New
Find
Notify
Tools

Livingston Montana
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dan: Head east from town some evening after work on I-90 and keep an eye out for large herds of Mule Deer in the fields to the north! Travel for 60 miles or so. Lots of Deer and Antelope out that way.
Also there is a big Gun Show (400 tables) east of you in Billings on September 12th-14th at the MT. Pavillion. This is usually a very good show!
Enjoy the Livingston area! I was just in Yellowstone Park this past week and the Elk are simply decimated there! In Hayden Valley where I used to see hundreds of Elk a day I never saw one live Elk! There was a carcass out there of something but no live Elk were seen! I have been visiting Yellowstone for 35 years now and the outrageous prices and the lack of Elk and Moose have finally given me doubts that I will ever return! The only Elk calves I saw in two days of intense looking were between houses in the Mammoth area! Safe place to hide from the Wolves?
Price problems = $20.00 to get in the gate! $18.00 for an unimproved spot to park a pickup! No electric, no water, no sewer - no nothing! $10.00 for a fishing permit that for decades was free! $2.00 for a small bag of ice etc etc etc. Its still beautiful in September and full of natural wonders but the Wolves have spoiled it for me! Even the park employees are worried about the overabundance of Wolves and their predation on the Elk, Moose and Sheep! My favorite Sheep photographing ridge now has a sign at the bottom stating "AREA CLOSED - NO ENTRY - SHEEP STUDY AREA"!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll definately check out that gun show. The Houfbrau, hmm? Ok, if I can find it, I'll go there. Thanks, and I'll keep an eye out for Mulies. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rimrock,
Yeah, those were the days, huh? I remember I met a gal from Powell, WY who wore a belt buckle almost as big as her cadillac. Chewed Copenhagen, too.
I went to U of MT. from 1981-1983.
My college roommate was a Story (Story Ranch)from Livingston.

Posts: 359 | Location: 40N,104W | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
<Rimrock>
posted
Now let's get it straight. U of M, or MSU? Of course, I have some loyalty to MSU, but my wife went to UM, and I damn sure don't bleed blue & gold or anything. In fact, I found it pretty amusing recently when some miscreants snuck into the MSU football stadium and wrote GRIZ in 5' high letters on the 50 yard line with a fire extinguisher! ;-) Killed the grass, of course. Wonder how big of chunk of turf they had to replace to cover that up?
And Dan, it's not like I'm recommending the Haufbrau as the hot new night spot or anything. In fact, it's kind of a dive. It hasn't gone yuppie, though. Stop in there for lunch or dinner and get a Filling Station Special sandwich, and carve your name on the table.
Leif, that wasn't Rob Story, was it? I think that was his name.... I graduated in '80, but somehow it wouldn't surprise me if he wasn't still going in '81. He seemed to be having a pretty good time...
Yeah, those were the days. Despite reports to the contrary, so are these! In fact if given the opportunity I'm not sure I'd go back. You know, despite reports to the contrary there are significantly more elk around now than there were then, although admittedly in some areas right around Yellowstone less than a couple of years back.
As the saying goes; the only constant is change.
Except at the Hauf!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rimrock,
Yep, U of Mt. Rob & I still keep in touch. He is a movie location scout, married and has 1 kid. He's still living on the ranch. I stop in there every other year or so. I live in Colorado now & don't get to Montana very much anymore. The Elk hunting back in those days could be summed up in one word, "TOUGH"! Very little quality bulls. Although the odds were good that any land owner would let you hunt. I shot a nice cow right under a chair lift at Missoula Snow Bowl one year, the bears were pretty thick then. Mule deer hunting was good on the Rattlesnake north of town, It's all houses now.
Rob & his brother Nelson were quite the pair, trouble would go looking for those two. I learned early on to keep a wary eye on 'em!

Posts: 359 | Location: 40N,104W | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rimrock, sometimes dives are the most interesting places. (of course, sometimes not) I will check it out some evening though. Definately headed to Billings for the gun show though, I just have to find this "pavilion" in mapquest or some such. Thanks again fellows. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote