THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Things I learned Hunting (That I Wish I Hadn't)
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Things I learned Hunting (That I Wish I Hadn't)
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Things I learned hunting that I wish I hadn't:

Turkey shit REALLY stinks. (Good news is I was reminded of this as I was dressing out a two-year-old gobbler last Friday!)

Posts: 281 | Location: southern Wisconsin | Registered: 26 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
deer are heavy! rope burns your hands! nomatter where you park, if you shoot a deer your vehicle will always be uphill!
i was happy to be reminded of this last week.
good shooting

Posts: 669 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BOWHUNR
posted Hide Post
When you accidently dischage your .30-06 inside your tower blind, it really makes your ears ring!!! Red Face

NEVER BOOK A HUNT WITH JEFF BLAIR AT BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING!

Posts: 636 | Location: Omaha, NE U.S.A. | Registered: 28 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The first time hunter, girl friend, or kid always takes the biggest game in camp jumping

Perception is reality
regardless the truth!

Stupid people should not breed

DRSS
NRA Life Member
Owner of USOC Adventure TV

Posts: 923 | Location: Phx Az and the Hills of Ohio | Registered: 13 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Never forget the bug spray for turkey season. Chiggers show a hunter's crotch no mercy.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted Hide Post
How can something that tastes a good a cottontail (rabbit stew - Yum!!) Stink that bad when you clean them. bewildered

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

Posts: 933 | Location: Casa Grande, AZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Snakes really do bite.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Try as you might, you can't outrun a turkey on foot.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
There are MANY critters in the woods that think of you as lunch...and most of them are small enough to sneak up/in on you without your being able to fend them off. They like to travel in packs too.

It is possible to freeze nearly to death and enjoy it because the shooting is good (duck hunting).

The severity of the 'aw shucks' in directly proportional to the distance from whatever is required to fix it.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wihntr:
Things I learned hunting that I wish I hadn't:

There is only one good substitute for toilet paper, T shirt material.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
I offer a slight correction to the post above. Your *buddy's* T shirt material is the best TP substitute. Smiler

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Fjold, I don't generally wear a T-shirt, so a sharp knife and my jockies have been scraficed in leiu of the above. LOL

Safties aren't, and it's best to walk in the back of a line...

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can't outrun yellowjackets if you really piss 'em off. 35+ stings on my Birthday (Oct 11) while putting in a food plot.

Posts: 373 | Location: Leesburg, GA | Registered: 22 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
that old pony still can buck and damn that knife "is" sharp

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
After many years of hunting it is still possible to miss on a "too easy shot". If this occurs there will be several witnesses who will remind you for years at every conceivable opportunity.

Nice doesn't mean weak.

Posts: 74 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 03 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AI22-250
posted Hide Post
to go along with BOWHUNR --- My best friends pickup truck --- When he pulled the trigger on his 7mm Mag. from inside the truck --- the door is sure to have a nice hole in it!

The trophy and plack we got him proclaimed that he was "The Best Truck Hunter of 1994"

Posts: 289 | Location: Holladay,UT (SLC) | Registered: 01 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Game knows it's season!!

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
AI22-250, I think I would get a new friend to ride with! Big Grin

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All forms of domestic meat cost less per pound than anything I can hunt!
It is much worse for me to have money, than to let me go hunting!
The inconvience of taking a child hunting is not an inconvience at all!
Thanks, Doug

Posts: 478 | Location: Central Indiana | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Always bring TP, and never use the local foliage as a substitute.

MG

One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Madgoat:
Always bring TP, and never use the local foliage as a substitute.MG

Especially the three-leaf stuff! Eeker

Good hunting,

Andy

-----------------------------
Thomas Jefferson: “To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wooly ESS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Madgoat:
Always bring TP, and never use the local foliage as a substitute.

MG

I can confirm that your expired driver's license is also NOT a good substitute for TP.

The truth will set you free,
but first it's gonna piss you off!
www.ceandersonart.com

Posts: 574 | Location: The great plains of southern Alberta | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CLL
posted Hide Post
When wiping your butt with a dollar , make sure it is'nt three quarters two dimes and a nickel .

I Might Be Tired From Hunting ,
But I Will Never Tire Of Hunting .

Posts: 200 | Location: CA,U.S.A. | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Quality workmanship and cheap price do not go together when buying optics.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Never piss up hill!

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cwilson
posted Hide Post
The time to remember that your knife is laying next to the gut pile is when you begin the drag to the truck, not afterward.

cwilson

A well requlated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed - 2nd Amendment U.S. Constitution

Posts: 715 | Location: Boswell, PA, USA | Registered: 20 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AI22-250
posted Hide Post
You also need to remember exactly where you put the deer tag in you wallet, with the Game warden standing over you and you freshly killed buck! Yes Sir, I have one, honest......

Posts: 289 | Location: Holladay,UT (SLC) | Registered: 01 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
Don't forget the zip ties for the game tag and a pen in your shirt pocket can save you a big fine.

Also don't forget your hunting license it makes for one lousy day hunting.

Never give the game-warden your pump shotgun and insist that he check it for a plug.

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
No matter how hard you squeeze the trigger on a 340 Weatherby while aiming at a Moose 50 yards away, if the safety is on that gun ain't gonna go boom.

And you don't drag dead elk uphill, even though that is where the vehicle is setting.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can climb up places that you can't necessarily come down. Trust me.

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DPhillips,

Care to talk about it????????? Smiler

Joe

Where there's a hobble, there's hope.

Posts: 369 | Location: Homer, Alaska | Registered: 04 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
when in the woods in cold weather, wearing several layers. Never pull down your pants, shit in them, and pull them back up.
good shooting.

Posts: 669 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never drive for 2 hours into the woods with a 12 gauge shotgun and a box of 20 gauge shells.
good shooting

one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
Always try to avoid getting the lead rope of a pack horse under the tail of the horse you're riding. And never ever tie the lead rope to your saddle horn, especially when you screw up on the first part!

Been there, done that. Fortunately I landed on my feet after I went over my horse's head after the third jump. -TONY

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drm-hp:
The inconvience of taking a child hunting is not an inconvience at all!

So True !! thumb

Also, You cannot use the new Plastic tip, premium bullets the sign your license when you forget a pen. Roll Eyes(Anyone out there use a old lead tip bullets to sign thier license? or was it only me?)

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

Posts: 933 | Location: Casa Grande, AZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Avoid the exhaust pipe at all costs when you use the truck for a back rest when "going" in the woods.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You find out at the dinner table that you didn't get all the #6 shot out of a pheasant.

Posts: 619 | Location: The Empire State | Registered: 14 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When using a condom as a muzzle protector; Never just dicard it into the back seat of the car. The 'ol lady will tell 'ya you're fulla shit, no matter what excuse you give...especially the one about the muzzle protector

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks"
Hamlet III/ii

Posts: 423 | Location: Eastern Washington State | Registered: 16 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brass thief:
when in the woods in cold weather, wearing several layers. Never pull down your pants, shit in them, and pull them back up.
good shooting.

rotflmo jumping

Swede

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
Always make sure the shells you take are for the right firearm. 22's dont work to well in a 357mag even if it is the same manufacture and length and physical size. Dan Wesson .357 Dan Wesson .22 Roll Eyes

Swede

NRA Life Member