New
Find
Notify
Tools

What it Takes to Kill a Beast
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Today, while daydreaming and reminiscing about past hunts, I got to wondering. It's clear to me, even as a relative newcomer to hunting, that some critters show amazing resilience and resist the hunters attempts to kill them quickly, even when a catastrophic injury is dealt. Then there are those animals that are extremely cooperative. ;c) Example: I hunt waterfowl and other birds relentlessly by most any measure, and it seems very clear to me that some need little more than a scratch to kill them, say, grouse or teal, while others can stand an unbelievable amount of abuse, including what are obviously fatal wounds, and still manage to hold on to life and attempt to--and sometimes succeed--elude being brought to bag.

By virtue of simple anatomy it's clear that some critters are simply built more stoutly than others. A wood duck is no goose. But some just seem to defy logic. My question is, how is that? The will to survive is somehow 'stronger' in some creatures? I mean, I've seen goldeneyes with nothing but a strip of skin holding their heads on dive and swim like the devil. Same thing with seaducks. Then there are big mallards that take only a pellet or two to flop them upside-down. Some has of course to do with how well they are hit--that's obvious. But then there are things that I just cannot fathom.

Same with other animals. Why, for example, does a black bear seem to give in so relatively easily, as opposed to other big critters who are known to flee with no heart left? I guess what I'm asking, in a nutshell, is do you think some animals have a stronger will to live than others?

Anyone care to theorize/explain?

Cheers,

Leighton

Posts: 142 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 15 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think that most animals will drop fast if not aware of one's presence or spooked when the shot is taken, as long as the shot is lethal. Of course, the larger the hole through a vital organ (such as the heart, for example), the soonest it will drop.

Now, if the animal becomes aware of one's presence and flees, or charges, then a lethal shot through the heart (same bullet hole as the first example), may not be as effective and often (not always) the animal will move a distance before it dies. With a charging bear, that extra time between heartbeats may be enough for it to reach you before it dies. The same may be true for other dangerous game.

Of all the moose I have shot through the lungs or heart with my .338WM, only two have walked a few yards, and both had seen me by the time I had taken the shot. All other have dropped on the spot, or pretty close to it.

But, I am not an expert on this subject. I could very well be wrong.

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"only two have walked a few years"

Ray : I ain't pickin' on you cause my fat fingers ain't too good on the keyboard, either, but that's funny!

Posts: 1416 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 8MM OR MORE
posted Hide Post
In my experience it all comes down to the Central Nervous System. Other factors are how much reserve oxygen and blood sugar is there, and how much adrenaline has been released to the tissues.

To kill an animal, you must stop CNS activity. The fastest way to do that is brain shot. A brain stem shot has much the same effect. The heart/lung shot does the same thing, but slower, allowing time for reserves to be put to use. For me, the heart/lung shot has the side benefit of getting much of the blood out of the animals flesh quickly.

I suppose its all well and good, till the animal has the ability and will to put you into the next world. Down at the shot becomes a lot more important then. My only serious encounters of that nature have been the big browns of Alaska. However, really mad whitetail can change your day also.

I kind of adopted a habit of letting the animal have a few minutes, if it is down and not active, just to let the process finish.

Posts: 1944 | Location: Moses Lake, WA | Registered: 06 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of OldFart
posted Hide Post
Interesting thought. I have never known, or heard about, anyone who has hit a moose and lost it, however I seen Elk and even antelope take amazing amount of punishment, and keep going.
I suspect that how active the animal is in its normal activities has some influence on how "tough" the animal is. I'm interested to hear other opinions.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

"only two have walked a few years"
Ray : I ain't pickin' on you cause my fat fingers ain't too good on the keyboard, either, but that's funny!

Thanks. I guess I wasn't paying attention. It was quite funny, though

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray and 8mm pretty much sum it up for big game. I really notice it on bears. When they don't know you are there and you whack em, they just seem to fold. But they see you and you wack them they seem to live alot longer unless you hit them in the spine or head of coarse.
I have seen some elk and whitetails take alot of lead. Hit in the right places too. Makes you wonder.

As far as waterfoul and upland birds. Some are a little more tenatous than others it seems.

Daryl

Posts: 536 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

... some need little more than a scratch to kill them, say, grouse or teal, while others can stand an unbelievable amount of abuse, including what are obviously fatal wounds, and still manage to hold on to life and attempt to

I've seen goldeneyes with nothing but a strip of skin holding their heads on dive and swim like the devil. Same thing with seaducks. Then there are big mallards that take only a pellet or two to flop them upside-down.

Why, for example, does a black bear seem to give in so relatively easily, as opposed to other big critters who are known to flee with no heart left? ...Leighton

Hey Leighton, Excellent thread and outstanding observations on your part.

I do agree with you and use the good old chicken as an example. Perhaps some of the folks reading this stuff have never killed a chicken. They are easy enough to find and anyone can duplicate this as a Test. Remove a chickens head and the rest of the chicken will continue to flop around and even try to walk if you don't have a good hold on it for a good while.

Quite similar to a snake. Remove the head and the rest of it continues to move around quite awhile. So, though they are still moving, are they really dead with their heads removed?

I believe it is just "reflex muscular contractions" on their part, but that doesn't explain how a chicken can walk. Beats me.

Then when you cross into mammals, it seems to have a bit more to do with their typical "threat response" pattern. Quite similar to what OldFart said:

Quote:

Elk and even antelope take amazing amount of punishment, and keep going.

I suspect that how active the animal is in its normal activities has some influence on how "tough" the animal is.

I believe you can see two different sides here depending on just how many mammals of a particular type you have actually seen killed.

Concerning Black Bears, I've seen some that were very reluctant to die with a well placed shot, they had no desire at all to flee and became aggressive before death. Then I've seen the exact opposite with them too. Some try to flee. Just different "attitudes" so to speak.

Whitetail will most always choose to flee "IF" they are not fighting, but at different "flight speeds" depending on their age. When they are in the Rut and happen to be fighting another Buck, it isn't difficult to shoot both Bucks.

Other than that, young Whitetails will go into the flight mode whenever possible. Older Bucks tend to just slowly and carefully ease away when confronted with a situation they are not comfortable with. Shooting them when they have no idea at all you are around does help considerably in getting them on the ground.

By the way, killing an "old Doe" can be very difficult. They are extremely wary and difficult to pattern once they realize hunters are in the woods/swamps. But, they will drop with a good shot.

Killed a lot of "Stock Chasing" dogs over the years too. There is a difference with them. Some attempt to flee and some attempt to fight. The ones which tend to stay and fight are the ones folks usually have as a "Guard Dog". You can tell easily which way the dog will react if you whistle to get it's attention just before blasting it. If it spots you and then heads toward you barking and snapping, it holds onto life much more than the ones that realize they are somewhere they have no business at all and "attempt" to get out of range.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think it has a lot to do with individual experiences, if you happen to have a tough time downing a particular animal it sticks in your memory more than all the easy kills...

Posts: 2359 | Location: London | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Boghossian, I think your answer has a lot to do with percieved toughness.

That said, it remains clear wild animals are individuals in and some will be tougher than others. Add to this equasion "circumstance" and strange things can happen.

I have noticed that gravid sows are more tenacious than when they are not.

I have also shot a coyote with a .30-06, taking out the heart and ripping the off side shoulder off. This coyote made a 10 meter dash into thick brush. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seem it myself.

Then, most coyotes just flop over when hit in the same place with a .222rem.

Posts: 2283 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
I agree with the others on the "see the hunter/don't see the hunter" factor.

When flushing pheasant or jumping ducks off of a creek the birds know their on them menu fly for life; the adrenaline pump is in gear and survival instincts have taken over.

When pass shooting or taking them over decoys their mind is on travel or grub and they seem to not know what hit them.

Same for big game. I used to hunt whitetail by pushing the river bottoms. The deer were spooked, intense, and had the fight for life mechanism engaged. Tougher to put down.

Lately when shooting deer from a blind between their pasture to bedding area they don't really know what hit them. If they are not immediately mortally hit they tent to trot a bit or turn around.

Regardless, wild pheasant are armor plated and have super-avian powers not understood by modern man. They use their stun-ray and confusum-ray (I can't see the ray, but I know they have power over me) just as they are taking off. Then, just as their tail (made of composite fiber, Kevlar most likely) is directly between me and their head/heart/lung they allow me to regain my senses and waste a few shots.

The cackle sound they make is wicked laughter and I am the object of their scorn.

Posts: 1064 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
I believe Ray & others are spot on about an animal which is not alarmed dropping quicker to a vital shot than one that has the adrenalin (sp?) pumping! Have seen it many times on deer.

Quote:

So, though they are still moving, are they really dead with their heads removed?

Hot Core, good question regarding snakes, especially.

Many years ago, my son wanted a rattlesnake skin for a hatband and had skinned a small one. He and a friend were playing with the "dead" snake (head,skin & rattles removed, of course). They teased it and it would coil up and actually strike in response. Could this be simply nerves reacting? Beats me!

I do believe certain species have a much stronger will to live than others. As illustrated by Express, the coyote is one tough hombre!
Quote:

I have also shot a coyote with a .30-06, taking out the heart and ripping the off side shoulder off. This coyote made a 10 meter dash into thick brush. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seem it myself.

Last year I shot a coyote trotting broadside about 35 yards out; he had no idea anyone was in the area. Perfect shot placement through both shoulders with a 300 gr. hornady soft point from 375 h&h. He reversed directions and ran a semi-circle path, covering 30-35 yards before he colapsed. Hit another at about 75 yards coming to a call w/200 gr. nosler partition in front shoulder, knocking him down where he stood in the edge of a caliche road. He flopped around a bit and wound up in knee high grass. When I went down to look at him, he was gone! Tracked him for 40 yards through some really thick brush and lost the blood trail. Was walking circles trying to pick up the blood when I heard what I thought was javelina clacking their tusks at me. Upon further examination, found a large pool of blood where the sound came from. The noise had been the coyote's shattered bones rubbing together when he spooked and ran from his hide. Now that is oune tough animal. Never did find him. Granted, neither of the above coyotes were shot with a proper bullet for coyotes, but one would think that even without proper expansion, considering shot placement, either would prove fatal quickly.

Regards,
hm

Posts: 903 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Last year we were beating up on seaducks in the outer Boston Harbor, and had a pile of both scoters and eiders on the deck. Each one had been perforated with BBs and retrieved by dog in the surf. As the shooting slowed, we snapped a few pictures and each of us stroked and admired the big, tough seagoing waterfowl. At this time the dog decided he needed to empty his breakfast on board. With a self-bailing Maritime skiff, the water sloshes around the deck when stationary, and carried the mess all over the deck.
Unfortunately, a lot of it was washed onto some of the birds. My partner, after carefully booting his dog in the arse, began grabbing birds by limp neck and dunking them in and out of the water to perform a cursory clean on them. Two of us watched as took a soiled scoter by the neck, talking to us as he did. This particluar scoter had been particularly badly hit, with both head and both wings mangled. After a few dunks, my bud decided he was in need of a better cleaning, and figured he'd let the bloody, soiled mess flop around in the waves for awhile (spin cycle!). He casually tossed the bird overboard as he reached for the next. As I watched, sure as shit that scoter literally seemed to come back from the dead upon hitting the water--I actually saw his eyes go from that blank dead stare to wide-eyed scared-- and immediately wheeled from where he was floating on his back to rocket straight for the bottom! I was so flabbergasted all I could do was laugh and point. The dog was ordered to pursue, and a minute or so later, the scoter came up for air and was nabbed. Again!

That bird was knocked from the air at 30 yards, and was chock full of BBs, his body broken. He had been retrieved, had his neck wrung and had ben prone on the deck of a rocking boat for at least an hour. But when he felt that cold Atlantic water, apparently decided he just wasn't ready to toss in the towel.

Some thoughtful and neat responses. Thanks!

Leighton

Posts: 142 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 15 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've observed much the same on diving ducks -- in their case the incredibly thick feathers serve as armor against the shot. A friend and I shot canvasbacks, redheads and bluebills this year. A couple of cripples survived 2 or 3 more swats on the water before expiring (with the same loads like #4 Bismuth and #3 high velocity steel as I'd not brought any small-pellet loads for the purpose).

Also went on a wood duck hunt around a flooded cornfield -- incredible shooting and darn tough finding any but the instantly dead birds afterward, due to their incredible tenacity and instinct to hide underwater.

All good reasons to have a good dog, and send it after cripples ASAP!

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: 02 June 2001Reply With Quote