New
Find
Notify
Tools

arizona coues deer unit 23 with USO
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
does anyone have any thoughts on this hunt. ive been putting in with them for years (before they had a little trouble) and have kept up because they've got all my stuff. they called this week and they said i got the permit for the last 2 weeks in december and the cost of a 1 on 1 hunt is 3950 plus 700 to go 1x1. that seems a little steep with a little checking online with some other guides. any input out there?

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
JMHO from what I've seen on the news and the web, USO wouldn't be my first choice of outfitters. I've looked into Coues hunts and the majority of hunts go for about $3,000 for 5 days 1 on 1, with some going $2400 for 4 days and the highest I've seen here in the States was $4500.

That $3950 + $700 for a 1 on 1 hunt is for how long of a hunt?

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12549 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Damn if I had been putting in for this hunt for years and finally got drawn, I'd just be happy to hunt coues period. USO has put some folks on some excellent animals over the years and I feel in hunting you get what you pay for! Start getting in shape, shooting your rifle and anticipate a great hunt! I hope you shoot the buck of your dreams!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7532 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
I guess it depends on what's included?

I've never hunted with them, so I can't comment on the operation or ammeneties they may offer...

They're still pretty notorious here....

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
its for a 5 day hunt, and i dont know what is included yet. i do know i have to rent a car and drive about 100 miles ans stay in a motel, whether that is inclueded i dont know. there is a package coming in the mail he said that will lay it all out for me. so i guess ill wait a few days to check it out for the inclusives.

one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
Mamba,

You drew a good season and unit!

I'm not SURE if this is still the case, BUT...in the past USO has pretty much forced those who use their application service to also use their guiding services. If that is still the case, you won't have a choice in regards to who you hire as a guide.

You NEED to check the fine print in any contracts you signed with USO to see if this is still the case.

That said, the cost is somewhat high, especially if you have to pay for your own motel and food. There are many reputable guides who provide more services for less money, and they are at the top in also putting clients on good bucks. One of the best charges $2,500 for a 5-day, all inclusive 1-on-1 hunt.

IF -- and that's a big IF -- you can wrest your permit away from USO and hire someone else, I'd be glad to suggest a couple. Just send me a PM. -TONY

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Unit5A
posted Hide Post
If they are who I think they are, they can "go pound sand" as far as I'm concerned. Now that that is out of the way......ha ha.
A December hunt for Coues is rather coveted here, though I have never hunted for them in Unit 23. Not to mention the weather great that time of year. I will actually be nearby in Unit 21 for the same thing in November. In the past I have hunted them down south usually in 35B. There are some left over first come first served tags available down there from this years draw actually. If you archery hunt, you can always buy a tag over the counter as well and go anywhere.
I think the price quoted is rediculous, but that's just me. I'd keep the money and plan for a hunt on your own here. Too bad you can't come early and do some quick scouting on your own if you had the tag. There is plenty of public land to hunt them on, and fairly easy access to most areas, though a 4 wheel drive may/should be recommended. The Game and Fish biologist for the Unit could probably help you out as well if you gave them a call. You would probably have a great time all by yourself, or with the people you met if you came anyway.
I think Coues is harder to hunt than most deer (sneaky little bastards, ha ha), and having good optics to "glass one up" is a real plus. You would probably be doing a lot of it for them if you came. If interested, the website for AZ Game and Fish is www.azgfd.com if you want to do some reading. They even recommend some locations to hunt by unit if you want in there.
Good luck.

"Hunt smart, know your target and beyond"

Posts: 394 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 20 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks for the input i apreciate all of it. when the paper work comes ill read it carefully and see what the deal is. its been years since i started sending them $ and i have a dark feeling that i was suppose to use them, but i dont know how they can make me use them since its my permit, but i guess thats what lawyers and fine print are for. ill let you know how it reads and what the whole deal is

thanks again

one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
Mamba,

I know of at least ONE hunter last year that had the problem with USO.

In the past, rather than use the hunter's address for the permit mailing, they used the USO address. Thus, they receive the permit and basically hold it hostage so the hunter abides by what is in the contract.

The hunter referenced in the first sentence, contacted AZ G&F, obtained a dupe permit and booked with another guide, who I know well. BUT...if I recall, USO then brought suit against the hunter for breach of contract. I have no idea what the result was, however.

Sooo...it can get messy.

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
black m,

If you want to use the tag, I think you're stuck with USO. I believe it's in the contract you signed. They WILL sue you if you try to get around them. That's how they hook you...it's part of their business practice...

Don't let that ruin your hunt.

I wish you good hunting anyway.

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I personally wouldn't give USO a cup full of spit. These clowns sued the state of Arizona in an attempt to monopolize a lot of the non-resident tags. They claimed because they book tropy hunts and the hunters are paying for antlers that they could petion the court to consider game animals, which belong to the public, as an item of commerce. And the damn court originally agreed with them!!!!!!

In other words, the don't consider game animals any different than something you buy at Walmart. Thankfully, the original court ruling was overturned and the states have been able to continue issuing tags as usual.

I'd wade through hell and pay cash money for an ass whipping before I did business with an outfit like that.

Mac

Posts: 1638 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not only Arizona, but they tried to take states rights away from all western states.. They were just trying to commercialize hunting to a new degree, and take rights away that are protected by the 10th, I can not fault them for what they attempted, but I don't agree with what they did.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Unit5A
posted Hide Post
That's why the dirt-bags are so expensive, they're too busy suing everybody.
The cost of tags here went "whacky" after their lawsuits were all said and done, both non-resident and resident.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
USO? Run....don't walk from those SOB's!!!!!!

Posts: 663 | Location: On a hunt somewhere | Registered: 22 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted Hide Post
just to change the subject a little bit back to huntin' Coues deer.... They are tiny!

If you are used to hunt standard eastern whitetails, a good coues buck is fawn sized.

The first Coues buck I ever shot at(note I said shot at, not shot.) was at about 380 yards.

I was used to shooting at Big 250lb farm-raised, grain-fed midwestern bucks.

I shot under it twice! The mistake I made was that the vital zone is tiny on a Coues. A 6 inch circle compared to a 12 inch circle on a regular whitetail.

They are the same size as my Wiemaraner! In fact, he weighs 10 lbs more than an average Coues.

Good luck!! And Practice, Practice, Practice

Lance

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

Posts: 933 | Location: Casa Grande, AZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Unit5A
posted Hide Post
http://www.azgfd.gov/h_f/game_cues.shtml

A little more info on the buggers, ha ha.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kudu56:
Not only Arizona, but they tried to take states rights away from all western states.. They were just trying to commercialize hunting to a new degree, and take rights away that are protected by the 10th, I can not fault them for what they attempted, but I don't agree with what they did.

Oh Kudu, give USO another chance!! Just because they tried to screw us once, doesn't meant they will try again.... Roll Eyes

I wouldn't give USO one cent, but I guess if that is who you're stuck with you may as well get hunting.

MG

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Oh Kudu, give USO another chance!! Just because they tried to screw us once, doesn't meant they will try again....

NO WAY! I am sure they will try another angle when they figure one out. That was one of the few issues you and I have ever agreed on! Wink

I wouldn't piss on thier ass if thier guts were on fire! thumb

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of dzpoorjr
posted Hide Post
don't use USO-get a duplicate tag-lots of good guides in Young area-Globe also!

KILL THEM ALL AND LET GOD SORT THEM OUT!

Posts: 62 | Location: SAFFORD, AZ. | Registered: 22 July 2004Reply With Quote