New
Find
Notify
Tools

6,5 x 55 knock down elk
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have shoot elks whit 6,5x55 and some times when i have hit a 200 kg elk in the shoulder it goes down at once.The little bullet knock over the elk.

I think that if i shoot a elk in the shoulder at 40 yrads and hit bone whit a 577 Tyranosaur and a 750 grains Hawk soft point bullet at 2500 f/s then i think the elk will be knock over at once.

Waht do you think guys...

Posts: 751 | Location: sweden | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote
<500 AHR>
posted
If we can leave the physics out of this question for a minute.

In my first hand personal experience the 585 Nyati hitting shoulder bone will indeed knock the elk over and hard. My firt had personal experience is based on use of a slightly lesser caliber than the 585 Nyati, that being a 505 Gibbs loaded a bit hotter than the original though with a soft pointed Woodleigh. I haven't shot an elk with my 500 AHR yet and probably won't as I am not a big elk hunter anymore (too old). Besides I like moose better!

Todd E

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Overkill!

Aside from "knock-down", you should use the word moose and not elk. This because elk is a NA species of deer not found in Europe and you are probably hunting here at home. I too have shot moose that have *fallen* down at once, particulary on frontal shots and of course on spinal hits. But I wouldn't call this a "knock-down".

[This message has been edited by Wachtel (edited 01-20-2002).]

Posts: 544 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 27 October 2001Reply With Quote
<magnarps>
posted
If the "little" 6,5 mm bullet don't go thru the moose, it leaves all its energy in the animal. This might be the reason that the moose is "knocked down" at once. If you use a caliber that shoots thru the animal, the bullet still have some energy left, and don't leave that much energy in the animal.

This is just my opinion.

Magnar

<vibrasonic9>
posted
Why the hell not? I'm fairly certain I can make one do a back flip with a .22 rimfire and sheer willpower.

------------------
Rod's Place

<Harald>
posted
Someone made reference here not long ago in one manifestation of this personal obsession of Overkill to the dubious practice of "cow tipping", a sport (for those unfamiliar) in which one attempts to push over a cow that is sleeping on its feet. Not having actually done this myself I cannot say whether this is ever successful or merely a gag to pull on the gullible like the time honored Southern tradition of "snipe hunting".

However, I will offer that my .45-70 T/C "handcannon" recoils with just enough of a moment up over my head that if I did not take a small step back to check myself I will teeter over backwards. I have done this a couple of times for fun. Its very slow, barely enough to actually make me tip over, but it would happen if I let it. If you did nothing to check your footing nearly any high-powered rifle delivers sufficient force to push you over. But it isn't going to be very fast and it sure won't do any harm.

I think any animal does gymnastics when hit for mainly two reasons: its momentarily paralysed by a hit proximal to the spine and cannot steady itself and (at other times) it actually reacts to the hit with an agonal spasm either reflexively or possibly consciously (lions in particular seem to bounce like a spring loaded gymnast, but if you shoot a dead one the carcass won't even twitch from the impact).

[This message has been edited by Harald (edited 01-21-2002).]

<Kimmo E>
posted
If you hit a moose with a 6,5*55 and the bullet stays i the body, it will give it a speed of ~1 m/s it dont turn it over. I have shot 8 mooses with 6,5 all with good effect, they usualy run 50-150m if you dont hit the spine.

MVH Kimmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Overkill,

It sounds like you got a spine shot on that elk with the 6.5 x 55.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote