THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Wisconsin has sold 10 hunting licenses to babies; a 4-year-old registered a kill

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wisconsin has sold 10 hunting licenses to babies; a 4-year-old registered a kill
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
http://host.madison.com/news/s...7d-d0b3087e9afc.html

Wisconsin has sold 10 hunting licenses to babies; a 4-year-old was youngest to register a kill

13 hrs ago

The state Department of Natural Resources sold 10 hunting licenses to infants after Gov. Scott Walker signed a bill that eliminated the state's minimum hunting age.

Walker signed a Republican bill on Nov. 13 doing away with the 10-year-old minimum age to participate in a mentored hunt.

The DNR released data Tuesday that shows the agency had sold 1,814 mentored hunt licenses to children age nine or younger through Sunday. The vast majority — 1,011 licenses — went to nine-year-olds. Fifty-two licenses went to children under age 5, with 10 going to a child under a year old.

A four-year-old was the youngest licensee to register a kill. Harvest data doesn't show who actually killed the deer, however.

Until this month, a state resident had to be 12 years old to buy a hunting license or hunt with a gun. Children as young as 10 could participate in the mentored hunt program. The new law lets anyone of any age participate in a mentored hunt and the mentor and student are allowed to carry their own weapons.

Hunters killed slightly fewer deer during Wisconsin's nine-day gun season this year than last, according to Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources data released Tuesday.

The season began Nov. 18 and ran through Sunday. According to the DNR's preliminary totals, hunters killed 195,738 deer. That's less than the 197,262 killed last year and the 198,049 killed the year before, but more than the 192,111 killed in 2014.

Overall license sales dipped slightly this year. The agency sold 588,387 licenses authorizing hunting with a firearm during the nine-day season, down 1.7 percent from 2016.

Hundreds of young hunters purchased licenses after Gov. Scott Walker signed a bill Nov. 13 eliminating the 10-year-old minimum age to participate in a mentored hunt.

Again, harvest data doesn't show who actually pulled the trigger; an older hunter could have killed the deer and registered the animal under the child's license.

Opponents of eliminating the minimum hunting age warned putting guns in the hands of young children would put them and other hunters in danger, but it appears that wasn't an issue. No one was killed during the season, although seven hunters were wounded.

Five of them, all at least 24 years old, shot themselves. A 53-year-old hunter was shot during a drive in Ozaukee County but the age of the shooter was still unknown on Tuesday. Another hunter was shot in Waukesha County but both the hunter and the shooter's ages were unknown. The DNR was still investigating both incidents.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9502 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Group hunting is allowed in Wisconsin.As long as the kid is with you it does not matter how old they are.

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Venandi
posted Hide Post
I have mixed feelings on this. Full Disclosure - I don't have any kids but I did drive a school bus for K - 12 students.

Encouraging youngsters and women to take up hunting gives it a more positive, family-friendly reputation. Back in the days of the old traditional deer camps the "goings-on" were usually anything but "family friendly." I'm also in favor of eliminating regulations that don't serve a useful purpose to society.

On the other hand, I have a lot of questions. Young children don't fully know the difference between fantasy and reality. This has been proven and is something that media (especially Disney) has long known and fully exploited. Is a 4 year old able to fully understand all of the ramifications of killing and that death is permanent - the deer is not going to get up and be OK like in a cartoon? Can they comprehend that killing an animal for food is good and perfectly natural while killing for fun is the sign of deranged mind? Will witnessing the killing of an animal affect them emotionally? It could be very positive experience or traumatizing, depending on the kid's stage of development. Years ago I killed a deer and brought it home to gut it while my 7 year old niece was visiting. She watched the process and was fascinated to the point of wanting to know what every part was for. He younger brother ran off crying at the first incision.

The toys children play with and the other things they come in contact with are designed to be as harmless as possible (especially these days.) Then, one day, they are handed a deadly weapon. Do they know the difference? Is a young child strong enough to safely handle a firearm powerful enough to kill a deer? (I had shoulder surgery but even with rehab handling my lightweight .270 was sketchy for a few months.)

It's great that an enthusiastic parent wants to spend 'quality time' with their children and introduce them to the ages-old tradition of hunting and the wonders of the outdoors. (I did not have that when was a kid.) But hunting is a rigorous, physically demanding activity with lots of do's and don'ts. It's hard to know if a kid really wants to take all of this on or just wants to do something cool with Dad. In other words is the parent or the child that is so enthusiastic about going hunting?

Kids grow up at the their own pace. An average 10 year old pretty much has the fantasy/reality thing worked out and understands what's going on while a 12 year old has usually matured and developed enough to become a full-fledged hunter. Not so sure about a 4 or 6 year old.

No longer Bigasanelk

Posts: 584 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
My son has had lifetime hunting license since before he was a year old. He killed his first deer when he was five and has killed over 15 now at age 14.

God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1381 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now then: Define Poaching!!!

No matter what their law says, That's ridiculous!
Fine to buy the license at birth. Avoids any further "cost adjustment" on the cost later.

No damned way a kid under 5 could shoot game and everyone knows it. That's just taking advantage of a poorly written law imo.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6028 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Venandi
posted Hide Post
There is no poaching in this case even if the father did shoot the deer. "Party Hunting" is perfectly legal in Wisconsin. One licensed hunter can fill another licensed hunter's tag as long as both are within voice range of each other. (No walike-talkies, cell phones etc.)

Although it would be a serious violation in many states, a parent can legally fill the tag of their 5 year old kid in Wisconsin but the parent must have a valid license beforehand.

Poorly Written Law? The State wants to sell licenses and they sold 2 instead of one. That looks like a win-win to me.

No longer Bigasanelk

Posts: 584 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
quote:

Poorly Written Law? The State wants to sell licenses and they sold 2 instead of one. That looks like a win-win to me.

You are absolutely correct, the law was written to boost declining sales. From what I have heard, most hunters in WI were in opposition to the law. Personally, I'm opposed to the the law as it is written. I would have like to have the 1 weapon provision (previously law) used in the current bill. Also, I would have like to have seen some wording that mentored hunters would have to use a weapon that is tailored to their bodies. That would undoubtedly eliminate some of the issues pertaining to toddlers getting tags. I'm not entirely certain that parents would be willing/able to customize a stock OR drop 600.00 on a McMillan with a 9'' LOP.

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1090 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
On the bright side, it will give bow hunters something other then the crossbow kill numbers to bitch about. dancing

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1090 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Venandi
posted Hide Post
I was WRONG!

According to State Statute 29.324(4)(5), Wisconsin's group hunting law DOES NOT permit someone else to fill the tag of a youth or mentored hunter.

If the father referenced in the OP did shoot the deer for the 4 year old he was in violation.

No longer Bigasanelk

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Venandi:
I have mixed feelings on this. Full Disclosure - I don't have any kids but I did drive a school bus for K - 12 students.

Encouraging youngsters and women to take up hunting gives it a more positive, family-friendly reputation. Back in the days of the old traditional deer camps the "goings-on" were usually anything but "family friendly." I'm also in favor of eliminating regulations that don't serve a useful purpose to society.

On the other hand, I have a lot of questions. Young children don't fully know the difference between fantasy and reality. This has been proven and is something that media (especially Disney) has long known and fully exploited. Is a 4 year old able to fully understand all of the ramifications of killing and that death is permanent - the deer is not going to get up and be OK like in a cartoon? Can they comprehend that killing an animal for food is good and perfectly natural while killing for fun is the sign of deranged mind? Will witnessing the killing of an animal affect them emotionally? It could be very positive experience or traumatizing, depending on the kid's stage of development. Years ago I killed a deer and brought it home to gut it while my 7 year old niece was visiting. She watched the process and was fascinated to the point of wanting to know what every part was for. He younger brother ran off crying at the first incision.

The toys children play with and the other things they come in contact with are designed to be as harmless as possible (especially these days.) Then, one day, they are handed a deadly weapon. Do they know the difference? Is a young child strong enough to safely handle a firearm powerful enough to kill a deer? (I had shoulder surgery but even with rehab handling my lightweight .270 was sketchy for a few months.)

It's great that an enthusiastic parent wants to spend 'quality time' with their children and introduce them to the ages-old tradition of hunting and the wonders of the outdoors. (I did not have that when was a kid.) But hunting is a rigorous, physically demanding activity with lots of do's and don'ts. It's hard to know if a kid really wants to take all of this on or just wants to do something cool with Dad. In other words is the parent or the child that is so enthusiastic about going hunting?

Kids grow up at the their own pace. An average 10 year old pretty much has the fantasy/reality thing worked out and understands what's going on while a 12 year old has usually matured and developed enough to become a full-fledged hunter. Not so sure about a 4 or 6 year old.

My opinion, but if a kid is still playing with toys, he is not ready to shoot a real gun; I don't care if he is 5 or 12.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
quote:
Encouraging youngsters and women to take up hunting gives it a more positive, family-friendly reputation. Back in the days of the old traditional deer camps the "goings-on" were usually anything but "family friendly."

Must have been a Regional difference.

As far back as I can remember, early/mid 70's, Deer camps here in Texas were for the most part "Family Affairs", and even more so today.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Venandi
posted Hide Post
"Must have been a Regional difference.

As far back as I can remember, early/mid 70's, Deer camps here in Texas were for the most part "Family Affairs", and even more so today."

You're probably right about Texas. Up North, a lot of alcohol is consumed. No too many years ago if you listened to the radio in any small town in WI or MI during deer season you'd hear this song about 4 times an hour: Second Week of Deer Camp

My Dad didn't share my interest in hunting but he did tag along when my uncles took me on my first deer hunt. These "hunts" were just an excuse to get drunk. (To be fair, my uncles were sober for the 3 or 4 hours we actually spent in the woods during the weekend.) I've tried to figure out why Dad discouraged my interest in hunting. Maybe he didn't want to expose me to this sort of atmosphere at a young age.

No longer Bigasanelk

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
I love that song and the "Turdy Point Buck". On my way up to do an elk hunt in western Colorado one year at the Giant truck stop between Albuquerque and Gallup I bought the cassette the group that sang those songs had out at that time.

Those were some of the funniest songs I ever heard.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote