THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    ZBeing transgferred to Central California? Hunting oppurtuinities???

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ZBeing transgferred to Central California? Hunting oppurtuinities???
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Harold R. Stephens
posted
It looks like I will be moving to California for a couple of years to help get our Division up and running. Will be living in or around Sacramento in the central part of California and was wondering what kind of hunting there would be and how difficult and expensive is it to access land out there?

Founding member of the 7MM STW club

Member of the Texas Cull Hunters Association

Posts: 512 | Location: Granbury, Texas | Registered: 23 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Lots of public land nearby in Natl Forests. Like all public land, deer hunting is tough. Pheasant clubs close by. Pig hunting (guided) north or west about an hour away.
Lincoln, Ca has a decent shooting range and there are some in Sac itself.
Quite a culture shock from Texas. Be careful who you share any conservative views with.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
there is some good Bass fishing on the American river...

there is some Pig hunting there and you can Deer hunt, there used to be some pretty decent sea duck hunting around the bay area years back.

read and know the rules/boundary's for anything and everything your going to hunt.
everything is technically this and strictly that, shall this and should that, and you need to really know the difference. [1/4" IS a big deal there]

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Go north a couple of hours and there is good deer hunting but it's all draw by area. There is also great bear hunting with lots of public land but watch out for the Marijuana grow operations.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Budget is the bearer of bad news to most hunters in California.

Multiple Use Managers has deer leases, deer, elk, pig and bear hunts within a few hours of Sac.

Compared to Texas leases you will think they suck, and are over priced. You would be right.

However California has real mountains, and real wilderness, and quite a variety of native game. California Bighorns, Desert Bighorns, Tule Elk, Roosevelt Elk, Rocky Mountain Elk, black bear, feral hogs (some really Russian looking ones near Hearst Castle), California mule deer, Rocky Mountain mule deer, blacktails, and pronghorn antelope.

Apply for everything using a good mapping tool, and see how it goes.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Harold R. Stephens
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. Will be in Sacramento area to start with then unfortunately the LA basin later on. I plan on learning the CA draw rules as fast as possible, just not sure if I can get in on time this year for the draws? Idaho and Nevada are not that far away and I will look into those draws as well. Can't believe you have to get a pig tag just to shoot a pig??

Founding member of the 7MM STW club

Member of the Texas Cull Hunters Association

Posts: 512 | Location: Granbury, Texas | Registered: 23 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Harold R. Stephens:
not sure if I can get in on time this year for the draws? Idaho and Nevada are not that far away and I will look into those draws as well. Can't believe you have to get a pig tag just to shoot a pig??

You should be able to get in on this year's draw. Usually it is around June 5th.

The draws in Nevada are very tough because it is bordered by a state with 40 million people. There is lots of decent hunting if you are willing to pay. There is also lots of very poor hunting available for free(public land).

Personally, if I were you I would plan a few out of state hunts each year and forget about hunting in CA(but I might do a private land pig hunt or two).

I got out of CA 5 years ago and looking back I can't believe it took me so long. I would commit hara-kiri before moving back! Having said that, some people love CA....

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Harold R. Stephens:
Thanks guys. Will be in Sacramento area to start with then unfortunately the LA basin later on. I plan on learning the CA draw rules as fast as possible, just not sure if I can get in on time this year for the draws? Idaho and Nevada are not that far away and I will look into those draws as well. Can't believe you have to get a pig tag just to shoot a pig??

If you are only going to be there a few years, your chance of drawing a good tag are about the same as winning the lottery. About the only thing worth hunting on public land is wild hog. jbrown is right. Save your money and hunt out of state. When I put CA in the rear view mirror in 2014 after 35 years of high taxes, ridiculous license fees and over crowwded woods, lakes and recreation areas, IT WAS A GREAT DAY. Sorry to be a downer but it is just a fact...

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13440 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Pig tags are over the counter, no limits. I do most of my big game hunting out of state. I just varmint hunt here.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Forgot to mention ducks. You will be in teh pacific flyway and there is some duck hunting north of Sac in the Marysville and Colusa areas.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ddsipe
posted Hide Post
Another great shooting range is the Sacramento Valley Shooting Center. Located in Sacramento County, east of the city, probably about a 45 min drive from downtown. This range has 50yd pistol, 100 and 300 yd rifle open the the public. Many other ranges dedicated to different shooting disciplines. Like Cowboy, benchrest, silhouette, tactical pistol, and 1000 yard. Also, shotgun ranges. They have a nice website.

We contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
--Winston Churchill

"Oh, nothing Mom, just pounding primers with a hammer ..."

Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Weatherby announced they are moving to Wyoming.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you might as well jump on the Idaho bandwagon now and just come up Georgetown canyon.
the Camping spot up near the top right before the switchbacks heading over to Wyoming is reserved for California license plates.
if you see Washington state plates you went too far.
if you see Oregon plates you need to go up further.
if you see Utah plates camped at the bottom your in the right canyon, keep going.
wave to the guy in the Silver Dodge going 3 mph and laughing.
that will be me making the rounds of the various camps visiting old friends on my way home from Grouse hunting.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Once you move down south might be worth looking at Tejon Ranch membership. It's gotten pretty expensive over the last few years but it really is a sportsman's paradise.

Posts: 756 | Location: California | Registered: 26 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I got a tag for D15 this year, which is also good for D11 and D13. Success ratios are not high, but it's a day outside.

D11 and D13 are no-lead areas now, D15 was not this year, not sure about next year.
In 2019 the whole state is no-lead for hunting, I'm going over to Barnes copper bullets for centerfire, rimfire is an unsolved problem.

I don't feel tempted by Humboldt County, it's pot-farm country and rumored to be less-than-safe.

Calling game wardens in an area can be helpful.

There is dove hunting in Imperial County, don't know much about that yet. I've spent too much time working and not enough outside...

Oh. When you move in, you are required to register handguns with DOJ within 60 days.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14624 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
my condolences CRYBABY

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Harold,

Before you move to the State, check on Calguns.net you can find all the requirements for Pistol and rifle configuration and registration, magazine restrictions, etc.

Frank

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TomP:
I got a tag for D15 this year, which is also good for D11 and D13. Success ratios are not high, but it's a day outside.

D11 and D13 are no-lead areas now, D15 was not this year, not sure about next year.
In 2019 the whole state is no-lead for hunting, I'm going over to Barnes copper bullets for centerfire, rimfire is an unsolved problem.

I don't feel tempted by Humboldt County, it's pot-farm country and rumored to be less-than-safe.

Calling game wardens in an area can be helpful.

There is dove hunting in Imperial County, don't know much about that yet. I've spent too much time working and not enough outside...

Oh. When you move in, you are required to register handguns with DOJ within 60 days.

So next year you have to use steel shot for dove and quail? Do they even make steel birdshot in #8? Jeez, I am glad I got out of Komifornia when I did....

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13440 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blacktailer:
Forgot to mention ducks. You will be in teh pacific flyway and there is some duck hunting north of Sac in the Marysville and Colusa areas.

There is great duck and goose shooting less than an hour north of Sac. Some state run refugees and lots of rice fields, rent a tank on some rice checks for not to steep, just need to look around.

While it has been a lot of years,(and many things have changed) I have taken many deer in SoCal east of Los Angeles, just north of Fontana, all on public land.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote