New
Find
Notify
Tools

Colorado Non-resident Draw Questions
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
After this year, I will have 12 points for both elk and mule deer in Colorado.

My preference would be to rifle hunt for the mule deer, open to bow, muzzleloader or rifle hunt for elk.

For really quality units, how many points pushes the odds of drawing in your favor?

-----------------------------------------
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. -Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Posts: 891 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 07 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RAR60
posted Hide Post
With what is known as "Point Creep" especially CO
The top tier it takes 20 25 pts for Elk. I had 15 for Mule Deer and applied for Unit 5 and got it because I was next on the list of applicants. Went on the hunt and granted very few Deer tags but they run an Elk season same time and every AM going up mtn it looked like I-70. You couldn't relieve yourself without somebody in orange seeing you. If I were you, I would see which you units you have a good chance to draw to with your points and go hunting. Also, the way CO is going who knows what the crazies will come up with.

Zim 2006
Zim 2007
Namibia 2013
Brown Bear Togiak Nat'l Refuge Sep 2010
Argentina 2019
RSA 2023
SCI Life Member
USMC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If I were you, I would see which you units you have a good chance to draw to with your points and go hunting

Couldn’t agree more, I have 20 plus elk points and I’m kinda in no mans land, can’t seem to gain any on the hunts that take a few more points than I have.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the insights guys, not ideal! Given I live in TZ, it is apply every year and hope I get drawn, I was hoping to get to the point where I had a reasonable degree of certainty so I could plan a bit more, but that seems unlikely from what you are saying.

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. -Henry David Thoreau, Walden

One of Us
Picture of cooperjd
posted Hide Post
you can use tools like gohunt to get an idea of your draw odds.

There are some tags that you could draw that would give you a great hunt. The really really great tags will take 20+ points now, so way more by the time you get there. talk to some booking agents that have a lot of hunts and figure out what areas are good with the amount of points you have.

Posts: 779 | Location: Mt Pleasant, SC | Registered: 19 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cooperjd:
you can use tools like gohunt to get an idea of your draw odds.

There are some tags that you could draw that would give you a great hunt. The really really great tags will take 20+ points now, so way more by the time you get there. talk to some booking agents that have a lot of hunts and figure out what areas are good with the amount of points you have.

Great thoughts, thanks Cooper.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The point tag system has gotten out of hand. You now need to plan a hunt sometimes out 20+ years just to have a chance for a tag.

One of Us
Picture of M.Shy
posted Hide Post
I totally agree with idea to eliminate any and all bonus/special points for any drawing and also any special drawings available after you turn 18 and reason for it…you gotta cut your teeth on simple hunting so you can earn it and appreciate it instead of your Daddy holding your hands and telling you “ shoot that big one “ and then do all the work for you
That’s not how you make a hunter out of young man/woman

Idaho is prime example…you can only apply for one special tag, no points, one kill in lifetime and you gotta come up with full price when you apply
Hell, even for whitetail as non resident, you only get to hunt one specific unit…what a great novel idea and BTW I hunt as nonresident there

Posts: 124 | Location: Idaho & Montana & Washington | Registered: 24 February 2024Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With Colorado releasing wolves you can bet that deer, elk and especially moose populations are going to drop. That will result in fewer permits.......
Bruce

Posts: 372 | Location: Gillette, Wy USA | Registered: 11 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gillettehunter:
With Colorado releasing wolves you can bet that deer, elk and especially moose populations are going to drop. That will result in fewer permits.......
Bruce

Fewer permits happened this year for NR
Colorado reduced the non resident quota by 30%

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote