New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bow and 40S@W stops grizzly.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
He shot it in the head with a bow first. Set out in the OP.

Posts: 12259 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Call me a sissy, but I refuse to go bear hunting with a switch.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
Yesterday:

"A grizzly bear pulled a woman from her tent in the middle of the night Tuesday in Montana and killed her, according to wildlife officials.

The victim, Leah Davis Lokan, 65, of Chico, California, was on a long-distance bicycling trip when she was attacked in the western Montana community of Ovando, about 60 miles northwest of Helena. She was killed around 3:30 a.m. before fellow campers in an adjacent tent were able to use bear spray to ward off the estimated 400-pound animal."

Full article:
Grizzly Kills Woman

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, that one gave no time or option.

No bows for me.

Posts: 12259 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
Yes, that one gave no time or option.

"...before fellow campers in an adjacent tent were able to use bear spray to ward off the estimated 400-pound animal."

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am under the impression the camper that got drug off was asleep when bear seized her. So, bear bites down, pistol or revolver goes to bear’s head.

I am pro bear spray. My main problem is with folks who do not even carry spray.

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crshelton:
Call me a sissy, but I refuse to go bear hunting with a switch.

+1.

DRSS

Posts: 2282 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
He shot it in the head with a bow first. Set out in the OP.

Exactly because that is what he had in his hands.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PDogShooter: We are or two different churches on the issue of bear spray. I have stated y thoughts, you have stated yours. Let us let it be at that.

In the world I would make everyone hunting in bear country would be required to carry spray and receive instructions on its use.

Let me ask you in good faith, as it appears to me from all your posting, do you have an agenda against spray?

If so, I object to that agenda or position. Simple, and I have no need for further deconstruction.

There are bears that must be killed now, and there are bears that need deterred. When you refuse to carry spray, then all bears have to be killed.

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am under the impression the camper that got drug off was asleep when bear seized her. So, bear bites down, pistol or revolver goes to bear’s head.

I am pro bear spray. My main problem is with folks who do not even carry spray.

I lived in Montana for over a decade spent a lot of time in the back country. I'm not a bear spray fan. I don't practice with it like I do my 45 or my 270, not willing to risk my life to it. I have had a few (less than a dozen) close encounters with grizzlies, once fly fishing 3 days into the Bob with my 270 a 100 feet away leaning on a tree (might as well have brought a barbell with me). I started carrying my 45 after that when camping or hiking. Never had to use it, talking to them seemed to work, nice to have an option though.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4781 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Let me ask you in good faith, as it appears to me from all your posting, do you have an agenda against spray?

The only agenda I have is to stop the misinformation, bad science behind bear spray.

Spray has it use fullness as an harassment tool works will for that purpose

Having been trained with spray I very will know it limitation.

It was never meant to be a replacement for firearms in a deadly force situation.

When faced with an attacker that is not only stronger, faster and is armed with dangerous weapons.

One would never chose spray to defend oneself.

Unless backed up by deadly force.

I am all for spray used in the proper circumstances. Using it to defend oneself against great bodily harm or death is not one of them.

Would you chose spray against a human attacker if he was armed with edge and impact weapons.

Rushing at you with the intent to use them.

The idea that one would think that using it against much stronger, faster, armed attacker.

That doesn't understand or care if your a human is not very intelligent.

Bear spray was invented because firearms were not allowed in some places and to save bears.

It is better then nothing in places that still do not allow firearms.

It has become a tool used by the anti-hunting anti-firearms, anti-human crowd.

To stop humans from processing firearms and using them in justifiable self defense.

Bears to some have more value then humans.

They would rather see a human hurt then a bear.

If your satisfied with using an inferior weapon to defend yourself against someone or something.

That with in seconds if they make contact with you. Causes great bodily harm or death.

So be it.

I will not give an animal any more chance to do so then a human attacker.

If one is justifiable in using deadly force against a human attracter. Why would one even consider giving a animal a better chance of harming or killing you.

I do not value animal life over human life.

Just the opposite I value human life far over animal life.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would have dropped the bow an grabbed the revolver first.

Posts: 966 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 23 September 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another attack this morning in Idaho.

Island Park Attack

Man injured by grizzly bear after encountering a female with a cub

By Roger Phillips, Public Information Supervisor
Friday, July 9, 2021 - 10:37 AM MDT

A man was attacked by a grizzly bear early Friday, July 9, in the Kilgore area near Island Park in Eastern Idaho after encountering a female with a cub. The man was injured in the attack, but able to return to the cabin he was staying in and call 911. His injuries were not life threatening, and he was treated at Madison Memorial Hospital in Rexburg.

The man was running on a trail near Stamp Meadows Road on Forest Service land around 6:30 a.m. when he encountered the female grizzly bear with a cub, and the female charged him. He laid down in an effort to protect himself, and the grizzly struck him several times before running off. The area has been closed as a precaution.

Idaho Fish and Game and the Fremont County Sheriff’s Office are continuing to investigate the incident.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Grizz Killed

Grizzly bear shot and killed in Montana 3 days after woman fatally attacked

JULY 9, 2021 / 12:13 PM / CBS/AP

Wildlife officials said they shot and killed a Montana grizzly bear Friday that they believe pulled a California woman from her tent and killed her earlier this week in the middle of a small Montana town.

The bear was shot by federal wildlife workers wearing night vision goggles shortly after midnight, when it approached a trap set near a chicken coop about 2 miles from Ovando, where Leah Davis Lokan, 65, of Chico, California, was killed early Tuesday morning, said Greg Lemon with Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks.

The bear had raided the chicken coop overnight Wednesday, and officials set a baited trap nearby hoping to lure the animal back.

"Based on the size of the bear, the color of the bear and the nature of the chicken coop raids, we're confident we've got the offending bear," Lemon said.

On Thursday night, a woman in Ovando came home and "found her door ripped off" and noticed large claw marks, Powell County Sheriff Gavin Roselles posted on Facebook. A short time later, the male grizzly bear was killed in the area.

Investigators gathered DNA evidence from the scene of the attack that killed Lokan and will compare it to samples gathered from the dead grizzly bear to be sure the bear that was killed was the one that attacked Lokan. The results could be available in the next three days.

Lokan, who was traversing the scenic Great Divide Mountain Bike Route when she died, was an avid bicyclist. In 2015, she competed in the Mammoth National Championship Enduro and won the "Women's Enduro 60+" category.

Lokan and two others were camped by Ovando's post office when a bear startled them at 3 a.m. Tuesday before wandering off, Montana wildlife officials said. The bicyclists removed food from their tents, stored it and went back to sleep, officials said.

About 4:15 a.m., the sheriff's office received a 911 call after two people in a tent near the victim's were awakened by sounds of the attack, Powell County Sheriff Gavin Roselles said. They discharged their bear spray, and the bear ran away.

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:

There are bears that must be killed now, and there are bears that need deterred. When you refuse to carry spray, then all bears have to be killed.

I am probably missing your point, but I have to disagree with the above. It is not true that “if you don’t carry spray” all bears have to be killed.

The only bears that “have” to be killed in a no-spray/firearm-only situation are the “a-hole” bears that would attack a human. The normal bears that fear humans(the non a-holes) have little to worry about.

And THAT is the problem that I have with the idea of using non-lethal means to deter “a-hole” bears. You save the life of a bear, but unfortunately that is usually an a-hole bear that is more likely than a normal bear to cause problems for the next human who it encounters.

Looking at bear encounters and attacks, it seems to me that bears are a lot like people: most wouldn’t harm you unless they felt like they had no other option, while others would think nothing of taking your life if they felt like they could get away with your wallet, or an easy meal.

To be honest, I’m happier hearing of a mugger being killed by their intended victim, than I am by hearing about a mugger who ran off after being “deterred” with pepper spray. But that’s just me.....

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jason, I am funny about life. Said that before. I would rather the Mugger run away. No one has to feel the same. In strict legal theory a person just grabbing your arm or your purse cannot justifiably be shot in that moment (all other facts not present).

I carry every time in our two large cities. A firearm is not for deterrence in relation to humans. If I draw, then right now I am confronted with serious physical injury or death. Until that point, I am backing up, hollering to create a crowd, getting out the cellphone to call 911 or record. That said I have felt I needed to draw twice in my life. The person immediately complied (complied in the sense they turned away and ran as I drew snd no shots fired). These were both home invasions. God knows how happy I am for it. I prayed the entire time they would. That is for people in my point of view. Funny, those two experiences came at my house and not in the city.

My point is if you just refuse to carry spray then all bears that confront you become a-hole bears to use your language. The old if all you have is a hammer, then all problems are nails.

The bear Outdoor Writer reports very determined and did kill someone. Spray deterred it. That bear coming into my tent if I was awake would have got the bullet, but spray did work.

No one should want to kill a sow with cubs. That is not to use your language an a-hole bear. If you must kill her, so be it. If you have time and opportunity to use spray you should, but you can’t at all if you refuse to even bring spray.

I disagree with PD Shooter in the effectiveness of spray with bears vs guns (especially handguns) in the hands of folks like me. Frankly, I would have to brain the bear right on top of me.

I think of the Shoemaker 9mm bear. Bear comes out of nowhere at close range to hammer a person. Not much option there.

I also disagree philosophically with PD Shooter’s analogy to bears and humans overall. People have free will. A sow defending her Cubs is not an analogous to someone who targets me with human malice.

I used to be a no spray, shoot every bear that starts forward guy. I saw an interview by an outfielder (sorry, I can’t recall name) who said he never and refused to carry spray, but no one body wants to shoot a cow with cubs. That started my rethinking on the issue.

In non bear country in Wyoming. The folks carrying carried both spray and sidearm along with rifles as primary weapon.

I am more than happy to go to my grave never killing a “bad guy”. If someone forced the issue all the way, then I am not, in my mind killing them, I am taking the safest (to others) high ratio of stopping shots possible, shooting to stop. When they stop, I quit shooting. Whether the person lives or died is between that person and God.

Take care and thank you for the different viewpoint.

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Seems if we repopulated the West with grizzlies, we'd have less people resulting in less polution. Solves two problems Smiler

As Bill Burr said in one of his standups "We need to call the people into a room and tell them that they're the problem and 95% of them have to go. There's a test under your seat and if you didn't bring a pencil you're already out!

I love Bill Burr

Regards,

Chuck

Posts: 4781 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
Until you have been charged by a bear you really have no real basis to say what others that have, should or should not do. When it happens it happens very fast and you don't have time for mistakes or second guessing!

God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1381 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
I stopped two grizzly charges in two consecutive years in the Bob Marshall when I was guiding in the late 60s and early 70s. Both had been wounded by hunters. They were stopped with my 270 at 20 feet or less with the same 150g Partition handloads we use today. That doesn't make me an expert but I do have a bit of experience. Back then I thought the 270 was a cannon lol

Regards,

Chuck