THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Things I learned Hunting (That I Wish I Hadn't)
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Things I learned Hunting (That I Wish I Hadn't)
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That even though you worked hard to clean up the blood stain in the back of your suburban on that cold November day, when the weather heats up in the summer you will realize that you did not do a good job at all.

That it is better to keep your windows down on a 105 day than to smell what becomes of that blood stain.

Posts: 280 | Location: Ft. Worth, TX | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cwilson
posted Hide Post
Not exactly hunting-related, but...

As a result of butchering a deer taken while hunting, I have learned that carrying a hind quarter (wrapped in plastic) of a deer through the house [ from the basement refridgerator, through the carpeted (light blue) hall way and up the carpeted steps (also light blue) and through the carpeted living room (light brown)to the garage for futher processing is not a good idea!

As a result of the above, I also learned that hearing protection should be worn once the wife finds you scrubbing the blood from the carpet - only somewhat successfully.

In retrospect, going out the back door and around the house would have been much more comfortable.

cwilson

A well requlated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed - 2nd Amendment U.S. Constitution

Posts: 715 | Location: Boswell, PA, USA | Registered: 20 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you DON'T have a tag for it, you'll see a monster!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
The older I get, the smarter my Dad is.

Hunt with your grandfather every chance you get because you never know when it will be his last trip. R.I.P oldtimer.

Mac

Posts: 1638 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That when entering the hunting lodge (hut, tent, whatever) while carrying two plastic shopping bags, one of which contains two bottles of bourbon, the other four boxes of shotshells, it will always be the bag with the bottles that breaks, regardless of the weight of the shotshells.

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MAC:
Hunt with your grandfather every chance you get because you never know when it will be his last trip. R.I.P oldtimer.

Mac

That goes for your Dad too!!

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

Posts: 933 | Location: Casa Grande, AZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gerrys375:
You find out at the dinner table that you didn't get all the #6 shot out of a pheasant.

This one has cost me a few trips to the dentist over the years.
rotflmo

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Never take a drink out of a pristine stream thinking "I'm sure it's safe".

Always have an extra key hidden someplace on your pickup, especially if you'll be out for a couple of days on foot or horseback.... Big Grin

MG

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ovis:
DPhillips,

Care to talk about it????????? Smiler

Joe

Honestly, Joe, NO I DON'T CARE TO TALK ABOUT IT!!! Eeker

But for some reason, I tend to "re"learn that lesson every year or two... Big Grin

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DPhillips,

You make me feel so admonished for asking Smiler....

But, staying on topic, I'll admit I learned that I'm afraid of heights.

I'd loved to have been a lichen on a rock watching you "re"learn" a lesson or two. Razzer

I guess when we're bitten by the bug, we never learn, eh?

Joe

Where there's a hobble, there's hope.

Posts: 369 | Location: Homer, Alaska | Registered: 04 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just gives me nightmares, Joe! Big Grin

When hunting those curly horns in goat country, sometimes they live with the goats. It ain't pretty. How many times have I sat on the edge of some impossible (seemingly) cliff face and thought, "Now what am I going to do?". Just can't resist going up though when you have the ram in sight...

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Muletrain
posted Hide Post
Don't try to help hold the wounded Kudu down while the PH tries to stab it in the back of the neck.

Don't loudly chamber a round in your .375 while someone is hanging on to the Kudu's horns while it is thrashing around and trying to stand up.

Elephant Hunter,
Double Rifle Shooter Society,
NRA Lifetime Member,
Ten Safaris, in RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe

Posts: 955 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Muletrain
posted Hide Post
The top of your socks make a better substitute for the forgotton toilet paper. Why ruine a good t-shirt. Cut the top of the sock off with your knife.

Elephant Hunter,
Double Rifle Shooter Society,
NRA Lifetime Member,
Ten Safaris, in RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe

Posts: 955 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wooly ESS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brass thief:
when in the woods in cold weather, wearing several layers. Never pull down your pants, shit in them, and pull them back up.
good shooting.

And, be careful where the suspenders are laying!

The truth will set you free,
but first it's gonna piss you off!
www.ceandersonart.com

Posts: 574 | Location: The great plains of southern Alberta | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MadGoat:

Smiler Many people from my neck of the woods think that way. Fortunately, I had a father who educated me on the subject before I was even 8 years old and thought I could drink from the trout stream on our property. ("The fish are OK so the water should be OK!") He simply said: " "Remember that a deer might be pissing above you". That image always stayed with me! Smiler

Posts: 619 | Location: The Empire State | Registered: 14 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Never miss a shot ....particularly an easy one when your smart ass brother in law (the one who never forgets) is around. If happens more than once you are doomed to a lifetime of humiliation....the likes of which have never been experienced on earth.

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never shoot a moose thats not standing on the bank of the river. "It's only 200 yards" will easily seem like 200 miles!!

Posts: 663 | Location: On a hunt somewhere | Registered: 22 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Yes Riodot, I have signed a couple of tags with a rifle shell, and it does work.

Another I remembered is that pulling the trigger on an empty chamber is a lot louder than you would think. Especially when looking thru the scope at a deer. It is amazing how loud "CLICK" is.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
"To turn off the cellphone when the big bull mooose is ready to pass the clearing 30 yards away :-( "

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.
Sigmund Freud in General Introduction to Psychoanalysis

Posts: 35 | Location: Norway | Registered: 20 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
The good thing about chigger bites is that when they finally do quit itching, it is nearly hunting season again.

Regards,
hm

2 Chronicles 7:14:
If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

Posts: 931 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That the scariest sound isn't a bang when you don't expect one, but rather a "click" when you are honestly expecting a "Bang"

that your waterproof boots aren't

And the waterproof pack where you
had your dry socks isn't either.

And after avoiding the previous two pitfalls that you should never carry spare socks that you haven't verified actually fit your feet. even if the other five pairs from the same pack fit perfectly

that if you don't have spare laces for your boots you will need laces

That you NEVER, EVER wear boots on a hunt that you haven't worn for AT LEAST 10days before going hunting while wearing them....

AllanD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DesertRam:
Try as you might, you can't outrun a turkey on foot.

Please elaborate on this one. This had to have been funny, especially if somebody else saw it.

Posts: 9 | Location: Lititz, PA | Registered: 19 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
During the week of packing and organizing before a hunting trip. You have that thought of packing something not on the list, go do it right then cause you won't remember it later.

Giving your kid packing duties is a good thing. Inspect all of everything they pack.

Deer in a zone that has predators (wolves, big cats) act differently than in areas where there are no predators.

Watch out for little people with ak47s and sks rifles in the shotgun zone. They are usually in big groups.

Remington 7400 jamomatic rifles are not designed for extended range sessions.

Concentrate on your basic shooting skills when you see that big buck. I mean reeeeealy concentrate.

Look at every single round you load in your rifle. From bullet to headstamp. Never take for grated that your 30-06 box does not contain a 270 win.

A 270 win in a 30-06 bar will not cycle the action correctly.

In sub zero conditions, once your feet are wet your screwed.

Bring more warm clothes than you think you need.

Posts: 118 | Location: Lakeville, MN | Registered: 04 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't care if it hasn't rained in November here in the last 50 years. NEVER set up your tent in a dry sandy wash. I don't care how nice and soft and free of cactus and rocks it is. Wink

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Muletrain:
The top of your socks make a better substitute for the forgotton toilet paper. Why ruine a good t-shirt. Cut the top of the sock off with your knife.

I also learned that squatting in the snow with you pants down is not a good time to try to cut the top of your socks off. Big Grin

Also, the elastic tops of socks make a good compression bandage for lower leg wounds. Wink

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Hunters lie. The less experience they have, the more they lie.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I learned to never again shoot a large Mule Deer on the other side of a very deep ravine without having help available to make the drag.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RM007:
The first time hunter, girl friend, or kid always takes the biggest game in camp jumping

I was in a hunting camp with my Dad and 4 of his good friends, after the 5 day trip, I was the only one who got a deer. I felt bad. Wink

Mink and Wall Tents don't go together. Especially when you are sleeping in the Wall Tent.
DRSS .470 & .500

Posts: 1051 | Location: The Land of Lutefisk | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AI22-250
posted Hide Post
I just remember hearing this one....

It's easier dragging a deer by the antlers, rather than the hind legs and It doesn't do any good to drag them by the antlers unless they are pointed towards camp!

Posts: 289 | Location: Holladay,UT (SLC) | Registered: 01 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are a flatlander (like I am...) and go to the mountains 15# overweight, the first few days will literally kill you. Lose the weight before you go; you will be glad you did...

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When you stop to drop your drawers in the squirrel woods and lean your .22 or scattergun against a tree, two things will happen:

1. The trees around you will each have a squirrel that is a voyeur.

2. The .22 or shotgun will be out of reach.

And one other thing I have learned: don't shoot a 12 ga pump at a squirrel from the squat position.

Big Grin

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

posted Hide Post
My buddy learned the hard way not to wipe his butt with poison ivy.

Posts: 7 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 17 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dustoffer:

Serves you damn right for trying to shoot a 12 from a squat position! I'm glad you missed! (I'm really a secret agent for PETA -as some posters on other threads have accused me {I like wolves}) Smiler BTW, the least you could do is to tell us how you came to be firing from a squat position at all! Smiler

( I also liked your signature line. A boyhood buddy (I'm 76) became a US Navy pilot and I heard very early on about " old pilots and bold pilots -but no old bold pilots") Smiler

Posts: 619 | Location: The Empire State | Registered: 14 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BCSteve
posted Hide Post
That a dead moose floats and that a beaver pound can be very deep without a boat or canoe. And apparently I'm the only one in our camp that can swim!! Roll Eyes

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BCSteve:
That a dead moose floats and that a beaver pound can be very deep without a boat or canoe. And apparently I'm the only one in our camp that can swim!! Roll Eyes

It's amazing how many non-swimmers there are when the water's cold and how many bad backs and hearts there are when the hill is steep.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote