Interesting. I've noticed they, the Leupold's at least, seem to have a smaller objective diameter, does that affect field of view much?

I did decide I like gloss over matte, easier to keep clean.

May I also ask guys, how do you like the german reticle? I have hunted with a scope that had a single dot on the crosshairs, that was real quick for acquisition, I've got one with CPC reticle, but most are duplex. I'd really like to give the german a try, and might get one switched to a dot too.

Thanks much Gato and in advance to everybody else.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I don't know if I own a fixed power scope anymore. All my bolt rifles have variable power scopes and most of my semi-autos also.

If you like a fixed power, then set it and forget it.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12700 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Interesting. I've noticed they, the Leupold's at least, seem to have a smaller objective diameter, does that affect field of view much?

The size of the objective is unrelated to the field of view.

4X used to be considered the "all around" power before dependable variable scopes came along. If restricted to a fixed scope, that's probably what I would choose for big game. However, a good variable gives you more versatility -- the wide field at low power for close/fast situations and better target definition at higher power for long range and sighting in. I carry my scope at fairly low power when on foot in the event of the need of fast action. If game is spotted at a distance, there is plenty of time to crank up to the maximum magnification.

Like Gato says, a scope from about the 2-7X range up to the 3-10x range is a good game scope. If bulk and weight are important and you don't want to "overwhelm" a light sporter with an outsized scope, get something like a 2-7x33. If you anticipate using it often for long, open shots and size/weight is not too important a 3-9X or 3.5-10X is nice. More magnification won't be of any advantage in hunting game. And a 50mm objective isn't of any advantage in most states of the U.S. which limit hunting hours to a half-hour pre/post sun.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My main hunting rifles wear Leupold 2 1/2 - 8 variables. Most of the time they are set on about 4 power, but if I get in thick, heavy cover they go to 2 1/2 for the wider field of view. When I have a shot lined on an unaware animal, and time, it will go to 8X for more precise sight picture. All of my rifles have variable scopes mounted.

Posts: 664 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Here is my experience FWIW. My primary hunting has always been in the coast range of California hunting blacktails (hence the handle). These deer are as likely to jump when you are 5 ft away as they are to jump at 500 yards. Also since I was the owner of the land where my fiends and I hunted, I basically acted as a guide and often had to finish deer in close quarters after they had been wounded. I needed a scope that would give me focusing and an adequate field of view down to about 10 feet. For these reasons my hunting rifle has a Leupold 2-7X compact. Close focusing and they only weigh about 12 ounces. I always carry it turned all the way down, If you need to make a longer shot and have time, you can always turn it up. Any variable in that range would work although a 3-9X is a little too much magnification on the bottom end for my tastes. My DGR carries a 1.5-6X and I usually carry that set to about 3X in Africa for picking shooting lanes through the bush and turn it all the way down for follow-ups. I have blown shots because I had too much magnification when I had a fixed power scope, I have never blown a shot because I didn't have enough magnification. As always, your mileage may vary.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dago:

If I've got a choice, for normal range hunting scopes, I always choose the 4A. I like the heavy cross hairs for dark work on pigs and I think they probably give you a faster target centering acquisition under normal lighting conditions but this is only an impression on my part, I can't prove it.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most of my scopes are variables but I keep the power turned down because running shots are common here and it's easier to shoot freearm with low power.

Posts: 3167 | Location: out behind the barn | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used both and will say variable power is the best choice.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dago Red,
I have fixed power rifle scopes ranging from 4 power, to a 24 power Benchrest scope. Variable power scopes from 2.5-8 to 6-18. My hunting rifles carry variables!
Doug

Posts: 478 | Location: Central Indiana | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I've been using a Leupold 3-9 variable since 1976 and I'm convinced that my hunting would be severely compromised if I switched to a fixed power scope. I am really used to carrying my rifle on the lowest power and turning it "up" in a split second if I need it.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:

Look through a Leupold 3-9x40 and a Leupold 3-9x33 compact.
I own both and I can see the difference. I don't notice a difference on any of my other Leupolds , Nikons or Sightrons.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one fixed power scope, a K3-C3 El Paso Weaver, which is as good today as when it was new. Very light weight for a steel tube. The Eye Piece measures 1.265" inside and the Objective measures 0.8" on the inside, so it is not the best choice in Low Light conditions, or if you want to see a larger image at longer distances. Of course Low Light can be due to Heavy Overcast, Rain, Hunting inside the woods with a heavy overstory and where the legal Hunting Hours begin 60min before sunrise and end 60min after sunset. Very rugged though.

All the rest of mine are various Variables with some currently up to 24x and many with the excellent 50mm Objectives. If a person does not take long shots, then the smaller scopes(weighing less) make a lot of sense. For the people who just roam around until they trip over some Game, the Low Power on the Variable is excellent. But if you are Killing Does and want to make sure you are not about to blast a Nubbin' Buck, then the weenie scopes need to be left in the Safe.

One additional thing the High Power Scopes excell in is seeing Mirage. Depending on the Heat conditions and angle of the light, it is practicle to use the Mirage as a Wind Sock. That isn't as easy to do with the weenie scopes and often impossible.

But, a person should use a scope based on how they Hunt. Try both types and make the best decision for yourself. There are many excellent scopes today which do not cost very much. And some with a better Warranty than Leupold(Reference the Optronics, very inexpensive scopes, web site).

Good Hunting and clean 1-shot Kills with whatever scope you choose.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
I have settled on 2x7x33 scopes for all my big game rifles.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dago Red:
Hey guys, I had decided early on that for my hunting rifles I wouldn't bother with variable scopes, what a PITA, I don't actually change power when hunting. Part of it was though that a 3-9, when on 9, the eye relief is too short ON CHEAP SCOPES, but I notice that Leupold's barely change.

Leupold variable's can normally be had pretty cheap. how do you guys like variables vs. fixed in the field, and do any of you just pick say 6x or 7x and leave it there? that's likely what I'd do with one.

Red

See my rely in this thread

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fixed.
End of sermon. jumping

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty well set on Leupold 2-7x for almost everything. I think it's a good compromise between power vs weight/physical size. I've never needed any more power than 7x and I oftentimes will put it on 4x and leave it. I've never found it lacking for open country hunting for either sheep or caribou.
My .338 Mag. is different however. This rifle was bought to use on moose, elk (here in Ak.)and possibly Brown bear. This rifle sports a Leupold 1.5-5x, Vari-x III.If I'm walking thru brush/timber, I'll put it on 1.5x. If I'm on a stand where there is a good chance of a longer shot, I'll put it on 5x.
In all of my years of hunting Ak., I've never needed nor wanted more than a 2-7x scope.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
At first, conventional wisdom was to avoid the variables because it was one more thing to go wrong. But that's pretty out dated info now. I've had a 1.5x5 on a 300WM for about 10 years and it hasn't even changed zero in that time.
I agree that the 2x7 and 2.5x8 are about ideal hunting scopes. I also agree that I sometimes go for extended periods of time without changing the power setting on my scope but knowing that it's there counts for something.
I also think that a variable scope would have more value in western type hunting than eastern.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Expensive vs. Cheap scope, you get what you pay for.

Variable, every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Reticle, depends. Duplex is nice and I would recommend it for general work. Heavy duplex can be useful, but it is not for precision work. I have started using a mil-dot scope. IF you know how to use a mil-dot it is the best for anything except close in work.

CISSP, CISA, CRISC looking for a IT Security/Audit Manager spot

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:

Look through a Leupold 3-9x40 and a Leupold 3-9x33 compact.
I own both and I can see the difference. I don't notice a difference on any of my other Leupolds , Nikons or Sightrons.

Look at the OCULAR bell on the Compact model. In order to have a reduced ocular bell and keep appropriate eye relief, something's got to give. In this case, it is FOV.

Despite the fact that the Compact has a smaller objective than the regular scope, this is not related to the difference in FOV. Some of the widest FOV scopes are straight tubed scopes with only about a 20mm objective lens.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the 3X9 Conquest or 2 1/2 X 8 Conquest or 3 X9 Kahles.How ever that is what I like.I cant choose for you.

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A few years ago I went out of my way to order a Leupold 2.5x. Compact model maybe, I gave the rifle and scope to my youngest. Rifle was a 35 Remington pump. I thought it would be ideal. The scope set me back almost 230 bucks. I could have had a 2-7 Vari x II for that kind of money. Now my son is handicapped by it. There are times when 2.5 is not enough, even for a 35 Remington.

Plus 1 for the 2.5-8. At least for the way I hunt.

Posts: 289 | Location: Western UP of Michigan  | Registered: 05 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Variable power scopes for me. Mostly 3x9s some 1.5 to 4 and 5s some bigger for varmints.

Back when I was shooting a lot of tactical rifle courses just for the fun of it. My buddy and myself would run them on 9x. couldn't see much differants in speed and hits.

Its all about haveing the rifle and scope set up right so when you throw it up to your shoulder it is right there with a full veiw and your on target.

That said I normally carry my scopes set at the lowest power.

Posts: 19601 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been using a 2.5 x 8 by 36 mm Leupold Vari X III and the standard duplex reticle on a .338 Win. Mag. for many years. Very fast on 2.5 power, even at 6 power it is fast. If I go above 6 power I want a steady rest. It has lots of eye relief, transmits plenty of available light, is light weight and relatively small. I also have a VX III 1.75 x 6 by 32 mm with their Custom Shop's Post/Duplex reticle on my old Mod. 70 30-06. Either scope will cover all my hunting here in Alaska. If I had millions in the bank I would still be using these scopes. I have used fixed power scopes in 2.5,3x and 4x. They work fine too. I guess I have mostly settled on the variables.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think the debate between Fixed vs Variable ended thirty years ago; other than for pistols.

The answer to the question is obvious.

Posts: 13869 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The variable scopes of today have improved over what they were in the 60a nd 70's, and a 3 to 9 x scope is just so much more flexable over a fixed scope of say 4x or 6x. In Bush terrain the 3x setting comes in very handy with more FOV than say a fixed 4x scope, and at longer range the 9x setting will stretch your view and enable you to inspect your quarry better before you decide to shoot or not. Sometimes you can better distinguish male from female (like Gemsbok in the Kalahari), when you are just allowed to shoot either bulls or cows. Also shooting groups at the range will be easier at 9x magnification when you can devide the bull into 4 quadrants.

The Leupold 3-9x40 mm VX2 gives a FOV of 32.3 ft @ 100 yds which is quite ample.
The Leupold 6x36 mm FX2 gives a FOV of 17.7 ft @ 100 yds which is reasonable.

So the flexibility in FOV is is clear to see with the variable scope when you have to trace a moving target in a heard situation.

Going to a DG scope like a Leupold VX-III 1.5-5x20mm Scope, the FOV at 1.5x magnification goes up to 65.7 ft.

Warrior

Posts: 2273 | Location: South of the Zambezi | Registered: 31 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
I have 2-2.5x - 7-8x on all my hunting rifles. I find anything over 8x to be impractical from field positions and I like to be below 3x for close in work or off hand shooting.

When stalking, I keep my scope set on the lowest power in case the quick shot occurs. As I approach the shot and start getting ready, I begin to think if it is going to be sitting, kneeling over sticks in which case I will be in the 5x-6x range or am I going to go prone in which case I will crank up to 7x to 8x.

All of the above is second nature during my pre-shot planning which can be anywhere from 2 seconds to 2 minutes.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10135 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A variable is the best choice, you can always leave it on low or 4x or whatever and go up when you need to. With a fixed, you're stuck with what you have. Saying that, I believe it more depends on where you hunt, what you hunt, and what you're putting it on. Makes no sense to put a 1.5-5 on a 7mm STW any more then it makes sense to put a 6-18x50 on a 45/70 1895.

I am buying a new scope for my 300 this year, and will be putting a 3.5-10 or 4-12 on it. I have a 3.5-12 Nikon on my 25wssm. However, depending on which direction I go with my heavy rifle I'll likely go for a 3-9 Zeiss most likely. You can't knock the Conquest 3-9x40 for 399.99, its so much scope for the money.

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
At the present time I use the following scopes. ----- A 3X12 Tasco World Class on .22 Mag. Two 4.5X14 Ziess Conquest's on .243 WSSM and 25 WSSM. A 6X24 Burris Signature on .257 Wby. Two 4.5X14 Ziess Conquest on two .270 WSM's. A 6.5X20 Leupold Vari-X III on a 7mm STW. A 2.5 Weaver fixed on a 30-30. A 3X9 Redfield Widefield on a .300 Winny. A 4X16 Burris Signature on a .340 Wby. Two Leupold 4.5X14 Leupold Vari-X III's on two .358 STA's. A 4.5X14 Ziess Conquest on a .338 Lapua. Two 3X9 Ziess Conquests on a .416 Rem and Rigby respectfully. As you can see I favor variable powered scopes. They have treated me well from home to all over the Western US, Alaska, Canada and Africa. Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I have variable Leupolds on all of my rifles, VariX II and III.
Except for two, my Kimber .22LR Classic and my Knight Disc M/L both wear a Nikon.
The .22LR could use a 4X and be just fine, but it has a 3x9x40
It is the Knight M/L that has the strait 4X but after using it for 3 years now I wish it had a 3x9
If for nothing else at all...shooting at the range.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Used to be a fixed power kind of guy, but I converted, when I found fixed powers were about impossible to find and the quality of the variables has improved vastly, over the last 30 years. Nowadays, it's 3x9, all the way and I usually keep the power cranked up to 9. I usually do open country hunting, so I don't se any benefit in using the lower powers.
Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Griz
You will some day

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RREESE
posted Hide Post
I grew up using 4X fixed power scopes. Later in life I discovered the value of variables and I have many. Hence I hunt with variables - set on 4X. Huge improvement. Smiler

NRA Endowment Member

Posts: 269 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 23 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MN Hunter
posted Hide Post
Fixed power are great until that one time when you need that little extra power. Then your screwed.

Buy the variable.

Posts: 245 | Location: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: 07 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
It would depend on what the rifle's "specialty" is.

Different sorts of hunting have different requirements as others have said.

I use a fixed 7 power with a 4a on an 06 for all my deer hunting.

It works and I like the familiarity of the sight picture. It helps things like judging range and animal size.

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RaySendero
posted Hide Post
My BG rifles are scoped:

• No scope (peep)
  • 2.5X Fixed
  • 4X Fixed
  • 4X Fixed
  • 8x32 Variable (beanfield)

________
Ray

Posts: 1786 | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
quote:
I believe it more depends on where you hunt, what you hunt, and what you're putting it on
Milehighshooter pretty well summed it up.

I've had a fixed 10x Weaver on my .22-250 for over 30 years. It was designed for long range shots at "gophers" and prairie dogs, but works fine for the occasional open country shot at a mule deer or pronghorn antelope.

My standby deer, antelope, and sheep rifle is a .257 Ackley with a fixed 6x Leupold. I feel that power is about perfect for these open country animals, and I've shot dozens of these animals with this rig.

For elk size animals my favorite rifle has been a .30 Gibbs topped with a 3-9x Weaver. Set on 3x and it's perfect for a quick shot when still hunting in thick timber, and crank it up to 9x for that across canyon shot at a unsuspecting bull. This combination has served me well for 30 some elk, a couple of Shiras moose, a mountain goat, etc.

For a general bag of African antelope and Canadian caribou, I've used a 7mm Rem mag topped with a 3-9x Weaver. For general open country hunting, I'll leave it set at 4x, but it only takes a quick twist to up the magnification to 9x for that 200 yd shot at a springbok.

When I booked a Zimbabwe cape buffalo hunt, I built a .375 Ultra mag and topped it with a 2-7x Leupold. I've taken it to Africa twice. The 2x setting allowed for a close 30 yd shot at a bull eland, and at 7x it was perfect for a 250 yd shot on a Vaal Rhebuck and a 350 yd shot on a gemsbok.

My newest rifle is a .300 Weatherby that I mounted a 4-12x Leupold on. I've only used this rifle on a south Texas exotic hunt where shots were less than 150 yds, but I consider this rifle and caliber about perfect for all around North American and African plains game hunting. I'm hoping this rifle sees a lot of action in these places and maybe a hunt in New Zealand and Argentina.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1635 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only rifle that doesn't have a 6x42 has a 1.5-6x42.

I find I can't stop fiddling with variables and that the fixed sight picture of a fixed scope is a greater advantage than any flexibility. I generaly only shoot at stationary animals.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Variables have much more capability to adapt to hunting conditions. If you are a meat hunter you can verify the little buck is legal or a trophy hunter that the animal is what you want to shoot at higher magnifications without the extra time or movement required to switch to binoculars. Like most I prefer to set my 3x9 Conquest on 3 when moving, I generally like 5 power when sitting and sometimes higher if needed.

I have made the mistake of carrying my variable scope set on high magnification, it hasn't cost me a shot that I remember. But I've changed lanes without seeing someone in a blind spot ...it's hard to eliminate every possible mistake.

If you are the type to make that mistake often, a fixed 4x might be a better choice for you - less to think about is often better for any type of performance including shooting in hunting conditions.

Posts: 299 | Location: California | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote