Notify
Tools

Bow and 40S@W stops grizzly.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Pictures and full story at the link

https://www.ammoland.com/2021/...d-40-caliber-pistol/

The bowhunter yelled at the bear. Instead of running, the bear dropped to all fours and charged at the hunter. The bowhunter loosed his shaft at the charging bear, aiming for the chest when the bear had come within 20 yards. The arrow struck the bear in the skull, on the snout. The arrow impact caused the bear to veer to the side, then retreat.

The bowhunter had a defensive firearm holstered, with him, a .40 caliber Taurus 24/7. He dropped the bow and drew the pistol, chambered a round, and fired about five shots at the wounded bear as it fled with a yearling cub of the previous year.

As the bear charged at him for the second time, the bow hunter fired his .40 caliber Taurus, hitting the bear in the chest with the first shot, at about 20- 25 yards.

This disrupted the charge as the bear spun in reaction to the shot. The hunter fired again as the bear spun. He believing he hit the bear with the second shot.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bear spray may have saved both the Sow and the hunter.

Humans come first. But we should use firearms as a last resort.

Posts: 12259 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
Why save the sow? Because she had a dependent cub? To hell with that, shoot them all!

I say this is the 21st century, modern America! Shoot all the bears and wolves, and then get after the buffalo, elk, deer and bighorn sheep competing for grazing land with domestic livestock.
Prairie dogs otta be poisoned out of existence and the side benefit is that it'll get all the birds of prey that get calfs and lambs!

I need a new redwood deck and my cedar siding is dilapidated. Get logging FFS!

Preserving wilderness means depriving Americans of their condos and that is unpatriotic teetering on treason!

I'm glad that sow wandered off to die a slow death alongside her two dependant cubs, that should be a lesson to all other large carnivores out there, YOUR DAYS ARE NUMBERED!

Posts: 9497 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott King:
Why save the sow? Because she had a dependent cub? To hell with that, shoot them all!

I say this is the 21st century, modern America! Shoot all the bears and wolves, and then get after the buffalo, elk, deer and bighorn sheep competing for grazing land with domestic livestock.
Prairie dogs otta be poisoned out of existence and the side benefit is that it'll get all the birds of prey that get calfs and lambs!

I need a new redwood deck and my cedar siding is dilapidated. Get logging FFS!

Preserving wilderness means depriving Americans of their condos and that is unpatriotic teetering on treason!

I'm glad that sow wandered off to die a slow death alongside her two dependant cubs, that should be a lesson to all other large carnivores out there, YOUR DAYS ARE NUMBERED!

Some might not recognize the sarcasm. beer

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So the two of you think he did something wrong? You're acting like he randomly shot a griz for shits and giggles.....you know, like first nations people do on a whim.

What's your point? Sacrifice your life instead of defending it from a charging bear?

Liberalism is a mental disorder.

Posts: 269 | Location: US of A | Registered: 03 April 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
Bear spray may have saved both the Sow and the hunter.

Humans come first. But we should use firearms as a last resort.

So you would have dropped your bow, retrieved your pepper spray and sprayed the charging bear all before it ripped your face off? Admirable!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like the 2nd bear was a yearling not that years cub.

Could very well survive on its own.

The bowhunter had a defensive firearm holstered, with him, a .40 caliber Taurus 24/7. He dropped the bow and drew the pistol, chambered a round, and fired about five shots at the wounded bear as it fled with a yearling cub of the previous year. The cub was estimated to weigh about 130 – 140 lbs. The hunter believed he heard bear noises from what was probably a second yearling cub in the brush

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How close could it have been if he had to drop the bow, draw his pistol, and chamber round before shooting ?

Hang on TITE !!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Says it all in the first paragraph, But there is a long tradition on the internet of commenting before reading.

quote:
The bowhunter yelled at the bear. Instead of running, the bear dropped to all fours and charged at the hunter. The bowhunter loosed his shaft at the charging bear, aiming for the chest when the bear had come within 20 yards. The arrow struck the bear in the skull, on the snout. The arrow impact caused the bear to veer to the side, then retreat.

The bowhunter had a defensive firearm holstered, with him, a .40 caliber Taurus 24/7. He dropped the bow and drew the pistol, chambered a round, and fired about five shots at the wounded bear as it fled with a yearling cub of the previous year. As the bear charged at him for the second time, the bow hunter fired his .40 caliber Taurus, hitting the bear in the chest with the first shot, at about 20- 25 yards. This disrupted the charge as the bear spun in reaction to the shot. The hunter fired again as the bear spun. He believing he hit the bear with the second shot.

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Well, armchair QB'ing is always a delight.

I honestly do not think bear spray is much of a deterrent, especially with a sow and cubs or a very hungry bear. Too bad for both the bears and the hunter. What we do know is neither wanted the confrontation to go the way it did. Life will go on.

~Ann

Posts: 19563 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I read it..... 2 charges, 7 shots ? 2 possible hits ?, bear got away.

Hang on TITE !!

one of us
posted Hide Post
One should read the original article fully.

The bear continued to close the distnce, as the bowhunter fired several more rounds, emptying the magazine on the Taurus. He believed he had hit the bear 3-4 more times, with the subsequent shots from 15-20 yards. When he had emptied the magazine, the bear was still alive but stopped. As he retrieved his bow, to nock another arrow, the bear got up and fled out of sight, over the hill

That handgun has a 15 round mag.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sows make Cubs. We should do all we can to prevent the killing of sows. The bear spray should be first recourse. If he has time to draw and aim a bow, he had time to deploy bear spray on the hip. Of course, the heavy inference is, he did not even carry bear spray. The lack of non lethal option is the fault I find.

Sorry, bear spray is as much for the bear’s life as the human.

The first charge was in defense of the cub. Spray, then shoot.

Posts: 12259 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Read more: https://www.ammoland.com/2021/...istol/#ixzz6zcZTIY9e
Under Creative Commons License: Attribution
Follow us: @Ammoland on Twitter | Ammoland on Facebook

He dropped the bow and drew the pistol, chambered a round, and fired about five shots at the wounded bear as it fled with a yearling cub of the previous year.

Could have this provoked a second charge. Seems to me the bear is going the wrong direction to do much damage. Maybe got pissed and figured WTF he already shot me in the nose now trying to shoot me in the ass....

Posts: 1176 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There appears no doubt he had time to use spray if he had, had it available.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
There appears no doubt he had time to use spray if he had, had it available.

It is almost never advisable to drop the weapon in hand for one you might have time to use.

Had bow in hand at full draw expecting a elk to appear.

Turned/stopped the first charge with a arrow to the head.

Drew his pistol and stopped the other charge.

If you want to use spray against a wounded bear more power to you.

Spray is the least effective against determined charges.

the hunter spotted a bull elk and moved closer. As he was stalking, he heard some brush move. He came to a full draw with the bow and blew on his cow elk call a couple of times. He saw some movement in the brush about 35 to 40 yards away. He blew the cow call one more time. A bear erupted from the brush, into the open, and stood on its hind legs. The bowhunter yelled at the bear. Instead of running, the bear dropped to all fours and charged at the hunter. The bowhunter loosed his shaft at the charging bear, aiming for the chest when the bear had come within 20 yards. The arrow struck the bear in the skull, on the snout. The arrow impact caused the bear to veer to the side, then retreat.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If he can launch an arrow, he can deploy spray. No one should rather kill a sow than use spray. He did not even have spray which is the real problem.

It appears his pistol shooting created the second charge.

One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Sigh, so many armchair quarterbacks.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If he can launch an arrow, he can deploy spray. No one should rather kill a sow than use spray. He did not even have spray which is the real problem.

It appears his pistol shooting created the second charge.

Or no one would rather be mauled then kill a sow.

Having spray in no way guarantees one from being mauled.

The only thing bear spray guarantees is the bear isn't killed right then.

It is not even a guarantee that the bear is not killed later.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is no evidence in this charge he would have been mauled. Draw bear spray and pistol, use spray, if bear continues shoot.

By all accounts his pistol shooting caused the sow to charge again.

All studies suggest bear spray is more effective despite your agenda.

I agree there are times when bear spray is not appropriate. This, from the repotting, is not one of those times. Likewise, ant you have ignored, the issue is the complete lack of spray on hand creating no other option but to kill a sow. That is frankly an ass way of doing business.

There is nothing armchair about this person not even having spray on hand.

I am not dying with a fully loaded gun in my hand, but other means and more effective means to stop charges should be condition one.

one of us
posted Hide Post
if one wants ton talk agendas one should look at the agenda of those promoting spray.

Spray manufactures that are selling a product.

Anti hunters and anti gunners.

That is then real agenda.\

The spray studies are incomplete and use dubious science to come to their collusions.

They refuse to release their data base or the mythology.

The study that shown handguns are more effective has it all right there.

There is nothing hidden there.

https://www.ammoland.com/2021/...-cases-97-effective/

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
The agenda of the meathead above is obvious and well documented here on AR.

Any occurrence no matter how poorly prosecuted is somehow further justification to him.
See the Alaska hunting section for recent examples.

Who knows? I not only wasn't there but I've also never archery hunted nor have I ever hunted elk in the rut.

But if we're to believe the article we do know a sow with a dependant cubs was shot up and run off to die. This is unacceptable and we're that event to happen to me here in Alaska, rather than brag about my poor shooting with a substandard handgun I'd be having a serious conversation with myself regarding never, ever letting that happen again.

As an Alaskan, I believe if we're going to have and appreciate wild places like there are in many western states, were going to have to appreciate them being wild, meaning not shooting every bear you see for one example.

I have seen bears eyes reflect in my flashlight at moose camp, I've had a moose stolen from me that I'd shot. I have bear tooth marks in some of my coolers and a perfectly good wall tent that a friggin bear tore the side wall out of.
That's Alaska, that's why I'm here, it's for the wild places.

Wisconsin has been tamed, it is civilized, congrats, you won. Modern man prevailed! Stay out of AK or at least keep to Anchorage. We like wild out here.

Posts: 9497 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
It's not bowhunting if you have a gun with you popcorn

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4781 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Having gear tore up is different then having your person attacked.

Over years I had many bears screwing around my house and camps

Never had to kill one

There was no bragging about any shooting. The article is based on a Freedom of information request.

That details the attack in official government reports.

If you would have read the original article you would have found that out in the first sentence.

The information about this incident was found in response to a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request. This correspondent has not found any other media coverage.

Where do you get that people shoot every bear they see in the lower 48.

I haven't shot any of the ones I have seen this year.

One can only guess the motives of a person.

Who has no facts to back their statements up and can only attack the messenger.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chuck375:
It's not bowhunting if you have a gun with you popcorn

Might want to tell that to Fred Bear who carried a 44mag on some of his Alaska hunts.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
if one wants ton talk agendas one should look at the agenda of those promoting spray.

Spray manufactures that are selling a product.

Anti hunters and anti gunners.

That is then real agenda.\

The spray studies are incomplete and use dubious science to come to their collusions.

They refuse to release their data base or the mythology.

The study that shown handguns are more effective has it all right there.

There is nothing hidden there.

https://www.ammoland.com/2021/...-cases-97-effective/

Only you say they are dubious. The firearm should be the last line not the first with bears. We have that obligation. He had options and refused to use them bottom of the line.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Having zero personal experience in griz encounters my take from this thread is: shoot to kill if a bear is charging you and worry about your "obligation" to die rather than defend yourself later. Evidently shooting a charging bear is the equivalent of "shooting every bear you see" and you should be willing to die so we can all "have and appreciate wild places". What a crock of horseshit.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ask any Gsme Ranger and he will tell you the same. I have no problem shooting bears that have to be killed right now. See Phil Shoemaker’s 9mm boar.

Sorry if it offends you, but bear spray works. It is a much better option than trying to brain a 600 pound animal running full speed with a handgun. It should be used when you have time to use it. It should be on your person for quick access like a handgun. This guy had time to use it, and still shoot up the bear if he had to. How do I know? He drew a bow. Then he unholstered and manipulated the slide to charge his pistol.

This was unnecessary made necessary by not even having bear spray.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bear spray is a useful deterrent.

It has a poor record in stopping determined charges.

He had the bow at full draw thinking an elk was coming out.

It is very foolish and tactically unsound to exchange a weapon in hand for another as well as time wasting.

Your more then welcome to drop any other weapon you have.

But even Tom Smith the author of Deterrent bear Spray in Alaska” and “Efficacy of Firearms for Bear Deterrence in Alaska.

Says Are you out of your mind?”m about dropping a weapon in hand.

See the below remarks by Mr. Smith

Here’s the problem, according to Brigham Young University professor Tom Smith. In an interview with Sports Afield, he said, “If I’m actually out hunting and I have a gun in my hands, and suddenly a bear comes at me, do you think I’m going to lay the gun down and pick up bear spray? Are you out of your mind?”

Smith is the primary author of “Efficacy of Bear Deterrent Spray in Alaska” and “Efficacy of Firearms for Bear Deterrence in Alaska.” His remark makes it clear that carrying bear spray is one issue, but using it if under attack is a far different matter. The impracticality of hunters using bear spray explains why bear-spray research only provides data on spray use by non-hunters.

Go argue with Mr. Smith if you think dropping your weapon for spray is a good idea.

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post

Posts: 19563 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
Bear spray is a useful deterrent.

It has a poor record in stopping determined charges.

He had the bow at full draw thinking an elk was coming out.

It is very foolish and tactically unsound to exchange a weapon in hand for another as well as time wasting.

Your more then welcome to drop any other weapon you have.

But even Tom Smith the author of Deterrent bear Spray in Alaska” and “Efficacy of Firearms for Bear Deterrence in Alaska.

Says Are you out of your mind?”m about dropping a weapon in hand.

See the below remarks by Mr. Smith

Here’s the problem, according to Brigham Young University professor Tom Smith. In an interview with Sports Afield, he said, “If I’m actually out hunting and I have a gun in my hands, and suddenly a bear comes at me, do you think I’m going to lay the gun down and pick up bear spray? Are you out of your mind?”

Smith is the primary author of “Efficacy of Bear Deterrent Spray in Alaska” and “Efficacy of Firearms for Bear Deterrence in Alaska.” His remark makes it clear that carrying bear spray is one issue, but using it if under attack is a far different matter. The impracticality of hunters using bear spray explains why bear-spray research only provides data on spray use by non-hunters.

Go argue with Mr. Smith if you think dropping your weapon for spray is a good idea.

You are cheery picking info. I never said to drop the pistol only the opposite. I said if you can draw a bow, you can deploy spray with handguns ready to engage.

I bet you Smith would have bear spray. I have also read the full article and bear spray is recommended.

I can provide the Issue and Date.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is interesting the perspectives of folks that don't have the bear in their face. What is the effective range of spray? At 20 feet when spray fails then you'll draw a pistol, rack it, and assuming the bear is only galloping at 15 MPH knock her down at what 3 feet? Oh yeah, all while trying not to ruin your shorts? Make these decisions in moments with multiple self preservation instincts at work. Armchair quarterbacks indeed. I'm glad the chap made it out ok and his kin got to see him again. I would say though, he should bump up to a 10mm.

Posts: 849 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There has been 9 bear fatalities in North America since Jan 2020.

4 of them had Spray used at the time of the attack.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would say though, he should bump up to a 10mm.

What we don't know is what ammo and bullet type he had is 40 loaded with.

That can make a difference in performance.

What is far more important is having a firearm and the willing ness to defend oneself with it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
LH500, I have been bluff charged by a Grizzly bear and there is no time to change from bear spray to a gun or gun to bear spray when it come at you. Luckily the bear in my case did stop before I decided I didn't need to shoot. I grabbed the closest and most available tool, which was my hunters rifle. There is no time to think and every time I will choose the weapon first as I plan on going home at night. Bear spray only if I don't have a gun. IF YOU HAVE EVER SEEN A GRIZZILY VERY CLOSE YOU WOULD UNDERSTAND.

Posts: 296 | Location: Clyde Park, MT | Registered: 29 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yet, this gentleman did have time to draw and aim a bow.

I have send from the beginning, some have to be killed and killed now. This bear gave him enough time to draw and aim a bow. He created a second charge shooting into the bear as it fled away, if you believe that reporting,

One hand on pistol, one hand on spray. No, I would not put a rifle on the ground. The fact scenario is handgun on belt, bow in hand, NO spray.

My issue is mo spray at all being on his person. If he had time to draw a bow, he had time to deploy spray with gun in hand.

I do not doubt DI when he says he had no time. There are no facts stated to make me think otherwise.

Problems with this scenario: 1 No Spray available at all, 2) firing a gun into a departing bear, 3 Facts indicate (drawing and aiming bow) he had time to deploy spray with firearm in his hand, 4) I believe the State Game Agencies over PDShooter about spray effectiveness especially compared to most of our, me included) to brain a bear charging us with a handgun.

Now, I am done responding as we are just repeating ourselves.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have send from the beginning, some have to be killed and killed now. This bear gave him enough time to draw and aim a bow. He created a second charge shooting into the bear as it fled away, if you believe that reporting

[quote]

He had the bow up and at full draw as he was expecting an elk to show up. He did not draw the bow after he saw the bear.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I believe the State Game Agencies over PDShooter about spray effectiveness especially compared to most of our, me included) to brain a bear charging us with a handgun.

Never been personally involved with the politics that go into state agency statements have you.

I have, statements such as those promoting spray are highly politicly motivated.

You can believe them if you want but I don't.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
HM500 you have no clue how fast they come. I did not have time to even get the spray out. The hunter was standing next to me and I reached for his gun and aimed . If the bear had kept coming , I would have had one good shot. I guided in the Teton Wilderness for over 20 yrs and dealt with many bears. Bear attacks often happen at light speed. A short shotgun with slugs and buckshot is best. Basically you are talking out your Ass.

Posts: 296 | Location: Clyde Park, MT | Registered: 29 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why are we arguing with someone who keeps saying "he had time to draw and aim the bow" which is not what happened unless he has information we don't.

I'll listen to the guys that guide in griz country all day, every day over spray huggers.