New
Find
Notify
Tools

I won a wild boar hunt at
 Login/Join

<Boyd Heaton>
posted
a game preserve in Pa......How hard are they to kill.....Gonna use a pistol...45 Long Colt

posted Hide Post
The pigs themselves are not that hard to kill, and your .45 Colt will be plenty of gun if you use a good hardcast bullet and stout powder charge.

The problem with preserves in PA is that they are generally small, and usually unsporting.

I hunted at Black Boar Lodge back in 1986. It was fine until I heard the paddock gate hinges creak as the guide, who had gone off to 'push the hogs toward us', opened it up to let them out.

Other people I know said unkind things about Tioga and Shady Hollow.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
<billkay>
posted
I just returned from a 3 day hunt at the Wilderness Hunting Lodge in Tenn. Got a 275 pound Russian with a bow at about 20 yards. He went about another 20 yards and dropped with a heart shot. They have 2 ranches, the one I hunted was 1100 acres and the other was 1400 acres.

-

[ 12-21-2002, 09:22: Message edited by: billkay ]

<Boyd Heaton>
posted
nice pig

one of us
posted Hide Post
Pigs reproduce rapidly, but it is impossible for them to keep up with continual pressure inside a relatively small area. (Actually they would likely become so nocturnal that you couldn't kill them without a night sight, or they were starving and had to come to a food bait source) So.....the hunt operators are continually buying putative wild pigs on the open market (and yes there is one, very active in parts of Texas, but I doubt they get shipped as far as Penn)to release to supplement or to wholely supply their hunters. If the hunting area is decent sized, and if they are running wild it can be a good experience. Most of the places do not do this. Reason....their success rate would be much lower and they wouldn't get the business. Hey, but you still get to shoot them and they do taste good. A free pig hunt can't be all bad.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Have a blast.
If you are doing head shots, aim EXACTLY even with the eye and directly beneath the ear. You'll might be VERY surprised at the reaction... They will fall on their side, and "run" for 60-90 seconds, thereby spinning themselves in a circle on the ground. When you actually look at wound, for the 45, you'll see that the brain is destroyed.

It ONLY pig i've seen drop and not twitch was one I hit behind the ear, as she stopped, at 30 yards. Went down like she was decapitated.

Looks for the ears twitching, if you are stalking. carry 8xbinocs, and go slow, .. again, if you are stalking.

BTW, you want a sow for eating.

jeffe

Posts: 38517 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You only won one pig, right? Be very, very careful that you don't put that hardcast bullet through the first one and into the one behind it. That happens alot on canned hunts like Tioga. They even warn you about it, so take heed.
I speak from experience. The second Arnold cost me $500. Oink!!!

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
<Boyd Heaton>
posted
Won't be using hardcast...Got something speical worked up [Big Grin]