New
Find
Notify
Tools

Livingston Montana
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I didn't get many responses in the miscellaneous topics, so I'll try here. It looks like I'll have to go go to Livingston next month to work for three weeks or so (for the BNSF). So what's interesting around there? Gun places I shouldn't miss, good places to eat and drink? Thanks. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dan

Welcome to Montana- Since I have a little e3xperience in the Livingston area, let me tell you what little I know.
Restaraunts- Try the Murray Hotel once, just for nostalgia- Jimmy Buffet, Peter Fonda have patronized this place during the its history-
Gun stores- Only one in Livingston is Yellowstone Gateway Sports, they have a good selection.
Try to get to Big Timber, about 35 miles east to see where they make repkica Sharps rifles, they have guns you can handle, and made the rifle for Tom Selleck in "Quigley". Also, in Big Timber, there is another store called the Fort, almost across from where the Sharps are made that has a good selection. Big Timber was where part of The Horse Whisperer movie was made.
If you like to fish, the browns should be starting to spawn, and fishing could be terrible to great, depending on the weather.
You will be about 50 miles from Yellowstown Park, if you haven't been through there, go see the elk and buffalo, and might see some wolves.
If you want to see the most rude, careless beligerant drivers in the lower 48, go to Bozeman. Bozeman is much bigger and has a few more places to eat. Cafe Ziedico on Main Street is one of the better ones, then you have Johnny Carrino's, The Bay and a few other places to eat there.
When in Bozeman, there is another Yellowstone Gateway Sports west of town at what is called Four corners, they have used guns, as does the one in Livingston. Also, in Bozeman, there is a Bob Wards beside the Target store on north 19th(Bob wards sign is hard to see)They have a few new guns. Don't believe ANYTHING the people in the gun department there tell you, I have it on good authority they tend to exagerate- LOL
If and when you get here, post another message, and I'll help you out whatever I can.

Posts: 32 | Location: between Alzada and Yaak | Registered: 24 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you. I'll be sure to check out those places and will post about it. - Dan

posted Hide Post
If you have time for a day drive take a loop through Cooke City on the north side of Yellowstone Park. What you'd want to see is Beartooth Pass on this trip and also the elk in Gardiner. It is something to see bulls hanging out on people's lawns. The pass is truely awesome.

Posts: 19 | Location: Snohomish, WA | Registered: 13 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dan,
Yellowstone Gateway Sports is in Livingston as well, make sure you check that store out. I work in the one at Four Corners, and I'd love it if you came in and introduced yourself during your stay in MT. Just look for the only guy with long hair working either archery or guns. Livingston and Bozeman are both beautiful towns and offer many great places to eat and drink. Just like the ones suggested earlier. If you stroll Main street in Bozeman (downtown), you'll find a plethora of places to please your palette. (say that 10 times fast). I also used to work at one of the Sharps factories in Big Timber...both of them are very nice places to visit, with many guns to fondle and drool over. The Fort has a good selection of guns as well. And yes, if you do get the chance, take the drive on the Beartooth Highway...it is absolutely breathtaking. Hope to see you soon!

[ 08-24-2003, 10:19: Message edited by: the444shooter ]

Posts: 264 | Location: Big Sky Country, MT | Registered: 12 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What about Morris Hallowell's place in Livingston? Always a bit pricey but a lot of neat guns to look at.

http://www.hallowellco.com/index.html

Posts: 354 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dan,
Livingston is a nice place. We stopped in for free Christmas dinner one year on our way to stay at Mammoth HotSprings. Lots of good looking bull elk around Gardiner. I think Steven Dodd Hughes lives in the area and might be amenable to a visit. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3577 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, this is the kind of stuff I'm looking for. 444, I'll make a point of dropping by when I'm down there. - Dan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dan,
They forgot a gunshop in Bozeman, The Powderhorn, that is most dear to my heart. It is downtown and looks and smells like a gunshop should. I probably visited there more than anything else when I was attending college way back when. I told Brad, AR member from Bozeman, that the big stains on the floor in front of the gun sections was from my drooling over guns I could not afford.

If you like fishing, you will be in fishing heaven around both towns, but more so around Bozeman. A lot of the filming for "A River Runs Through It" was done around Livington also. I envy you your stay in such a wonderful place.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
Dan,

There's a fine restaurant in Pray, MT. If I recall, it's the Chico Hot Springs resort. Pray is a bit off the highway that runs from Livingston to Gardiner. There's also a restaurant on the right side of the highway about halfway to Gardiner that is decent, but I can't recall the name. I know it when I see it, though. [Roll Eyes]

I'm heading to BC to hunt elk in early Sept, and will likley stop by YNP for a couple days on the way back to shoot elk photos. That will be in the prime days of the rut. So you might want to make a day trip down there and see the happenings. If you see a red 4x4 Dodge Quad cab with the AZ plate Tony10, yell at me. -TONY

[ 08-24-2003, 20:04: Message edited by: Outdoor Writer ]

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow! It's funny how living in an area can make you take "local" hotspots for granted, and not even think of them for recomendations to visitors. The Powderhorn is my 2nd favorite gun store to visit (aside from my place of work), and it really does have that feeling of heritage in it. Also, do yourself a favor and visit the Chico Hot Springs resort...you won't regret it, especially if it's cold outside. I can't believe I didn't think of those two places when the subject was brought up. And about Morris' place in Livingston, I've never been there, and this is the first time I've ever heard about it...I'll have to look into it in the near future! See you soon, Dan!

Posts: 264 | Location: Big Sky Country, MT | Registered: 12 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My sister lives in Bozeman. My 2 favorite places there are The Powderhorn and the used bookstore down the street from it. Last time I was in The Powderhorn, they had a Montagne-sporterized M1903 for $250. Idiot I was, I passed it up.

Posts: 1128 | Location: Iowa, dammit! | Registered: 09 May 2003Reply With Quote
<Rimrock>
posted
Man, the locals are coming out of the woodwork!
Between Alzada and Yaak, eh? Let's see, a literal interpretation would mean somewhere around Lewistown, right?
444; I'll have to introduce myself next time I'm in there. If it's even remotely convenient I'll make the effort to go out to Yellowstone Gateway over Bob Wards. Several buddies of mine have worked at BW. They don't anymore ;-). Something about the management around there breeds poor morale, it seems.
But these guys are right about attractions. Chico Hot Springs is a must. One of the finest restaurants you could find anyplace, IMO. We just got back from Seattle. Usually we go to Glacier for my daughter's birthday, but it's burning down this year, & she wanted to go to Seattle, so.... For her birthday dinner we went to this place that allegedly was just bully! Northwest seafood with a cajun flair, they said. Entrees in the $15-$20 range. What they neglected to mention was that a salad would run you an extra ten or so, and if you had a glass or two of wine or God forbid, a hillbilly whisky or two, and desert, it was going to set you back the better part of fifty bucks! We passed on most of that, and decided Chico put it completely in the shade. The food is vastly better. Not to mention that salad, artichokes, and sundry other appetizers come with. The wait staff is friendly, plus of course there's the hot springs and a bar with live rock & roll,and it is simply not to be missed.
And of course the Powder Horn is cool. A Bozeman institution. But you were asking about Livingston.... The Sport used to be good until the culties took it over. The Owl bar is sort of a borderline biker dive, but you just might find yourself sitting next to somebody whose work you might read in publications like Natl Geographic or others of that caliber.
And of course the Murray, and Martin's Cafe. And if you get tired of the wind, come over the hill to Bozeman. Park & walk up and down Main Street. This really is the finest place in the world to live, IMO....

one of us
posted Hide Post
My notebook is filling up! Thanks guys. - Dan

<the-moleman>
posted
I would highly recommend a stop at Morris Hallowell�s place if you could fit it in your schedule. He doesn�t run a �gunshop� per se, but rather sells out of his house, so be sure to schedule an appointment in advance.

I stopped in there last year while on vacation and he and his wife were very gracious and generous with their time. And the guns were unbelievable!

Kurt

<Vek>
posted
Do the carnivore in you a favor and visit Sir Scott's Oasis in Manhattan, on a weekend evening, and order their largest cut of prime rib. The sucker is HUGE.

Jerry V.

MSU Bozeman, BS '99

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. Kurt, how would I get hold of Morris? - Dan

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Dan -

When are you moving out & when do you intend getting back into Edmonton? Will you be checking mail while you're on the road? I'm just about to get some pics etc in a mail to you and want to make sure you see them!! Oct 31st is getting closer for us Europeans! [Wink]

Ian Farrington

Posts: 1306 | Location: Devon, UK | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Ian. I'll be back on Sept. 30. No worries mate! - Dan

one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
If you wear a hat, bring a couple extra [Smile]

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
<the-moleman>
posted
Dan,

Just email him at morris@hallowellco.com.

BTW, he told me he gets less than one visitor per week on average.

Kurt

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Kurt. Dempsey, would that be EMD hats you're talking about? - Dan

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm surprised Brad and Mark haven't chimmed in yet, they must be on the hill! [Wink]

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oh and Lynn, another reason I like going to the western states is that I can wear my stetson and shitkicker boots and no one looks at me like I'm a freak (most folks are dressed like me!). Gotta love it! - Dan

one of us
posted Hide Post
Whoops, wrong thread, man I must be tired, sorry. - Dan

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dan when are you gonna be down here?

Stop in at Bob Wards and look me up. While we do have a fairly generic store you may find something to look at. And I'd enjoy meeting you.

A couple of other eateries you may enjoy,

Western Cafe- on east main, always a good place for a good morning omlette.

The Corral -down south in the Gallatin canyon-about 8 miles below Big Sky.

Land of Magic- out in Logan west of town about 20 minutes. Good dinner place.

Rockin R bar-used to be a neat old place-IMO they ruined it byt turning it into kind of a Yuppie bar.

Stacies out in Gallatin Gateway is much more of my liking for a place to go for some suds.

Lastly, if you are a pizza dog try out Mackenzie River Pizza-there are about 4 of them around the valley. You'll most likely enjoy.

Hope you have a good trip and I hope to meet up with you.

And yeah guys I ahve been on the hill-spent the summer in a recovery from knee surgery--just got rid of it on Monday. Tuesday I took a 6 mile bike ride-found out what terrible shape I've become-amazing how quick we loose it. Spose it has anything to do with age???????

So I am making up for it big time by doing my workouts on the hill...grins

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dog

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Sir Scott's and the Land of Magic as good restaurants. No pretenses, just good food.

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark, i'll be flying down on the 7th of Sept. and leaving on the 30th. My weekdays are pretty much taken with work, buy I'll have weekends to myself, so if you're around I'd be glad to meet you. Let me know, I'll make arrangements. - Dan

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dan -it would be nice to hook up-I'll be off guiding a bruin hunt from the 14th thru the 21st. But call if you like and we'll work it out.

Or just stop and and look me up at work.

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dog

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I will Mark. Thanks. - Dan

one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
Dan

Livingston is a nice place, but terribly windy. I work in the sign business and go there once a month and it never fails to be blowing 25-30mph, sometimes a LOT worse. [Big Grin]

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I'll screw my hat down tight and hope for the best. - Dan

one of us
posted Hide Post
And for a couple of really important questions, is there a micro brewery in or around Livingston, and are there any good Mexican restaurants? - Dan

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dan;Montana Ale works in Bozeman has a great assortment of Montana beer on tap and if you get to the Great Falls area there is a good micro brewery at Belt about 15 miles south of Great Falls w/regards

Posts: 610 | Location: MT | Registered: 01 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Did any of you guys ever see the John Colter Band at the Cats Paw? Man, I'm glad those days are over! I will add my thumbs up to the Chico Hot Springs, too. If you get to Gardiner stop in at ELK Inc. just off Main & visit with Don Laubach, a real nice guy, author, & film maker. He has a shop full of Elk & other stuff.

Posts: 359 | Location: 40N,104W | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gee's Morris Hallowell, he use to run the best candy store in Connecticut, before he found religion and moved to Montana. Sold his store to Griffin and Howe another good candy store. Its worth while to stop in and look around his establishment. The Last time I did before he moved a FW Hyem in 7 x 57 went home with me. He pretty much trades in the High end stuff. So bring lots of cash. October in the Golden Triangle, take a flyrod with you. The trout fishing is fantastic.

Posts: 1070 | Location: East Haddam, CT | Registered: 16 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks boys. I'll (hopefully) see some of you when I'm down there. I leave tomorrow AM. I'm not sure what sort of internet access I'll have there, hopefully some sort. Take care. - Dan

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey I made it! We're staying in Bozeman at the Comfort Inn, and driving to and working in Livingston every day. Looks good so far. - Dan

<Rimrock>
posted
The John Colter Band?
Man! If that doesn't bring back memories.... You were around Bozeman back in those days, Leif?
The lead singer of that band is still around, and hosts an open mic at the Haufbrau every Sunday & Monday night. And hey, there's a place that hasn't changed in the last 25 years or probably longer! Last winter I had to run my daughter to town for art club on Monday evenings, & had an hour to kill so swung by the Hauf once. Unfortunately, they didn't get rolling until 9:00, and already had a pretty long signup list. Past my curfew, you know....
All the same, I've learned some tunes lately that I'm feeling a need to subject folks to, & sometime....
And also, FWIW, the John Colter band cut one album, which I later found out was produced by a cousin of mine from Bakersfield. Small world, eh?

one of us
posted Hide Post
The John Colter band now that dates me a bit---

Have a super day

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dog