Find
Notify
Tools

Thanksgiving in Sonora Mexico
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted
Tomorrow morning the alarm will go off at 4am and by 4:30 I will be on the road to catch a plane in Denver with the destination being Hermosillo Sonora Mexico. This marks the first time in almost 2 decades of guiding and outfitting hunts in Sonora that I have actually bought a tag for myself.

The ranch I will be hunting is my favorite ranch I have ever hunted, not just in Mexico but anywhere I've ever chased giant mule deer. It has produced a number of "net book" typicals and has produced a non typical that I feel is one of the top bucks to have ever come out of Mexico.

Most importantly, to me, is the people I will be spending time with this Thanksgiving. The owners of the ranch are incredible and people that I consider very dear friends. The people that live on these ranches have literally nothing but a job yet the first time I ever met them they invited me into the little ranch house and offered me breakfast. I ate a taco and they offered another. I noticed at that point that the food that was on the table was all the food they had to feed their family yet here they were, owners of almost nothing, offering me, a man they had never met, all of the food they had. It was humbling to say the least.

As great as the ranch is, the people that own it and the people that live there are the real reason I am heading down to spend thanksgiving there. I don't know if I'll kill a deer while I'm there, I really don't care if I do. I am just so thankful to head down and make another memory. On almost every acre of this ranch I have memories of experiences that will be with me until I die. It is truly sacred ground to me.

I hope each and every one of you all have the opportunity to be right where you want to be this Thanksgiving.

Drummond

Posts: 2093 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
Your tale reminds me of "We Shot The Tamales," Jack O'Connor's memorable article in Outdoor Life, where he told about shooting a couple of Coues deer that fed a vaquero's hungry family in Sonora.

Good luck on your hunt, and enjoy Thanksgiving with your friends.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billrquimby:
Your tale reminds me of "We Shot The Tamales," Jack O'Connor's memorable article in Outdoor Life, where he told about shooting a couple of Coues deer that fed a vaquero's hungry family in Sonora.

My favorite O'Connor story! I don't know how many times I have read it, and I still enjoy it immensely!
- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brian Clark
posted Hide Post
Drummond, great story, I hope you have a great trip.

Thanks!

Brian Clark

Blue Skies Hunting Adventures
www.blueskieshunting.com
Email at: info@blueskieshunting.com

African Cape Trophy Safaris
www.africancapesafaris.com
Email at: brian@africancapesafaris.com

1-402-689-2024

Posts: 1013 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 30 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
beware of flaco begote'
have fun and be safe

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
Drummond,
That is outstanding, and your comments about the simple people in Sonora are spot on, they are the main reason I go back year after year. I hope you thump a bigun', call me this weekend if you want any help. Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good luck, and don't get "taken"! We all care about ya, but we don't have enough money to get you back. Besides, we still need you to guide next week too!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billrquimby:

Good luck on your hunt, and enjoy Thanksgiving with your friends.

Bill Quimby

I too love that story. Up to our necks in deer is a good one too.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In bed in Hermosillo listening to it rain! Hasn't let up since noon today and we were lucky to get off the ranch this evening.

I passed on a big deer this morning that's 33"-35" wide but just a young deer. I know there are better deer on the place.

I was meaning to talk to the landowner while I was here and ask about a management deer as well because I've seen some giant 2x's in the 15 years I've guided and outfitted on it but I hadn't thought to bring it up yet. Tonight he told me "if you see the big 2x2 we've seen for the past 3 years kill him"! It's a giant forked horn and for some reason I've always wanted one. He says it's extremely wide this year so he's on my list now too

Anyway, I hope each and every one of y'all had as good of a thanksgiving as I had today! I am truly blessed

Posts: 2093 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Looking forward to photos!

~Ann

Posts: 19563 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Adventures:

I have a bunch and have a video of Pachuco, the ranch hand that fed me breakfast so many years ago, asking me to shoot a javalina for chorizo. I said "not for tamale?" and he said "Javalina para chorizo y buro para tamales". Thought you guys might get a kick out of it so I got it on video.

Got 4" of rain yesterday and into the night. No deer hit the ground today but I have 2 1/2 days left

Drummond

One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Got 4" of rain yesterday and into the night

shocker good thing you are in the desert...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
4" of rain?
time for some tracking....

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Drummond,

Would like to go down there with you one day.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37897 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thomas "Ty" Beaham
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drummondlindsey:
quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Adventures:

I have a bunch and have a video of Pachuco, the ranch hand that fed me breakfast so many years ago, asking me to shoot a javalina for chorizo. I said "not for tamale?" and he said "Javalina para chorizo y buro para tamales". Thought you guys might get a kick out of it so I got it on video.

Got 4" of rain yesterday and into the night. No deer hit the ground today but I have 2 1/2 days left

Drummond

Hi Drummond,
Are you sure Senor Pachuco didn't mean Venado Bura instead of burro?
I find it hard to believe they would eat the help. Big Grin

Ty

Posts: 3049 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 07 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Thomas "Ty" Beaham:
Hi Drummond,

Ty

Yes sir, I'm positive that Pachuco refers to the mule deer here as "buro" with one R. Everybody does. I know that Venado Bura is proper but to the people that live and hunt here it's simply buro.

A burro, with 2 R's, is an entirely different animal.

Anyway, I saw the biggest desert mule deer I've ever laid eyes on today and he was 6 miles from our property. I was snapping pictures but it's hard to make him out. When I get home tomorrow I'll see what I have for pictures. It's a huge non typical.

Tomorrow morning is the last morning, I'll post an update when I get home

One of Us
Picture of Thomas "Ty" Beaham
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Thomas "Ty" Beaham:
Hi Drummond,

Ty

Yes sir, I'm positive that Pachuco refers to the mule deer here as "buro" with one R. Everybody does. I know that Venado Bura is proper but to the people that live and hunt here it's simply buro.

A burro, with 2 R's, is an entirely different animal.

Anyway, I saw the biggest desert mule deer I've ever laid eyes on today and he was 6 miles from our property. I was snapping pictures but it's hard to make him out. When I get home tomorrow I'll see what I have for pictures. It's a huge non typical.

Tomorrow morning is the last morning, I'll post an update when I get home

Thank you sir, I stand corected. Wink

Keeping my fingers crossed for you on your last morning there.
Ty

Posts: 3049 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 07 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good luck Drummond! Can't wait to see some pics. That is a hunt I have always wanted to do badly!

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys! I didnt kill yet and had to come home but will be going back asap! Here are a few pics, I'll get more up soon but I just got home and I am beat!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Eeker

May have to chat with you about one of these hunts!! DAMN that is a nice buck!

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow!

So, when do we leave Smiler

Posts: 1490 | Location: New York | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
welcome home
"biggest deer you've ever seen" ??
that's saying something...

One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
Welcome home Drummond, congrats on what sounds like a great trip.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks guys! I didnt kill yet and had to come home but will be going back asap! Here are a few pics, I'll get more up soon but I just got home and I am beat!
Drummond I am looking for a first class monster muley hunt in Sonora for this year if possible. My wife would like to come along for R&R. Any openings for around Christmas or starting around 26th? My goal is a 200" class deer if possible or at least a very good potential??

Posts: 210 | Location: Montana | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
and had to come home

Drummond,
She must be real sweet (read talented) to leave such a brute as this in the field.

Posts: 1484 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Holy crap,What a Buck!!!! Eeker

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote