New
Find
Notify
Tools

Interesting Observation?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
While at a local range this weekend I witnessed something interesting. There was an impromptu shooting competition`going on. About 8 guys shooting offhand, kneeling and sitting. Most shots in the 10 ring won this little pot they put together. I noticed that some of the guys had their foreend support arm out at somewhere around 90 degrees and others at about 180 degrees. Talking to the fellows afterward, I realized all the ex-military were the 180 degree guys and all non military were the 90 degree bunch. I'm ex-military and realize I'm a 180 degree guy.
But I can't remember getting that beat into me at basic training. But it was a long time ago.....

Posts: 258 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland US of A | Registered: 01 June 2001Reply With Quote
<Mauser416>
posted
Was the winner a 90 or 180?

one of us
posted Hide Post
An old ex-marine(geezer) won about $150 bucks.

Posts: 258 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland US of A | Registered: 01 June 2001Reply With Quote
<Youper>
posted
I'm not quite following you. What do you mean by 90 and 180 degrees?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Their forearm pointed horizontally (90 degrees) or down (180 degrees)

one of us
posted Hide Post
In other words, the military people had their elbows under the rifle and the civilians had them sticking out to the side where they didn't do any good--right? Very common among novice or untrained shooters.

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: 02 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It may be very common amoung untrained novice shooters and hunters but I've seen a sack full of American cowboys and African farmers that could shoot rifles pretty darn good offhand, with the worst style you have ever seen....enough to convince me that the proof is in the pudding and excepted methods of shooting such as discussed here the and both eyes open syndrome mean little in the field where only bullseyes and heart shots count..Kinda like Lee Travinos golf swing, it ain't right but the results are hard to argue with..

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41941 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote