New
Find
Notify
Tools

Axis deer caliber and bullet choice
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a axis deer hunt in Texas in 4-6 weeks.

I have a 30/06 with 180 grain tsx or 9.2x62 with 287 grain tax. I know both will kill the deer dead - just wondering too much meat damage ?

Any better bullets ?

Thanks,

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
I have only shot a couple of Axis, and don't find them any harder to kill than a white tail.

They are one of the best eating deer around so I would suggest a bullet that is not going to cause excessive meat destruction.

For personal preference I would go with the .30-06 and a 150 grain TSX, but the 180 should do quite well, and I am not a fan of the .30-06.

If you can accurately place your first shot, it should do the job quite handily. JMO.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
I have only shot a couple of Axis, and don't find them any harder to kill than a white tail.

They are one of the best eating deer around so I would suggest a bullet that is not going to cause excessive meat destruction.

For personal preference I would go with the .30-06 and a 150 grain TSX, but the 180 should do quite well, and I am not a fan of the .30-06.

If you can accurately place your first shot, it should do the job quite handily. JMO.

Say what? That makes you one of very few that don't think the 30-06 is as versatile as it gets!

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
The 30.06 will do fine, as would any rifle from 260 up through as big as you'd like to go.

I had a 30.06 once for about 6 months in the early 1980s. I never had any use for it.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12569 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't have a lot of gun smaller than 30/06.

I have a lot of 308/7.62 but they are all ar-10 and other plaforms.

I have a 7,5 swiss but I dont want to hunt without a scope.

I have a 223.

I really dont want to destroy a lot of meat. I am driving 1300 miles one way so I can bring back meat.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Also I was thinking of a double lung shot to minimize meat loss.

Mike

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
What distances are you expecting? I would think 150-165 grain .30-06 or 250-grain 9.3 would be more than adequate and might be a little flatter.

I haven't shot axis but have taken bigger animals with the 9.3 and 250-grain bullets (albeit North Forks).

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charles_Helm:
What distances are you expecting? I would think 150-165 grain .30-06 or 250-grain 9.3 would be more than adequate and might be a little flatter.

I haven't shot axis but have taken bigger animals with the 9.3 and 250-grain bullets (albeit North Forks).

No idea on distance. TX hill country so I expect 100-200 yards. I don't shoot beyond 200 yards anyway.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Why are you driving that far, you have tons of Axis in Florida?

What used to be called the Brady ranch has tons.

Prices kind of break even when you consider the distance driven. Prices in Florida always seemed high when I lived there.

Posts: 7770 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Either of your 2 choices will kill them Axis dead and honestly both will do so with fairly minimal meat damage if you keep it in the chest cavity.
Knowing that pick the one you haven't killed a mess of game with and use it. Get some blood on it.
Both will work, which one will be the most fun to shoot something with?
Good shooting and Good luck on your trip!

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
Either of your 2 choices will kill them Axis dead and honestly both will do so with fairly minimal meat damage if you keep it in the chest cavity.
Knowing that pick the one you haven't killed a mess of game with and use it. Get some blood on it.
Both will work, which one will be the most fun to shoot something with?
Good shooting and Good luck on your trip!

When I read this I realized that all my hunting has been confined to 3 guns - 375H&H, 30/06 and 375 ruger. But in reality its 375H&H.

I think I will take the 9.3x62 sako which Wayne at AHR has worked on.

Thanks for the idea.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
Why are you driving that far, you have tons of Axis in Florida?

What used to be called the Brady ranch has tons.

Prices kind of break even when you consider the distance driven. Prices in Florida always seemed high when I lived there.

I want to hunt free range axis.

I have work meeting in New Orleans and Houston and friends in Houston.

My taxidermist is Houston - I dont like taxidermy but I want an axis mount. I think they are the best looking deer.

Also pick up some boudon in LA on way back home.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
I have killed several axis deer with the 30-06 and I only use 180gr bullets. My wife has killed several using a 7x57R. Minimal damage on all and the meat is always delicious.

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
quote:
That makes you one of very few that don't think the 30-06 is as versatile as it gets!

You misunderstand my comment. I think the .30-06 is a very good all purpose caliber, however, for my own personal use, I have never had one/wanted one.

I can and do say the same thing for the .270 and .308. Been on a few hunts over the years and seen all 3 used and used with great success, but Personally, I don't want or haven't had any of the three.

I recommend all three to folks just getting started. They all have a proven track record and ammunition of some flavor can be found at Billy Joe Bob's Gas-Grub-Guns & Beer Drive Thru in Broken Bucket Montana.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
I don't have a lot of gun smaller than 30/06.

I have a lot of 308/7.62 but they are all ar-10 and other plaforms.

I have a 7,5 swiss but I dont want to hunt without a scope.

I have a 223.

I really dont want to destroy a lot of meat. I am driving 1300 miles one way so I can bring back meat.

Mike

30-06 or 308 is perfect in my book. I like the Sierra 180 in this round. Much softer than the Barnes. The Barnes will damage less meat.

Posts: 5704 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Either of those monometal bullets will cause very little meat damage (they don't cause all that much organ damage, either, but typically enough to reduce an axis to your possession within a couple of hundred yards of where it was shot.) Besides, you didn't intend to shoot the deer in the ass, or in the backbone, did you? Ribs, even on axis, are not worth fiddling with, and you can trim around the hole on the shoulders since those typically just go into ground meat, anyway. "Meat damage" (with any bullet) is a non-issue if your shot is reasonably close to where it should be.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Neither of these choices will give you much meat damage, even if you hit the shoulder. The Axis is pretty lightly built.

The 168 TTSX in th 30-06 is a good combination, but the 150 or 13'Barn s would b fine, too.

Take whatever you shoot the best.

Posts: 352 | Location: Washington State, USA | Registered: 29 July 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Either of the cartridges and bullet combos you listed will work just fine for Axis. Meat damage with either will be negligible.
They are one of my favorite things to hunt and definitely a favorite to eat!

Posts: 81 | Location: Montana | Registered: 23 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike..

Glad to see you booked a free range Axis hunt..I know it's something you've wanted to do for some time...either of the rifles you mentioned will be just fine. Axis are a little tougher than a whitetail but any good whitetail round with a quality hunting bullet will do nicely. The meat is simply some of the best venison on the planet IMO and I make it a point to travel to Texas every year just to fill up the freezer.

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Something I gotta do one of these days Mike
I'm envious

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Your 30-06 is more than a enough. We've killed them with 85 gr 243s and up. All shot placement.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3050 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote