New
Find
Notify
Tools

backpacking
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello all, I'm doing a lot of packing this year if it ever quits raining. I was wondering if anyone has a favorite and cheap way to carry a rifle on a backpack. Do you favour a side mount, or would you rather have it in the center on the back of the pack?

thanks

the chef

one of us
posted Hide Post
The side mount is best, but be sure to balance the load with an equal amount on the off side then everything else centered. This is my experience, plus the rifle is handy if needed. wave Good luck and good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2354 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted Hide Post
I use a cordura/foam kinda scabbard made, I think, by Uncle Mikes. Weighs maybe 12 oz. and straps onto my old Gregory internal frame pack perfectly.

It carries very well this way and I can shed the pack and pull the rifle in a few seconds.

I have a custom neopreme pouch that straps on the other side of the pack that has my spotter and tripod in it.

Cinch up the compression straps on the pack and everything carries very well.

That scabbard doubles for rifle or shotgun carry on my mountain bike too, another great way to hunt.

Most of my hunting is by backpack or mountain bike and you find out that you really don't need much gear. Simpler the better.

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I bought a pack from Cabela's that has a velcro strap system to secure either a rifle or a bow to the center of the pack. It's pretty convenient and easy to use.

~Ann

Posts: 19206 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I made velcro straps to hold my rifle wherever i want it when backpacking.

JD

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of trapntrav
posted Hide Post
Best backpack made, for sheep hunting anyways, IMO is from these guys..http://thewildernesswanderer.com/
I use the full modular pac and you can get a "rifle holder" that straps to either side and works well.

Posts: 256 | Location: Fort Nelson, BC, Canada | Registered: 04 February 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapntrav:
Best backpack made, for sheep hunting anyways, IMO is from these guys..http://thewildernesswanderer.com/
I use the full modular pac and you can get a "rifle holder" that straps to either side and works well.

I quite like Duke Leduc's pack too, but it isn't for everyone. Its a little on the heavy side. It sure won't break down on you though.

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Check out the Kifaru Gunbearer........comes with their packs or purchased separately to adapt to other pack systems.....by far the best device I've ever used for keeping your rifle at the ready while packing......mine is on a Kifaru Longhunter Guide pack.

http://www.kifaru.net

Joe

Where there's a hobble, there's hope.

Posts: 369 | Location: Homer, Alaska | Registered: 04 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies!! I think I'll make one myself. Inner liner of closed cell foam so it floats if necessary, outer layer of industrial tarp material (like the semi trailer tarps) since I have some new pieces laying around. I'll make the open end so I can roll it around itself and secure shut making it wateproof. Nylon straps on the outside to secure to the pack. A pouch for bullets, and a pouch for cleaning rod etc.

Does anyone else have any suggestions????

the chef