New
Find
Notify
Tools

Old Bear
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I thought this story was interesting, so I though I would share it.

A buddy of mine just got back from a season of guiding hunts in Northern B.C. The season went pretty smooth for him. About the only excitement he had was with a camp marauding grizzly.
Jim said he was awaken by a loud noise around midnight. He got up and found that the tack shed door had been ripped off. He walked over to the shed and looked in side(he said it was a stupid thing for him to do)
and found that a bear had made off with some horse feed. He said that he turned around and here is this big grizzly, standing on all fours, only about 20 feet away on his return trip for more grain(in sacks). Jim then shot the bear in the chest with his BLR .308. He said that it rolled the bear over backwards. The bear then took off into the woods. Jim did not think it was a good idea to look for the bear in low light so he went back to bed. In the morning he found the bear not to far away, stone cold dead. The grizzly squared 8 and a half feet. The bear was in rough shape. It had appeared that the bear was in a nasty fight recently for it had some gapping wounds and a good patch of hide missing. The bear was quite old, for it did not have much for teeth left. Jim said that the hide was pretty much useless.
They are certain that this was the bear that had been breaking into their cabins when they were away in spike camp, hunting.
Apparently, for several years, this bear had been causing havoc in camp when they would be away hunting. Up till now, they could not get him. If it weren't, possibly, for the lick'n the old bear got, they most likely would not have got him. Jim did the old guy a favor.

What I found somewhat amusing:
( For years, Jim has used a Ruger .338 for his guide gun. This year he decided he wanted something a little smaller and lighter for him and his horse to carry around. So when a good deal came along on the BLR .308, he jumped on it. It was the only head of game he has shot with it.)
I would like to post a picture of the bear when I get the chance.

Daryl

[This message has been edited by Daryl D (edited 10-29-2001).]

Posts: 536 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Very interesting story Daryl.

Good thing the shot turned him away before he died.

At our hunting camp, we were discussing shots at dangerous game that are at close range. A head shot is really the only option, as a fatal shot into the body might far too slow to kill him before he does some serious damage to you.

------------------
saeed@ emirates.net.ae

www.accuratereloading.com

Posts: 67040 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
I am sorry Daryl, but I simply cannot believe a word of it. Surely it is scientifically impossible for someone to fend off a battered and nasty G-bear, with a puny .308, and come out unscathed. Next you'll try telling me that he was also using 165 grain bullets!!!

I bet this guy hunts elk with a .270 too.

LOL, Canuck

ps: Great story! Thanks.

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One of the biggest grizzlys ever shot was at very close range with a 3030 win. as the bear was coming for him. I read about I inbelive outdoor life late 60s I belive that bears skull tied or beat the record at the time. Any gun is better then a sparp stick or a rock.

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
A close friend of my sister is a guide in Alaska and I read her book. Les packs a 44Mag and when the griz begin to get to close he aims for the hump on their back to break their spine. Otherwise their adrenaline is too strong and they may not stop charging so Im told. There is an account of just that thing happening in their book and it makes for a chilling story.

The book is Arctic Homestead by Norma Cobb and I highly reccomend it even though I dont do much reading.

[This message has been edited by Wstrnhuntr (edited 10-30-2001).]

Posts: 10141 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote