New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Dealing with high altitude??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My first high altitude hunt was a little un-nerving too. I knew we'd camp at 10,300 the first day and felt that I'd need some insurance, Diamox was the insurance (not panacea)I wanted from what I'd read. I had a little trouble getting the Doc (military doctor) to prescride a few for me (it's an antibiotic and they're none to keen on short doses of antibiotics as a rule). Had I not stated that I was "forced" to go directly to 10,300 from ~sea level he'd had balked and I'd have gone without the Diamox.

This year again (my third hunting trip to the > 10,000ASL region, no Diamox last year) my wife is coming along and we'll be backpacking to over 12,000 after one or two days at 10,000. We'll once again take the Diamox (provided I can wrestle it from the military doctors), but this time it's because we can't esily descend if one or both of us get into a little trouble, (a little prophylactic medicine).

Here's a fairly good web site with info.

http://www.high-altitude-medicine.com/AMS.html

Now the only problem I have left at high altitude is those strange dreams (Chickens driving wooden Ford Torino's and such.. weird stuff ).

Posts: 225 | Location: Dorchester County, South Carolina U.S.A. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
Quote:

... had a throbber of a headache...

... I had a low-grade headache the whole three days we were in the mountains....

I plan to pace myself, drink plenty of fluids, have plenty of Tylenol, and hopefully be smart enough to listen to what my body is telling me. (My wife suspects I'm not that smart.)

The headache is one of the most common symptoms. It is often due to dehydration. You can get what is called contraction alkalosis IIRC. You are not only dehydrated, but your blood has a slightly alkaline pH. Aspirin and water will help. The aspirin is preferred due to the fact it is an acid and will tend to keep your pH headed the right way. Of course you have to balance that against the side effect of aspirin on platelet function and the increased risk of bleeding and bruising.

Talk to your doctor if you think aspirin is right for you.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
www.thebmc.co.uk/world/mm/mm3.htm

Diamox (acetazolamide) is actually what we call a carbonic anhydrase inhibitor. It is used in the treatment of glaucoma. It has a sulfonamide group as part of the molecule. What this means to you all is that you should not use it if you are allergic to "Sulfa" type drugs. It costs about 15 to 25 cents per tablet, so have your doctor write a prescription for 100 tablets.

JCN

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote